Being diagnosed with PTSD

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello.
I'm just looking for advice really for anyone who has been diagnosed.
I recently started some counselling for a third time. And they've suggested I go to the doctors to be officially diagnosed with PTSD.
In my head, I'm thinking, is there any point in being "officially diagnosed"?
I'm so hesitant and guess I'm a bit scared of that "label" 🤔

If people don't mind sharing? Has there been any benefit to being officially diagnosed?

When I started going to therapy my therapist realised I had trauma and PTSD symptoms but they’ve never pushed me to get a diagnosis. They’ve left it open for me to decide whether it’s something I want. I thought about it and for me, personally, I don’t like medication and the therapy and talking about it is enough. I thought about it more since covid as I struggle to wear a mask. It might be worth talking about it with your GP and weighing up what it would mean and if you feel like it would be a benefit before telling them to go ahead.

Reactions: 1
It's worth having a look into CBT which is an effective way of processing and overcoming PTSD.

Reactions: 2
For me having the label is good for me because when I have bad days I know its that and im not just going out of my mind if that makes sense? It took a long time for me to be diagnosed and it was alot of Struggles throughout but like a relief to be diagnosed.

Wishing you the best of luck ❤

I'd never considered it before, even though I've struggled with flashbacks and other things for the past 16 years.
It's opened my eyes a little.

I'm also one that isn't a huge fan of medication so that's a big reason why I'm wondering if there is any point as I'm already attending counselling.

Is there any extra support they can give?

Hello! I had symptoms for a number of years before I got a diagnosis, which in the end I only mainly sought because a (horrible) ex kept telling me I had problems and he couldn’t cope with me.

Mine is related to health trauma and hospitals and to be honest the reason I’ve found it most useful is when I’ve been able to give my work a definitive reason for why I am likely to struggle when I have hospital or doctor’s appointments, which unfortunately is still very regularly. Like a PP I have also found comfort in having a definitive ‘reason’ for why I am how I am.

• Heart
What is your advice for making a move towards CBT? Reach out to someone local or online etc?
You can self refer to your local IAPT team - just google your local authority and then IAPT and it should come up. They'll usually give you an assessment and then you'll likely go on a list for CBT. You could also go private if you wanted a quicker start time, but can be pricey.

I only know this stuff as my partner is a CBT therapist!

You can self refer to your local IAPT team - just google your local authority and then IAPT and it should come up. They'll usually give you an assessment and then you'll likely go on a list for CBT. You could also go private if you wanted a quicker start time, but can be pricey.

I only know this stuff as my partner is a CBT therapist!
I don’t know where you live, but my GP referred me and I got an assessment in 2 weeks (I’m in London). It turns out I need psychotherapy, so have been moved onto secondary care, but they did ask me if I wanted to try some online course whilst I wait. I also got a call last week to say I will be contacted soon (I’ve been waiting 2 months), so you shouldn’t be waiting ages.

I don’t know where you live, but my GP referred me and I got an assessment in 2 weeks (I’m in London). It turns out I need psychotherapy, so have been moved onto secondary care, but they did ask me if I wanted to try some online course whilst I wait. I also got a call last week to say I will be contacted soon (I’ve been waiting 2 months), so you shouldn’t be waiting ages.
I also live in London :) Yep your GP can refer but you can usually self refer as well to IAPT teams. I did the same following having my baby in December and had an assessment within 2 weeks. Great you didn't have to wait long! Hope the psychotherapy is helpful for you.

I also live in London :) Yep your GP can refer but you can usually self refer as well to IAPT teams. I did the same following having my baby in December and had an assessment within 2 weeks. Great you didn't have to wait long! Hope the psychotherapy is helpful for you.
Thanks. It’s actually quite annoying because I was having psychotherapy, but I moved and had to go through the whole process again!

Quick update - I’ve got my first psychotherapy appointment on 7th July, so all in all I’ve waited 10 weeks. I consider that really good going personally!

• Heart