Anybody know anything about aloe vera plants?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want to buy one to use for healing properties, but where do I buy them and how do I grow them? I know next to nothing about plants, so I'm just curious how one goes about buying the right one and how to care for it etc.

They’re pretty easy to come by, try garden centres or local plant stores? Also bigger places like IKEA and b&q do them. They’re pretty easy to propagate too once they’ve grown enough. In terms of care I’m crap at keeping them alive, as I think I overwater them! They retain moisture in the leaves so don’t need lots of watering.

Reactions: 1
They’re pretty easy to come by, try garden centres or local plant stores? Also bigger places like IKEA and b&q do them. They’re pretty easy to propagate too once they’ve grown enough. In terms of care I’m crap at keeping them alive, as I think I overwater them! They retain moisture in the leaves so don’t need lots of watering.
Ok thanks for the advice Pixi. Like I say, I know pretty much nothing about plants apart from watering them and planting them. Do aloe vera plants come in pots? Do you know how long they take to grow to the sufficient size to cut off its leaves for use?

We have one in our bedroom..... it's supposed to be good for lots of things?!! Like you I don't have much knowledge on plants.... we got a decent sized one for about £15 and it's loving life in the bedroom - water it occasionally and we've had new leaves coming through - we've had it since December and I'm impressed it's not dead !! Good Luck :)

We have one in our bedroom..... it's supposed to be good for lots of things?!! Like you I don't have much knowledge on plants.... we got a decent sized one for about £15 and it's loving life in the bedroom - water it occasionally and we've had new leaves coming through - we've had it since December and I'm impressed it's not dead !! Good Luck :)
Thanks for the input. Where did you buy yours?

I bought one for around £4 at the garden centre. It has grown quite big needed repotting in a bigger pot. Absolutely brilliant for burns.

I have loads and they pretty much care for themselves with little water. I bought just one originally and smaller ones shoot up in the pot which need replanting when they get big. I’ve had to give so many away as I was getting inundated. But the sad thing is I don’t use them for anything so I’d be really interested to know what are your plans for healing remedies.

Wonderful if you have a burn or a cut,just pick a leaf and slice it rub the slices on the burn etc..so soothing.

I got mine from lidl for about £4. The ends of the stems are going brown... I perhaps over watered it. Its lasted a good 2 years though. Very low maintenance

I want to buy one to use for healing properties, but where do I buy them and how do I grow them? I know next to nothing about plants, so I'm just curious how one goes about buying the right one and how to care for it etc.
I bought one a couple of years ago and it's grown to gigantic proportions. I can no longer fit it through my door frames in my home lol
It Also gave me 10 other plants, they just grew from it and they're doing great.
All I know is they like sunshine (like most plants) and because they're spongy rather than leafy they can withstand a drier atmosphere than other plants so if you're home is like that the plant would be ok.
There are different types but mine is the one that seems the most common type and its a houseplant. Water it before the soil completely dries, I do mine once roughly every 3 weeks. They seem to do best when the soil is slightly damp to the touch. It's a great plant to have around as it purifies the air so great to have in the bedroom.
Highly unlikely to ever be infected by pests also. I'd highly recommend aloes. Good luck (y)

Ok thanks for the advice Pixi. Like I say, I know pretty much nothing about plants apart from watering them and planting them. Do aloe vera plants come in pots? Do you know how long they take to grow to the sufficient size to cut off its leaves for use?
If you do cut offs do it in spring and do it when the plant is established and healthy.

Last edited: