Carer's allowance

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm hoping someone is able to provide a bit of guidance in relation to the level of assistance someone needs to be required to provide in order to claim carer's allowance. I care for a family member for well over the 35 hours per week criteria, doing tasks such as shopping, cleaning, ironing, organising medicines, managing bank accounts and bills, cooking, etc. However, I am not sure if they require me to provide more intensive care, such as helping the person to shower and go to the toilet. I cannot find anything online to confirm whether or not this is the case.
I'd be grateful if anyone could share their experiences or point me in the direction of somewhere that could provide this detail.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1
I think you just have to provide the 35 hours, it’s not task specific. There might be facebook groups for this online.

Apply for it.

I used to get carers allowance for my child, it’s pretty easy to claim for in fairness without having to do much manual physical care. It can include taking them to appointments and helping manage their medications ect. So it sounds like you are offering the level of care that you can get it for, it would then come down to wether they are eligible for benefits that allow for a carer
This is the link to the criteria’s from the gov website.

I'm hoping someone is able to provide a bit of guidance in relation to the level of assistance someone needs to be required to provide in order to claim carer's allowance. I care for a family member for well over the 35 hours per week criteria, doing tasks such as shopping, cleaning, ironing, organising medicines, managing bank accounts and bills, cooking, etc. However, I am not sure if they require me to provide more intensive care, such as helping the person to shower and go to the toilet. I cannot find anything online to confirm whether or not this is the case.
I'd be grateful if anyone could share their experiences or point me in the direction of somewhere that could provide this detail.

Thank you!
My Mum got it for a while for my Step Dad. He has Parkinsons but is able to go to the toilet/shower himself ect.
He just needs someone at home with him 90% of the time because of falls ect and can't manage his own bills, do many household chores ect

Thank you so much. Really appreciate everyone's replies.
It's so difficult to know how to navigate these types of things as I would hate to put my self at risk of being told I was claiming it fraudulently!

The key thing is that the person for whom you are providing care must be in receipt of an appropriate benefit e.g. PIP or Attendance Allowance

Everyone says about the thing with a fan too when she says her name and he says what?! And said it sounds like something you move dirt with. Or something like that.

Which he's joking?
But everyone was saying how awful it was 😂

I recently applied for carers allowance, my son gets pip, he has incurable cancer so gets the higher one for his mobility as well. I was refused because I earn too much in my jobs, I do pretty much what you do, when I’m not working I’m taking him to hospital appointments, shopping, cooking, sorting out his medication, checking his blood pressure throughout the day etc……. I did get it when he was little and going through cancer (he was 6 then, 23 now) the only difference then was I wasn’t working.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I recently applied for carers allowance, my son gets pip, he has incurable cancer so gets the higher one for his mobility as well. I was refused because I earn too much in my jobs, I do pretty much what you do, when I’m not working I’m taking him to hospital appointments, shopping, cooking, sorting out his medication, checking his blood pressure throughout the day etc……. I did get it when he was little and going through cancer (he was 6 then, 23 now) the only difference then was I wasn’t working.
I believe you're only allowed to earn under £135 a week or something like that!

Thank you!
They don’t ask you anything about what assistance you give it’s only your personal details ( unless the forms have changed) you fill in,the person you’re caring for has to have a care component in their benefit and you have to agree to provide 35 hrs of care per week it’s really straightforward to claim they don’t ask you to prove anything or interview etc , you can also earn a certain amount of money and it won’t affect your carers allowance although in some instances the person you’re caring for can lose out depending on their circumstances , a benefits advisor will be able to help you if you’re unsure of anything that’s what they’re there for.