have you seen the film?

• yes

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • no

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I want to see what people say about it before I watch it

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
recently released on Netflix, based on a biographical fictional novel by Joyce Carol Oates; described as a 'fictional' take on the life of Marilyn Monroe. There have been a lot of negative reviews: Have you seen it? What do you think?

I switched it off after 40 mins. The graphic scenes didn't bother me but the constant changing of ratios and colour plus the jumping all over the place timeline wise drove me up the wall. Finally I really don't see the point of fictionalising the story of a real person, especially when their life was already complex and interesting enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That's a shame; I like the actress, I have only seen the trailer but it seemed quite good.

There have been a lot of negative reviews

Reactions: 1
I switched it off after about half an hour. Shockingly bad

Reactions: 4
That's a shame; I like the actress, I have only seen the trailer but it seemed quite good.

There have been a lot of negative reviews
I watched it all last night, I rate it a 5/10, however I think Ana de Armas was amazing!

Reactions: 2
I think this was produced by an anti-abortionist man.
There was no need for the scenes where she had the abortion(s), and the baby ‘talking’ to her, nobody even knows if this was real. Also her being naked most of the movie was very distasteful, considering the press coverage in her death. Not to mention the uncalled for JFK scene.

I thought it was very disrespectful to her, missing out vital parts of her legacy & character.

The actress who played her was tremendous and beautiful but to agree to this ‘plot’ makes u wonder what kind of person she is.
I feel unnerved and sad after watching that

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I didn’t even get half way through it and I wouldn’t consider myself a prude but every other scene was a sex or rape scene, sometimes it just completely ruins a movie imo like there was no need for majority of it . I’m a big Marilyn fan and thought the actress did a good job but it was just down right disrespectful and degrading.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m planning on watching it some point this week. My husbands working away so got the tv to myself once the children have gone to bed. The trailer looked so good after reading the reviews idk if I’ll be wasting my time.

It was very odd, Ana de Armas was really good considering the material she was working with. It didn’t really say anything about Marylin. And a lot of it was fiction. I think they might as well have made a film about a fictional star

The book is absolutely shocking so I refuse to tune into the film. Not only was the book just absolute drivel, I also couldn’t get past the graphic descriptions of a teenage MM’s body. She’s already over-sexualised and always has been, I’m sure she’d hate having her teenage body described like that. Looks like the film is even worse!

I didn’t get as far but I read about the scene with jfk 😶
What was ana de armas thinking? Like did she read the bleeping script? 🤣 it’s honestly laughable

I’m planning on watching it some point this week. My husbands working away so got the tv to myself once the children have gone to bed. The trailer looked so good after reading the reviews idk if I’ll be wasting my time.
I'd give it a go, but it's very long and a lot of it is difficult to watch - then come back and tell us at what point you switch off lol

I’ve just watched - I semi enjoyed it. I found the first part about her childhood hard to watch as a mother myself.
To me the film felt more like a horror/psychological thriller more than anything. As a huge Marilyn and old movie fan I agree with above comments that is was disrespectful to her as a person. I’ve read lots of biographies in the past and the inaccuracies frustrated me a lot. (Although I knew the film was mainly fiction).
I did feel it was a good portrayal of how awful Hollywood was in the 50s (and still is imagine). And how they would just pump you with lots of drugs instead of addressing your mental health issues.
Ana de Armas is a fantastic actress though and so beautiful I found her quite mesmerising to watch.

Just thought it was depressing tbh. Everything about Marilyn always is :( Ana De Armas did a great job but I'm surpised she took the role on...slightly dissapointed she did.

I love Marilyn so much, I collect memorabilia ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I don’t want to watch this. It seems like even more of a desecration when it’s widely known she’s already suffered every which way.

I do really want to read a good biography of her though - does anyone have any recommendations? I’d be grateful. I get overwhelmed by the choice and the variance in reviews. I want the fairest, truest and least salacious.
🙏

• Heart
I know I'm a bit late commenting on this thread but I only just watched some of the film last week.
Firstly I think Ana de Armas is really good, she has the voice to a T and looks amazing.
Second I found the film , dark? I thought it's sad as I don't think all of Marilyn's life was that dark. It was hard to follow with the changing timeline and the sex scenes, I don't know what to say, I'm not a prude but they also seemed off , including the consensual ones.
The abortion scene, I thought was totally dramatic.
I started to loose interest, looked at some reviews and saw the bit about the blow job and JFK, decided to switch off after about 40 minutes.
I don't doubt there was abuse in Hollywood but after me too I thought it was all a bit unesaccary? All fiction, felt it was disrespectful to Marilyn.
Anyway that's my tuppence worth!