Baking wins and fails.. 😁

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am an avid baker. I can’t cook to save my life but baking is a big passion of mine. I have just not five minutes ago finished making homemade fudge for the first time and I am honestly a teeny bit proud of myself. I really thought it’d fail because I had a fudgy caramel slop for AGES before mixing but it worked!!! It worked! I currently have a full tray of soft, gorgeously crumbly fudge that is about a million calories per square (seriously, I know it sounds dull but I never realised how much SUGAR goes into fudge!) - I’ve made it for Christmas presents for some family members but omg it is taking all of my willpower not to eat the entire tray now. I had some of the messy pieces (just to check it was set! ) and O.M.G. if you heard a moan echo around it was me. I am in a fudgey coma of deliciousness.

A fail though... cookies. I ’made’ chocolate orange cookies once. My sister made them last year and they were gorgeous - soft, gooey, melted chocolate orange in the middle, little chocolate orange on top... beautiful. Ohhhh I thought, easy. I’d made chocolate chip cookies before and they were fine... I had High Hopes! The mixture was made, the house smelled like an orchard and/or as If I was living inside a chocolate orange....

...they came out flat, as If they had melted into the tray, and what was salvageable was hard/crispy. I cried. To this day I have no idea what i did wrong because I hadn’t changed the recipe or method any. The Baking Gods must’ve been pissed off!

So! Bakers of tattle, what have been your greats and your not so greats? Recipes welcome

(This is mostly a shameless boast about my fudge and I am not sorry. I am generally useless at everything else I do in life and have to work around the way I do things because of my CP so to have something that tastes great and was made relatively easily makes me well up a bit!)

I made it by scratch with unicorn tears, obviously used this recipe!

Reactions: 1
Im a good baker even my gran used to say so. I make an amazing coffee and walnut cake and when I was a young,poor single mum,I always made everyone home made truffles for Christmas.

My biggest fail was when I attempted to make puff candy (don’t know if it’s just a Scottish thing - think it also gets called cinder toffee). It’s literally 3 ingredients,sugar,golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda. God only knows what I did wrong but when I put the bicarbonate of soda in,it started to overflow out of the pot onto the worktop where it promptly solidified. It was a hammer and chisel job to get it off.
Your fudge sounds fab

Baking I can do, I’ve made all of my kids cakes however I once tried to make marshmallows....never ever again. They were....like rubber bands.

Im a good baker even my gran used to say so. I make an amazing coffee and walnut cake and when I was a young,poor single mum,I always made everyone home made truffles for Christmas.
truffles! I really want to make some truffles - are they easy to make?

Reactions: 1