Cervical screening/smear tests

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm ancient so have had many. The nurses used to do them and always made me bleed requiring another test and so it went on. The tests were uncomfortable but doesn't take long. Then I moved areas where the tests were done by the doctors who were all male. What a difference, no discomfort at all, they are so gentle and can manage to do the test without making me bleed so getting a decent test done in one.

I'm ancient so have had many. The nurses used to do them and always made me bleed requiring another test and so it went on. The tests were uncomfortable but doesn't take long. Then I moved areas where the tests were done by the doctors who were all male. What a difference, no discomfort at all, they are so gentle and can manage to do the test without making me bleed so getting a decent test done in one.
Interesting! If you don’t mind me asking, where are you located?

I’m in Scotland and have only ever had a nurse practitioner do the smear test. Never had a doctor.

I just had my first one this morning I convinced myself to be brave and it wouldn't hurt that much but wowwww it really really did and there was so much bleeding like it was all over the sheet on the bed and the sample, she said it's because of hormones but even she was a bit like wtf that it is a lot of blood and I think it might be because of the pill i'm on but it was a lot more than I was expecting so hopefully that's normal bc there was a lot lol?

I think the overall experience was better than I expected because I got all worked up about it (especially when I received the letter asking to book because i'm not 25 yet and it was unexpected) but it was over quick and then nurse was really nice and it wasn't as awkward asI thought it would be, but she also had trouble locating my cervix idk if that's normal so i think it took a bit longer? Anyway glad I got it out of the way for now just super surprised by how much blood there was and the pain level because everyone convinced me I wouldn't feel it 😅 now just nervous for the result because I have anxiety
An update that I got my results back today and was HPV negative, so nothing to worry about glad I booked it and got it out of the way before I was 25 and the blood was nothing to worry about

• Heart
Reactions: 5
An update that I got my results back today and was HPV negative, so nothing to worry about glad I booked it and got it out of the way before I was 25 and the blood was nothing to worry about
Happy yours all came back good ❤ I’m still waiting for my colposcopy appointment ☹ Doctor said as long as im seen within three months I should be fine. Little bit more reassuring I guess x

Reactions: 2
Happy yours all came back good ❤ I’m still waiting for my colposcopy appointment ☹ Doctor said as long as im seen within three months I should be fine. Little bit more reassuring I guess x
If they were overly concerned they would've rushed you through. What no one talks about is how common an abnormal smear is - 1 in 4 women! As I previously mentioned I nearly pooped myself when I got my results until my brother explained it to me in easy to digest terms.
Just one thing if they are burning it away take some strong smelling lavender (or something similar) to take away the smell from the burning.

Reactions: 1
My last smear test last year I got cramp in my thigh when I spread them out and so she couldn’t get in properly as a tensed up. It was very embarrassing.

all in all though I’ve always found the nurses to be very nice and reassuring and it’s just go good we’re all going and getting tested.

I had all the hpv vaccines when I was a teenager im 25 now and my first smear test was hpv positive but no abnormal cells so I go back to retest in a year which is coming up soon. Can the hpv go away on its own?

I had all the hpv vaccines when I was a teenager im 25 now and my first smear test was hpv positive but no abnormal cells so I go back to retest in a year which is coming up soon. Can the hpv go away on its own?
Yes, HPV can clear itself. Your body can fight it like any other virus. But if it doesn’t, it can cause the cells to become abnormal and those abnormal cells can become cervical cancer.

If it’s not cleared itself after 3 years, you’ll usually need a colposcopy to check what’s going on.

Just popping up to share my experience of my first smear test and colposcopy in an attempt to calm any worries or encourage people to go.

First up - I had my first smear test in December 2020, at nearly 30. I'd been putting it off for years and, as I'd moved around a bit, never had a letter asking me to go. I have quite bad hypochondria/health anxiety and, as much as I knew it was important to go, I felt sick every time I thought aboutit and before i knew it, 5 years had passed.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I had some bleeding after sex (nothing really heavy, cleared up in a few hours, but it hadn't happened before) and so I bit the bullet and called the doctor. She booked me in for a smear.

The smear was done by a nurse and she was lovely (she actually went on to tell me that when she first met her husband and they were 'at it like rabbits' she had bleeding after sex frequently and it just kind of turned out to be from the actual bashing around in sex, nothing sinister). I pretty much burst into tears as soon as I went into the room but she was really soothing. Part of the worry of going for a smear after having put it off for so long was because I was worried the nurse would tell me off - she didn't, she just said 'make sure not to put it off again'. She used a small speculum and after a couple of false starts where she didn't quite get the angle right, it really wasn't very painful. The speculum pinches a bit and you're aware that something is...'opening' you up, but I didn't feel any scraping or really anything from when she was taking the sample. It was over really quickly.

I had to wait a while for my results and put it to the back of my mind. My results came back as positive for HPV and as showing signs of low grade dyskaryosis. I was a mess - coupled with the bleeding (that didn't happen again btw) I was convinced something terrible was wrong and it was all my fault for missing my smear etc. I was asked to go for a colposcopy - cue a month of worrying myself to death.

Colposcopy was last week and, despite working myself into a frenzy, it was again fine. There were three nurses in there with me and they were, again, all lovely. I had to put my legs in stirrups (which I found scary but was actually kind of comfy) and they then use the speculum - i actually found this more comfortable this time, despite being more scared. The nurse did warn that I might feel a bit of tingling where she was applying solutions to test the cells - I did feel tingling but it really didn't hurt. It took longer than the smear but again, really not that long. The nurses were talking to me and it was over quickly. The tests showed everything was normal and all I have to do now is go for a smear in a year.

Still haven't gotten to the bottom of that incident of bleeding, which is playing on my mind, but just wanted to share a positive experience!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just popping up to share my experience of my first smear test and colposcopy in an attempt to calm any worries or encourage people to go.

First up - I had my first smear test in December 2020, at nearly 30. I'd been putting it off for years and, as I'd moved around a bit, never had a letter asking me to go. I have quite bad hypochondria/health anxiety and, as much as I knew it was important to go, I felt sick every time I thought aboutit and before i knew it, 5 years had passed.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I had some bleeding after sex (nothing really heavy, cleared up in a few hours, but it hadn't happened before) and so I bit the bullet and called the doctor. She booked me in for a smear.

The smear was done by a nurse and she was lovely (she actually went on to tell me that when she first met her husband and they were 'at it like rabbits' she had bleeding after sex frequently and it just kind of turned out to be from the actual bashing around in sex, nothing sinister). I pretty much burst into tears as soon as I went into the room but she was really soothing. Part of the worry of going for a smear after having put it off for so long was because I was worried the nurse would tell me off - she didn't, she just said 'make sure not to put it off again'. She used a small speculum and after a couple of false starts where she didn't quite get the angle right, it really wasn't very painful. The speculum pinches a bit and you're aware that something is...'opening' you up, but I didn't feel any scraping or really anything from when she was taking the sample. It was over really quickly.

I had to wait a while for my results and put it to the back of my mind. My results came back as positive for HPV and as showing signs of low grade dyskaryosis. I was a mess - coupled with the bleeding (that didn't happen again btw) I was convinced something terrible was wrong and it was all my fault for missing my smear etc. I was asked to go for a colposcopy - cue a month of worrying myself to death.

Colposcopy was last week and, despite working myself into a frenzy, it was again fine. There were three nurses in there with me and they were, again, all lovely. I had to put my legs in stirrups (which I found scary but was actually kind of comfy) and they then use the speculum - i actually found this more comfortable this time, despite being more scared. The nurse did warn that I might feel a bit of tingling where she was applying solutions to test the cells - I did feel tingling but it really didn't hurt. It took longer than the smear but again, really not that long. The nurses were talking to me and it was over quickly. The tests showed everything was normal and all I have to do now is go for a smear in a year.

Still haven't gotten to the bottom of that incident of bleeding, which is playing on my mind, but just wanted to share a positive experience!
Thank you for sharing! So glad everything was ok for you in the end. Hearing your story is so reassuring my story is similar 7 years from last smear, unusual bleeding, smear showed abnormal cells and positive for HPV. Got results first week in November. There is a delay with our colposcopy appointments at the hosptial they’ve said I should have mine second week in Feb 🤞🏽 Wait is killing me so I’m hoping I have the same outcome as you xx

I had a smear test at 16 at a sexual health clinic. I had not one but two male doctors do it, and it was horrible. That, along with past sexual trauma as a child, has put me off ever going even though I know how important they are and I know I should. It’s on my to do list and I’m determined that this year I will make myself go (I’m 27 so have been getting reminder letters for years!)

• Sad
Thank you for sharing! So glad everything was ok for you in the end. Hearing your story is so reassuring my story is similar 7 years from last smear, unusual bleeding, smear showed abnormal cells and positive for HPV. Got results first week in November. There is a delay with our colposcopy appointments at the hosptial they’ve said I should have mine second week in Feb 🤞🏽 Wait is killing me so I’m hoping I have the same outcome as you xx
Best of luck with your colposcopy - I know the thought of it sucks but it's not as bad as your mind is telling you it will be. Take some deep breaths and hang on in there!xx

This is my EXACT same experience as you. Identical however I’ve just turned 25 and they invited me for a smear two years ago. I ignored it as I was so scared and finally went last year mid October. Painless smear. I agree you feel the speculum but it’s not painful and around three weeks later I got the letter saying, I had abnormal cells low grade and HPV. I was gutted too, then had my colposcopy apptmnt Mid December part of my cervix was thick. The results came back pretty fast as CIN1 and reassured me it was very common and not to worry. They’ll just give smears more often! I’m so glad I went. Any woman worrying. Please don’t work yourself up about it.. best thing to do is just get it over and done with. It’s worth it x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I had a smear test at 16 at a sexual health clinic. I had not one but two male doctors do it, and it was horrible. That, along with past sexual trauma as a child, has put me off ever going even though I know how important they are and I know I should. It’s on my to do list and I’m determined that this year I will make myself go (I’m 27 so have been getting reminder letters for years!)
How awful for you :(. If you’re in the UK, you can request a female nurse / practitioner when you book the appointment. When you go you can explain you’re nervous/ have had a bad experience and they will (hopefully!!) be very careful with you and explain what’s happening to keep you comfortable.
Good luck, you’ll be fine 💕

Several years ago I had bleeding after sex. My bleeding also only happened the once and not again but I arranged for some swab tests. It’s similar to a smear but if I remember correctly they don’t use the speculum (i could be wrong on this).
Anyway it came back that I had vaginosis which is a bacterial infection and again very common.
I was prescribed antibiotics.
My biggest fear was I got this from using a public toilet but the GP assured me catching anything from a toilet is near impossible.

Had my first one today, I’d heard it wasn’t painful but I really hurt so this thread makes me know it’s not just me. I also bled, the nurse didn’t comment on it though only after I got changed and she saw the tissue I’d wiped with. Still bleeding now but not as much so hopefully it’ll stop soon. I’m worried incase I did bleed a lot and it’ll come back inconclusive as people have said in here that happened to them as I don’t think I’ll want to do it again so soon!

SO, MY GORGEOUS WOMEN…

I’ve recently discovered that Ovarian Cancer will not show up of your standard Pap smear.
I’ve had 2 x colposcopy to take away CIN3 and have just been for my first smear in three years after pushing and pushing and pushing.

Now I’m having every symptom of Ovarian Cancer and I’m just worried and losing faith in my once very loyal and incredible GP…

Can anyone spread some light on this or have had OC in the past that have stories/ symptoms that we could share? I just can’t stop thinking about it. I’m 29 and I would love to have kids at some point. I’m scared.