Children with Developmental Delay

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How’s everyone getting on, has there been a successful settling back into the routine after Christmas?

We had a very unsettled festive season, the most out of sorts my son has been. But he settled back into school very well and we’re noticing positive developments. I’m feeling a bit more hopeful about everything ❤
Glad your son has settled back into school well :) Hopefully being back into that routine will help everything! Do you think Christmas was a bit overwhelming for him this year? My little boy had a funny couple of weeks he had a virus of some sort, nothing serious but he barely played or made any noise for days. The dr didn't seem too worried but I was! Then once that shifted he sparked back and has a good few days! He's seen the physio again and is going to get a lycra bodysuit to help with his sensory issues and hypotonia. I'm hoping that will help a lot! X

Hello you all, Reading your posts bring me.back. I think I may be a.little ahead of you. 14year old twins. Both autistic, v different. One had GDD initial diagnosis. Allow.yourselves the time to grow with the challenges and expect to feel down too. Life goes on regardless. My God time has flown by in this house. My other son, 19 is on spectrum.too so it's all types of autism here. The best I can say is we live 'along side it', it shapes everything but does not dominate. We try most things and even travel too. Dare I say, we are happy. I think I am the parent I was always meant to be. If your children are happy you are doing a super job. They.will learn nothing if not happy.
Go easy on yourselves💙

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Glad your son has settled back into school well :) Hopefully being back into that routine will help everything! Do you think Christmas was a bit overwhelming for him this year? My little boy had a funny couple of weeks he had a virus of some sort, nothing serious but he barely played or made any noise for days. The dr didn't seem too worried but I was! Then once that shifted he sparked back and has a good few days! He's seen the physio again and is going to get a lycra bodysuit to help with his sensory issues and hypotonia. I'm hoping that will help a lot! X
He had been ill the week before and had to stay off until we got the results of a PCR (just a cold) so he was off/back/off again. Christmas was fine - he was probably more into Christmas than he’d ever been before but new year was tough - he was missing his routine, his dad was off and I was at work and it was pretty grim. We’re hoping to get him into the play scheme he goes to in the Easter holidays.

Being under the weather I think does have a huge impact on them too I think. My son can’t tell us (not even just in words but he won’t point out if he’s got a sore anything).

That sounds amazing, let us know how he gets on with his bodysuit ❤

Hello you all, Reading your posts bring me.back. I think I may be a.little ahead of you. 14year old twins. Both autistic, v different. One had GDD initial diagnosis. Allow.yourselves the time to grow with the challenges and expect to feel down too. Life goes on regardless. My God time has flown by in this house. My other son, 19 is on spectrum.too so it's all types of autism here. The best I can say is we live 'along side it', it shapes everything but does not dominate. We try most things and even travel too. Dare I say, we are happy. I think I am the parent I was always meant to be. If your children are happy you are doing a super job. They.will learn nothing if not happy.
Go easy on yourselves💙
Thank you for posting, it’s so great to hear from someone further along in the journey. It’s giving me hope for the future. I hope to be the mum I was meant to be someday, just now my head is telling me it’s all my fault and I can see that he prefers to spend time with his dad and that’s taking a bit of adjusting.

This week has given me hope too with the positive changes ❤

Reactions: 1
He had been ill the week before and had to stay off until we got the results of a PCR (just a cold) so he was off/back/off again. Christmas was fine - he was probably more into Christmas than he’d ever been before but new year was tough - he was missing his routine, his dad was off and I was at work and it was pretty grim. We’re hoping to get him into the play scheme he goes to in the Easter holidays.

Being under the weather I think does have a huge impact on them too I think. My son can’t tell us (not even just in words but he won’t point out if he’s got a sore anything).

That sounds amazing, let us know how he gets on with his bodysuit ❤

Thank you for posting, it’s so great to hear from someone further along in the journey. It’s giving me hope for the future. I hope to be the mum I was meant to be someday, just now my head is telling me it’s all my fault and I can see that he prefers to spend time with his dad and that’s taking a bit of adjusting.

This week has given me hope too with the positive changes ❤
How have things been now he's a bit more time in his routine?

• Heart
How have things been now he's a bit more time in his routine?
Much better thanks. He’s had a touch of the cold but he’s been fine to go to school. He’s getting more involved in getting ready - he’ll get his shoes and keep me right with the order I’ve to dress him in 😂.

His intentional communication is improving (he got the milk and bowl out to show he wanted porridge for breakfast) so I’m feeling hopeful. I didn’t know what school could do to unlock things but something is working.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Much better thanks. He’s had a touch of the cold but he’s been fine to go to school. He’s getting more involved in getting ready - he’ll get his shoes and keep me right with the order I’ve to dress him in 😂.

His intentional communication is improving (he got the milk and bowl out to show he wanted porridge for breakfast) so I’m feeling hopeful. I didn’t know what school could do to unlock things but something is working.
Wow that's amazing what a super star! Really great communicating :) Obviously doing him the world of good!

• Heart
@LennyBriscoe Was just thinking about you! Hope half term has gone/is going well :) x
We had a lovely few days, thank you! He was reluctant to get ready yesterday morning but I think that was much to do with my husband starting work later (him being around threw him). But he was fine when the bus came and he was no bother getting ready this morning.

How are you guys getting on? ❤

• Heart
Parents of ASD children. Just how on earth do you cope? I am so worried for a friend who just can’t accept her little ones path. Particularly struggling with daily meltdowns, no communication whatsoever so little understanding yet of what causes his meltdowns or what he does/doesn’t like. I feel very helpless and don’t feel like I’m supporting enough

Parents of ASD children. Just how on earth do you cope? I am so worried for a friend who just can’t accept her little ones path. Particularly struggling with daily meltdowns, no communication whatsoever so little understanding yet of what causes his meltdowns or what he does/doesn’t like. I feel very helpless and don’t feel like I’m supporting enough
I posted Welcome to Holland as I had to remind myself that wishing my son was neurotypical/at the correct stage developmentally was not only pointless, it was stopping me seeing the good things in our lives.

My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2, he was 6 last week. He has Autism and Global Developmental Delay and just now, the latter is the biggest hurdle for us. The uncertainty is crippling for me, it’s not something I deal with well. In saying that, my level of acceptance has improved over time - the irony? I am in a 12-Step fellowship which is based on acceptance being the key to peace of mind!

My son went to a developmental nursery and some of the mums from there are in a What’s App group. That has been a life saver for me. I can be honest and know that they’ll understand. We support each other and celebrate the victories too. There are a lot of ASD groups from my own area, maybe your friend could join some? Or if her child is in a supportive setting, could she set a What’s App group up?

The Health Visitor played a huge part in the process for us. I appreciate the last two years have changed things HV wise and maybe your friend’s child is at school so that wouldn’t work but she set the ball rolling in times of diagnosis and accessing services. She referred us to everyone we needed to see and she was brilliant. In Scotland, once your child goes to school their Head Teacher becomes the ‘named person’ but I’m not sure how it works elsewhere.

If the child is at school, are they in an appropriate setting for their needs? I know this is a huge issue (our council has an inclusion policy so far too many kids are in the wrong environment) and your friend may have to fight. Do they have a Paediatrician assigned to them? It’s different all over the country but in Scotland, we were under a Community Paediatrician until my son went to school.

Does your friend have a good support network? We had to adapt quickly and we’re a good team (my husband has a totally different outlook on things). It’s important she has people she can be honest with (sounds like you come into that category). It’s ok to grieve; I still am it’s just not as acute. It’s ok to feel the family has been cheated and that it’s just unfair. If your friend keeps her feelings to herself then they will fester. She is not a bad person for wishing things were different or getting frustrated or crying a lot, even if she thinks she is.

My son is non-verbal. We have been lucky that he’s been able to indicate quite well what he needs since he was little but that’s coming on leaps and bounds since he started school. Speech and Language Therapy have been the most disappointing part of the process for us (we’re on our fifth Therapist in 2 1/2 years) but now he is able to point to his teachers what he wants on a picture board and understands that’s what he’ll get. We’re lucky he goes to an ASN wing at school and is in a class of 8 with 4 members of staff. Nobody can say he’ll talk but they can’t say he won’t either. The intentional communication is coming on leaps and bounds. Maybe your friend’s child could understand Makaton? It’s never worked for my son but has for other kids I know.

Meltdowns are so tough, and distressing for everyone. It’s maybe coming from frustration or under-stimulation/over-stimulation. Or it could be something in the environment - too light/too dark? Too noisy? I went on a sensory workshop put on by our Occupational Therapy Dept at the kids hospital, it was interesting. Some can feel things opposite - my son hates getting his haircut and that maybe because of the falling hairs we aren’t aware of feel quite heavy and sharp to him.

Does your friend work? If so, is she aware of what she’s entitled to as an unpaid carer in terms of time off for appointments etc.

Are they claiming what they’re entitled to? My son is on Disability Living Allowance. The form is awful, having to think of the worst case scenario for each question but it might make things easier. Before my son started school we were going to use it for private SALT but the waiting lists are huge. Now most of that money goes on feeding my son’s addiction to berries and expensive scampi 😂.

It is a really, really tough road. I have no other children so my parenting experience is solely autism and GDD and that overwhelms me sometimes. Many a day I have a cry because my son is still in nappies at 6. But Holland is beautiful. When we see my son picking what he wants to watch on his iPad or putting his rubbish in the bin or coming in for a cuddle then that fuels me to carry on. And we just don’t know what the future holds - I have to work on accepting that good things will happen but I know they will. Your friend will get there and they’ll find their rhythm. But it will be easier if they’re getting the help they’re entitled to. Sending your friend lots of love ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
😭😭😭 This is lovely

Hi @Giftinghell ❤ How old is your friend's son and is it a recent diagnosis? There is definitely a grieving process when your child has a condition like asd. I think it's a lifelong grieving process because at every birthday and milestone there will always be a reminder of what could have been. It's a big adjustment to make in you're mind and it's always coupled with guilt for feeling sad or wishing things could be different.

I think the major thing is having a good support system. You being there to have a cup of tea and a chat with will mean a lot. I'm not sure what's available locally but see if there are any support groups for parents with children with similar conditions. There's a local group in my town who meet up every couple of weeks (parents and kids) and it's nice to be in environment where you can just enjoy your child without worrying about questions/looks. I'm also on a few fb groups, I'm not massively active on them but I find it helpful to read others posts and get tips and ideas.

When my son first received his diagnosis (he has 2x genetic conditions, global developmental delay and suspected asd) my gp prescribed me valium as I wasn't sleeping and constantly had dark thoughts and anxiety. I really feel like this coupled with some sessions with my therapist made the biggest difference in the early days. I needed that bit of help to rest and get my brain out of the cycle it was in. Your friend might be completely different but I really needed that input.

My son doesn't have tantrums in the traditional sense but sometimes he can scream and cry for hours and it can be difficult to understand what is causing the distress. The biggest thing that helped here was understanding his sensory needs. He's sensory seeking and now has an at home therapy plan which includes lots of things to meet this need. He's a lot calmer and happier now!

There's an amazing book called "The reason I jump" which was written by a 13 year old boy with non verbal autism where he answers questions about what its like to have autism. It's a really uplifting and sweet book which gives a great insiders perspective of living with asd. I've put a couple of screenshots.
❤

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
@heidilouxx I thought I would tag you in this in case you wanted to chat more about your son? No pressure, just wanted to let you know it’s here ❤