Anyone else referred on 2 week wait for colonoscopy? Just need to talk

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi,

I've had worsening symptoms - firstly apologies this will be a tmi thread - it's the nature of the issue 🥴 Bad stomach cramps, change in bowel habits (rushing to loo often), feeling sick, sometimes being sick, not able to eat certain foods etc. I have already been told IBS for years & have stage 4 endometriosis (waiting on more surgery) so there is a chance there is crossover symptoms possibly...but I went to my GP as the pain is getting worse. They referred me last Wednesday & I have a colonoscopy booked on Wednesday next week. I've had one before but very nervous as I remember that one hurting. I also struggled due to the fasting bringing on an almighty migraine (& the vomiting from that causing me to soil once the movicol prep took hold 🤦🤦🤦). My local hospital can't fit me in soon enough so having to travel almost an hour away...so again major panic with this bowel prep and accidents as last time it took ages to work. I'm collecting the prep from my local hospital Monday so I could ask them for advice if anyone thinks it is worth it? I am also trying hard not to fret too much about why I have been referred, but I am scared. I've had these symptoms quite a while but put them down to my Endo/IBS. Sorry probably rambling, I guess I just want to hear facts from anyone who has been through this, bonus points if you have Endo involvement too. Thanks.

Hi,

I've had worsening symptoms - firstly apologies this will be a tmi thread - it's the nature of the issue 🥴 Bad stomach cramps, change in bowel habits (rushing to loo often), feeling sick, sometimes being sick, not able to eat certain foods etc. I have already been told IBS for years & have stage 4 endometriosis (waiting on more surgery) so there is a chance there is crossover symptoms possibly...but I went to my GP as the pain is getting worse. They referred me last Wednesday & I have a colonoscopy booked on Wednesday next week. I've had one before but very nervous as I remember that one hurting. I also struggled due to the fasting bringing on an almighty migraine (& the vomiting from that causing me to soil once the movicol prep took hold 🤦🤦🤦). My local hospital can't fit me in soon enough so having to travel almost an hour away...so again major panic with this bowel prep and accidents as last time it took ages to work. I'm collecting the prep from my local hospital Monday so I could ask them for advice if anyone thinks it is worth it? I am also trying hard not to fret too much about why I have been referred, but I am scared. I've had these symptoms quite a while but put them down to my Endo/IBS. Sorry probably rambling, I guess I just want to hear facts from anyone who has been through this, bonus points if you have Endo involvement too. Thanks.
I work for a booking team in NHS and it may simply be that you have concerning symptoms alongside your other diagnoses as to why you've been referred on a 2WW, your GP will want you seen ASAP just incase it is cancer related or something similar. This doesn't mean that you have cancer. It's simply a referral to get checked. All cancer referrals are 2WW for diagnostic then as you move through the pathways there are different waits etc.

Try and remain positive, be proud job have sought help and will hopefully get some relief and answers.

With regards prep and possible accidents.. we have known patients to stay in a local Travelodge near the hospital to ensure they're close and won't miss appointments. Maybe that's an idea regarding minimising the risk of accidents?

Reactions: 2
I work for a booking team in NHS and it may simply be that you have concerning symptoms alongside your other diagnoses as to why you've been referred on a 2WW, your GP will want you seen ASAP just incase it is cancer related or something similar. This doesn't mean that you have cancer. It's simply a referral to get checked. All cancer referrals are 2WW for diagnostic then as you move through the pathways there are different waits etc.

Try and remain positive, be proud job have sought help and will hopefully get some relief and answers.

With regards prep and possible accidents.. we have known patients to stay in a local Travelodge near the hospital to ensure they're close and won't miss appointments. Maybe that's an idea regarding minimising the risk of accidents?
Thanks so much for this insight, very helpful.

I had my firstbcolonoscopy done last year. The GP sent me through quite quickly too and put suspected cancer down as the reason. Thankfully that wasn’t the diagnosis (the doctor at the hospital was shocked when she saw that written down due to my age) and chronic constipation was.

The procedure itself was fine but incredibly uncomfortable as they pump gas into your bum because it helps the tube get through. I ended up farting mid procedure so that wasn’t fun. The sedation unfortunately didn’t do anything for me but I wouldn’t say it was a traumatic experience.

The prep is grim. I’d take a mouthful, swallow quickly and then have a mouthful of sprite. It took a few hours for it to work with me and I still had small poops in my colon during the procedure, although not obstructive. Remember to read the dietary sheet carefully as you have to have low fibre diet in the days leading up to it.

Reactions: 1
I had my firstbcolonoscopy done last year. The GP sent me through quite quickly too and put suspected cancer down as the reason. Thankfully that wasn’t the diagnosis (the doctor at the hospital was shocked when she saw that written down due to my age) and chronic constipation was.

The procedure itself was fine but incredibly uncomfortable as they pump gas into your bum because it helps the tube get through. I ended up farting mid procedure so that wasn’t fun. The sedation unfortunately didn’t do anything for me but I wouldn’t say it was a traumatic experience.

The prep is grim. I’d take a mouthful, swallow quickly and then have a mouthful of sprite. It took a few hours for it to work with me and I still had small poops in my colon during the procedure, although not obstructive. Remember to read the dietary sheet carefully as you have to have low fibre diet in the days leading up to it.
Thanks, I have my bland stuff ready. I found it didn't want to clear out last time, that must be quite common then. I plan to ask for sedation as I found it painful last time (they must have upped whatever it was as I remember crying & then nothing). Hence my worry this time.

Just a quick update - all clear for the scary issues which I was worried about but diagnosed with grade 1 diverticular disease. From what I can gather it is very common. The advice sheet says eat high fibre - I eat whole grain bread, pasta & rice etc but struggle with too much veg & fruit since my hysterectomy & Endo excision (stage 4) from nr my bowel which really flared my IBS anyway. I think I still have my standard Gastro Referral going through so my plan is to ask them how I tackle that issue. I am greatly relieved.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just a quick update - all clear for the scary issues which I was worried about but diagnosed with grade 1 diverticular disease. From what I can gather it is very common. The advice sheet says eat high fibre - I eat whole grain bread, pasta & rice etc but struggle with too much veg & fruit since my hysterectomy & Endo excision (stage 4) from nr my bowel which really flared my IBS anyway. I think I still have my standard Gastro Referral going through so my plan is to ask them how I tackle that issue. I am greatly relieved.
Glad to hear this! Well, not glad but you know what I mean 😄

• Haha
Sorry to hijack but just been referred for a colonoscopy

Will be having it within two weeks

How bad is it really? I'm not good with pain

I didn’t find it painful as such, more uncomfortable! they put this numbing gel around your backpassage which felt a bit stingy, but then once the camera is in, the pain doesn’t get worse. Sometimes they pump you with air to inflate the folds of your bowel to see easier, which makes you feel like you have to fart, and for me it felt like it was pressing on my stomach a bit which made me feel slightly sick for only a minute or two, but then it passed. You can pass the gas, Obviously your body will react to it by giving you the urge to fart , but honestly, overall, it wasn’t overly painful for me! put it this way, would rather have a colonoscopy than a smear test

Reactions: 2
I have stage 4 endo in my bowel and they found I have diverticulitis which I don’t fit the profile for
I wonder if there is a link?

I have stage 4 endo in my bowel and they found I have diverticulitis which I don’t fit the profile for
I wonder if there is a link?
Makes you wonder doesn't it? For the record following the sheet I was given at the colonoscopy - to eat high fibre, caused me misery. Going back to less high fibre has settled things lol. So until my Gastro Apt next mth that is what I will do & then see what they say...!

Makes you wonder doesn't it? For the record following the sheet I was given at the colonoscopy - to eat high fibre, caused me misery. Going back to less high fibre has settled things lol. So until my Gastro Apt next mth that is what I will do & then see what they say...!
I am convinced there is a link. I think maybe the Endo causes the diverticulum 🤷‍♀️
When I left hospital they made me eat plain white stuff…pasta, bread etc and to avoid high fibre
Literally the opposite advice 🙄 honestly I’m really not sure what the hell they’re doing

• Heart
I am convinced there is a link. I think maybe the Endo causes the diverticulum 🤷‍♀️
When I left hospital they made me eat plain white stuff…pasta, bread etc and to avoid high fibre
Literally the opposite advice 🙄 honestly I’m really not sure what the hell they’re doing
I do think you could be right. I ate the wrong thing yesterday so currently suffering & on steroids for my chest so between them & pain no sleep for the wicked - so Tattle browse it is!

Hey not sure if you’ve had your procedure yet but I was an absolute mess before having mine (I am a victim of CSA). I put it off despite being so unwell I couldn’t get out of bed and loosing 2 stone in 10 days. I had sedation which worked wonders and they were able to find me a female team to do the procedure. They were honestly so kind and understanding I was in tears when I walked into the procedure room. The prep before hand wasn’t too bad either (I’m a health professional and I’d heard so many horror stories) not sure if it’s different depending on the area you live. It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as what I’d made it out in my head to be.

hope all goes well x
---
Hey not sure if you’ve had your procedure yet but I was an absolute mess before having mine (I am a victim of CSA). I put it off despite being so unwell I couldn’t get out of bed and loosing 2 stone in 10 days. I had sedation which worked wonders and they were able to find me a female team to do the procedure. They were honestly so kind and understanding I was in tears when I walked into the procedure room. The prep before hand wasn’t too bad either (I’m a health professional and I’d heard so many horror stories) not sure if it’s different depending on the area you live. It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as what I’d made it out in my head to be.

hope all goes well x
Oh and they didn’t use gas for me they used water which was a weird sensation but painless. Again weird how procedures differ around the country!

Sorry just seen this, I opted for sedation this time. I was still aware but not fully if that makes much sense, it makes it pass really easily honestly. If you haven't already had it, good luck x