Bed wetting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 6 year old kept wetting his bed it would be once or twice a week. Then we went about a month no wet bed. Last week he has wet it every day monday to friday , I limit and watch how much he drinks makes sure he goes to the toilet plenty yet still every day wet bed ... come weekend no wet bed .. would you think this is a issue related to school?

Don’t limit his drinks, than can actually irritate the bladder and make wetting worse.
Night time dryness is a hormonal milestone, so it sounds like he hasn’t reached that yet if he has only been dry a handful of times so there really isn’t much you can do if that is the case.
you could try one of the bed wetting alarms, I know people who have had some success with those.

Don’t limit his drinks, than can actually irritate the bladder and make wetting worse.
Night time dryness is a hormonal milestone, so it sounds like he hasn’t reached that yet if he has only been dry a handful of times so there really isn’t much you can do if that is the case.
you could try one of the bed wetting alarms, I know people who have had some success with those.
Thank you I've never heard of a bed wetting alarm I'll look into it now

My son was always a bit patchy, but when he was going through a hard time at school with bullies / friends, it became almost every night. Now he's at a new school and hasn't had an accident for months. So I'm not sure if it's his age or lack of anxiety which has finally put a stop to it, or a bit of both. Definitely worth finding out if there is something going on at school. With my son, it took a while for him to say what was going on. And the school were useless - hence us moving him elsewhere.

Reactions: 1
My daughter was wet until she was 9. I was so worried about her and thought it would never end. We had her booked in at the hospital after years of drs visits, school nurse etc. When all of a sudden one night it stopped and she's been dry since. Every dr and the school nurse we saw told me it was actually common for kids to take longer at night but parents dont talk about it, not sure how true that is. It's worth going to the dr though to rule out bladder infection as that could cause bed wetting if a child has been previously dry. And like others have said emotional upset etc.

Reactions: 4
Have you tried lifting? I take my daugther to the toilet about an hour or so after shes asleep. Works very well, she's then dry all night.

Have you tried lifting? I take my daugther to the toilet about an hour or so after shes asleep. Works very well, she's then dry all night.
I did this with my youngest girl..lifted her to the bathroom and she would do a wee half asleep and toddle back to bed

Reactions: 3
My daughter wet the bed about 50% of the time until aged 8. NHS guidelines are that they don't consider it an issue at all until that age. I followed all the advice about limiting drinks a couple of hours before bed and so on but, all of a sudden, it got significantly better when she turned 8. It now happens about once a month.

Thank you all so much, I dont feel so alone about this now when i spoke to some about this they made out it was my fall that i hadn't brought him up right that he was still wetting the bed ,
There just no pattern in his bed wetting so couldnt find a proper solution to this but knowing I'm not alone in this has made it a lot better

Thank you all so much, I dont feel so alone about this now when i spoke to some about this they made out it was my fall that i hadn't brought him up right that he was still wetting the bed ,
There just no pattern in his bed wetting so couldnt find a proper solution to this but knowing I'm not alone in this has made it a lot better
Thats an awful thing for someone to say to you! Trust me it says much more about them than it does about you. This isn’t anyone’s fault- it just takes some kids longer to get there. Same way some day time train at 18mos and some are over 4. All in their own time.

Reactions: 2
Yes, agreed - all children are different. I have three children - one was a bed wetter (until just before age 9), the other two were dry through the night as soon as they were potty trained.

To make my life easier, I used to buy those bed pads and put one under the sheet so it was less of a flaff cleaning up in the morning.

My son wet the bed up until he was 7 then all of a sudden it just stopped and hes been dry since. I also used the bed pads which were great

We’re currently being referred to the continence team for my 8 year old son. Have you checked the Eric website? Loads of advice on there. He has adhd which is linked with bed wetting so advice from adhd nurse was darker drinks are stimulants ie black currant squash etc. So we try to limit that. We measure out how much he has each day. It’s supposed to be 1litre to 1.4l but we find closer to a litre helps. We also have got permission from school that he drinks his juice rather than water in the day. He doesn’t drink water so he was going all day without a drink then downing loads when he got in. After 4pm we limit all drinks and I Try and encourage apple juice rather than black currant squash (I know it’s sugary but he doesn’t have loads) I measure it into a cup rather than his bigger drinking cup he has at school.
it has all helped and reduced the bed wetting at night but not stopped it so we’ve been referred.

well after I said it had got better my daughter has wet the bed three times this week. I think she sometimes has the very beginnings of an UTI but not actually anything that needs antibiotics. Googling found that a supplement called 'd-mannose' can help. I asked my father in law who is a GP and he said it was OK for kids over 5.

It’s not your fault. My son is almost 8 and still wets and my daughter was dry at night from 3. I didn’t do anything different with either of them.

We’re currently being referred to the continence team for my 8 year old son. Have you checked the Eric website? Loads of advice on there. He has adhd which is linked with bed wetting so advice from adhd nurse was darker drinks are stimulants ie black currant squash etc. So we try to limit that. We measure out how much he has each day. It’s supposed to be 1litre to 1.4l but we find closer to a litre helps. We also have got permission from school that he drinks his juice rather than water in the day. He doesn’t drink water so he was going all day without a drink then downing loads when he got in. After 4pm we limit all drinks and I Try and encourage apple juice rather than black currant squash (I know it’s sugary but he doesn’t have loads) I measure it into a cup rather than his bigger drinking cup he has at school.
it has all helped and reduced the bed wetting at night but not stopped it so we’ve been referred.
Thank you so so much this advice is amazing I will try these tips !
This week we have only had 1 bed wetting episode so far this week yet I havent changed anything different from last week . Just seems to be no pattern.
It really got to me when I got told i haven't brought him up right . But I now feel so so much supported with this thread !

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My son still wet until 15
we tried everything from lifting to alarms
(didn’t help that his nan refused to help and put him in dry nites if he slept at hers)
we didn’t let him drink 2 hours before bed and he just seemed to grow out of it
keep on-they do grow out of it

Both of my children wet the bed!
They were both dry during the day at 2 and a half. My son only stopped wetting the bed at about the age of 6 nearly 7...my daughter was even worse she was about 8...then all of a sudden stopped! It was so odd!
It was quite a big stress for me really and one of the reasons why I never had a third child, changing the sheets..the constant washing..getting annoyed even though I tried my absolute hardest not to show it in front of the children.
I tried EVERYTHING. No drinks after 5pm....Not limiting drinks at all....lifting them out of bed during the night...bed wetting alarms....telling them off...not telling them off..making them strip the sheets in the morning...giving them treats if they had a dry night.
In the end they both just grew out of it?! I am not sure how common it is but I suspect maybe more common than what is let on as I never admitted to anyone that my children wet the bed alot as obviously as a mum you blame yourself!!!

I agree - we don't let on as it's something that's not talked about. My daughter has a sleepover in two weeks and I'm dreading it. They went away one night with school in September and she wet the bed then.