Cheap but healthy ish lunch and dinner ideas :) ?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey sorry if there’s a similar thread
So basically I’m trying to cut the money I spend on food so I can start saving up a bit!
I live at home still with mom n dad but I’m in my 20s and need to start saving towards a house! I buy a lot of food as I love doing a food shop and I am a hungry person 😂
What are some cheap meal ideas? Or tips to save money at the supermarket etc?
Thanks 😆😆

Reactions: 2
Chickpeas, lentils etc to bulk out meals. Very cheap and full of protein.
I make a really yummy salad of grated carrots, chickpeas, mint, sultanas and sweetcorn and then add to it. Filling and healthy

Reactions: 4
Jacket potatoes are surprisingly healthy and cheap as well, potatoes. Cheese and beans one day, tuna mayo another etc etc. Also vegetable soup, I use carrot, leek and onion and a couple of veg stock cubes. Literally costs pennies per potion, and you can have bread on the side, also cheap. Or a veg curry. A huge bag of basmati rice may seem expensive at the time but can last up to 6 months, and you can have it with everything, the aforementioned curry or chicken etc. Daal is another cheap recipe. Personally I don't eat chickpeas or lentils because I have IBS and it would probably kill me lol. Porridge oats are good for breakfast, again, a big bag will last for ages and you can make flapjacks with it too. With yogurt it's a very filling breakfast.

Reactions: 7
just found this thread so here's my contribution. I made this in uni and it'd last me for a week and was normally about £2.50 a week to make. So I make lentil cottage pie bulked up with veg. I buy a big bag of lentils (usually about £4. that bag lasted me a whole 7 months of university using it once a week to make a pie.) Then I buy 4 jacket potatos for mash (around £1), 1 sweet potato (less than £1 depends on size) and a bag of parsnips (usually 50-75p), 2 carrots (usually around 20p), 1 onion (usually 20p), a bag of frozen peas (75p-£1), stock cubes (39p in asda) and the a bag of frozen broccoli (90p-£1 ish) and a bag of frozen roast potatos (80p-£1) to bulk up the meal.

Jacket potatos (all), sweet potato and half the parsnips go for the mash on top.

Lentils, onion, peas, carrots, other half of the parsnips (seems like a lot but they're usually really skinny) and 2 stock cubes go for the filling.

I can normally make 6-8 meals out of it depending on how much broccoli and roast potatos I bulk it up with. I would have one for food and then portion the rest and freeze it. The first time around is expensive because you need lentils, 2 bags of frozen veg and a bag of roast potatos. However, the frozen veg and roasties along with the lentils last for ages. I think I'd buy broccoli and roast potatos maybe once a month, peas every 2 months and I bought lentils once and they last me the whole time I was there and the stock cubes last about a month.

Hope that helps :)