Chronic illness

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Out of interest, How do you feel when people say fibromyalgia isn’t actually an illness, especially if it’s the medical profession saying that?
Have you experienced that much? I’ve had hospital admissions with patients who find they’re not taken “seriously” when they present with this.
Hope I don’t offend anyone saying this I just wondered if it’s the norm.
Hearing so many horror stories makes me so grateful that I haven't had to come up against it with my own FM. From the word go, my GP has been brilliant with ordering appropriate tests, handing me the reins in deciding my own treatment plans, and pursuing ideas for interventions. My diagnosis also took months whereas some people have to endure years of being poked and prodded and verbally abused before they reach this conclusion.

Most of the criticism and denial comes from old-school medical professionals who haven't bothered keeping up with the latest research on FM, so they're attached to this idea that it's entirely somatic and related to trauma. (Even if it were, why do they think it gives them the right to be so cruel and dismissive when a patient is asking for help?) As for newer clinicians, they are taught "when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras" and link that with the increase in cases of Munchausen's. They're fresh out of the educational womb and excited to diagnose on what can be observed, and FM doesn't fit neatly into that. Also cruel and dismissive.

I have vasculitis, a rare chronic autoimmune disease which attacks my blood vessels eyes , skin and joints...I was initially on high dose steroids and chemotherapy since my diagnosis ( fortunately was able to stop the steroids this August, but not after putting on a shed load of weight- sadly still on chemo)
I now have a disabled parking badge as mobility is an issue due to the lasting peripheral neuropathy in my feet...having said that I was able to return to work as a nurse after being off I'll with a horrendous ulcer on my leg ...although I can only work maximum of 3 days / week as I still get fatigued very easily

This is awful. I have a chronic condition and am so lucky to have a lovely GP but then living in quite a rural area means they can spend a little more time.
I really wish everyone on here good health. x

I have endometriosis, Fibro, ibs. chronic migraine and ptsd my doctor is starting to annoy me she just doesn't listen to me at all... hope all is well

Reactions: 1