Book suggestions!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok peoples, on the trend of ‘x recommendations’, let’s do books!

Recommended a book(s) and give a little write up of what genre the book is, what the book is about, why you like it and who you would recommend it for!

Educated by Tara Westover, (sort of fictionalised autobiography)based on the true story of a woman who was raised in a religious family, ruled by a father with serious untreated medical problems. The children were meant to be home educated, but that seems to fall by the wayside, but the main character manages to get accepted into university after more or less teaching herself enough to pass the required examinations. It is a book that had me at the edge of my seat and swearing out loud in places with frustration, but it is over all a story about overcoming difficulties. I have heard that the real family that this is based on are still residing in the state mentioned and that they are (or were it may have changed by now), searchable on Facebook.

The Sealwoman's Gift by Sally Magnusson (historical? fiction, but not about your kings and queens). This is a lovely book and not one I would have chosen, usually, but it was a book group book. It is based on a true event that happened in 1627 on Iceland where the inhabitants are taken by pirates and sold into slavery. They end up in Algiers and the story covers their journey and their lives in slavery and in particular the main character, the Pastor's wife as she adjusts to her new life and her survival through telling the traditional tales from home.

Reactions: 2