Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Does anyone else prefer the build up to Xmas over Xmas day and boxing day?
I feel bad for that, but there's something about the build up that's great. The street lights, decorations, music, atmosphere, the jolliness of it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
My kids asked me why we don't have an elf, so I told them the truth. That it is a wacky game parents with nothing better to do play tricks on their kids and that your mama has enough to do without cleaning up flour a fake elf spilled everywhere. Then they blew the lie wide open in their school and nearly caused ww3.

#itisallalie

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

EnoughAlready

VIP Member
I used to love putting the Christmas tree up at the bay window. It feels pointless now though as the kids have left home. I used to get excited to plan that right about now.

I had some the other day. I love them!
Put your tree up in your fabulous bay window Ruby Red! Do it for yourself, why not! Christmas to me is a feeling and if that makes you feel good do it regardless of the kids moving out. I’m that person who loves seeing people’s trees in windows on a dog walk at night, little bit of light in a crappy world brings some joy, and you never know who you’ll cheer up with yours in your window! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 27

roarke

VIP Member
I enjoy the build up to Christmas more than Christmas day itself. The expectations, the films, the weather, everyone is a little happier in the festive season. Christmas Day is verging on traumatic quite often 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Christmas Eve boxes are one of the biggest “basic bitch” movement of the last ten years.

it just get more and more extra every year,
- Trees go up in October,
- A fucking ADHD elf bounces around your gaff for 24 days because we don’t have enough to do before Christmas.
- Boxing day sales start on the 5th of December.
- Christmas day and “Santa” now includes Christmas Eve boxes and Pre Santa gifts,
Just what every child needs,
More fucking presents 12 hours before they get spoilt rotten by a fictitious character designed by Coca-Cola.

roll on January,
Although the January sales probably start a week on Tuesday.

I’m about to go queue for the Black Friday sales,
Black Friday in the uk - because, we haven’t yet adopted thanksgiving but hey,
there’s always 2022. 😐

happy Easter, eggs will be in Tesco in 2 weeks 😐

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

dancingqueen5678

Chatty Member
it's basically one more day until christmas explodes everywhere. Halloween holds the line but as soon as Nov 1st comes that is it, we're on the home stretch. How are we all feeling?

• Haha
Reactions: 24

PinkMariner

Chatty Member
only just found this thread! Sorry if this has already been done, but please tell me your family traditions - preferably weird ones that you didn't know were weird until you grew up!

We have loads in our family, but my favourite is meat pie day. Meat Pie day started when my eldest sister was born, and with the arrival of children my parents decided they didn't want to leave the house on Christmas day. My Grandma was sad at the thought of not having her full family around her over Christmas, so the Saturday before Christmas became a Meat Pie Day - My Grandma made the most awesome steak and kidney pies, so she would make a big batch and we would all go round to her house - there would be crackers, party games, all the adults would get tipsy while us kids made up silly shows - just like Christmas Day, but with Meat Pie instead of Turkey. Since my Grandma passed away, My mum has taken it over. It is by far my favourite day over the festive period! I thought everyone did Meat Pie day till I was about 14!!

• Heart
Reactions: 24

StrawberryCream

VIP Member
I posted my tree on another thread but I was actually meant to post it on this one because I said I would 😂
I didn’t realise there were 2 Christmas threads 🤣 so sorry if you have to see my tree twice now 😅
8BE88923-9971-45A4-9B9F-49CF4755FAF2.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
I know this is last years thread but it’s starting. I noticed B&M have started bringing out their little gift sets for Christmas and a few Christmassy bits are on the home department shelf.

• Wow
Reactions: 22

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I love you and your kids. I need an update to this story though!! What happened? Were parents knocking your door? Were the school involved? Was your name mud at the gates? I need answers!
My name was worse than mud, think dog poop and you'd be closer. I have three children. The middle one is a wild card and took great delight in sharing that the elf couldn't be real because toys don't move and Toy Story is just a movie, it's not real and so on. Some little kid said to him "the elf is magic" so my punky 8 year old performed a magic trick involving a 50p piece to prove that magic is a trick just like the elf. That kids mum accosted me at the school gates and said we had ruined Christmas, I was tempted to quote the Grinch but thought she was going to thump me, so just smiled and said Christmas is a myth..... and carried on my way. I have never set out to ruin anyone's Christmas but I won't lie to my kids just so you can lie to yours. #grinch

If you want to play with an elf for 24 nights in December. Then go ahead, fill your elfish boots. But don't expect everyone else to lie for you, just because you want to throw toilet roll around and pretend that baking flour is snow. Some of us have sofas to sit on and bon bons to eat, we don't have time for that shit

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Ensay

VIP Member
My family and I cut back on Christmas a few years ago. We no longer buy for siblings, I just buy for my mum and my nieces/nephews.

It sounds cheesy, but Christmas isn't about the presents for me. It's the time off work, seeing family, having good food/drink and falling asleep in front of some naff films on the telly. I get a couple of small presents and that's enough for me. :D

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
If you have small kids please dont worry about Christmas. When theyre little they know the value of nothing and are really easily pleased.

Ive definitely made a rod for my own back with Christmas and really wish I hadnt now my kids are older 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 20

jackolantern

VIP Member
Exactly. There’s 26 of us in my family and we all have decent jobs, so I don’t understand why they want to buy 25 diluted presents for Christmas. Every year I run out of ideas and they end up with tat. The idea of secret Santa came up a few years ago and it caused a ruckus like no other. You’d like they were teenagers judging by their reactions.
Oh god not the dreaded SS. We suggested that one year thinking it would be a good compromise, you know expecting the usual £5 or £10 budget for a small token gesture. No such fucking luck, wait for it... £100! Mate, that's more than I spend on you usually! Their reckoning was, if we were only buying for one person, then the £100 would just be the price as if we were buying for everyone and I was like yeah but that's the point, we are trying to save not just relocate it to one place 😭 :rolleyes: 😅

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19

cuttle90

Ooooh I've found my people - bloody love Christmas. Fav thing to do is the decorating. I've started my shopping too and booked to take kiddos for breakfast with santa and on a santa steam special. Pic of my smallest two last year after the main tree was up
tree.jpg
:love:

• Heart
Reactions: 19