Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not sure if this is in the right section but I just wondered if anyone else suffers from anxiety and if they have any tips and tricks?

Mine is horrific at the moment. Lots of little things going on in my life but putting them all together makes my anxiety really bad. I'm on medication for it but they aren't helping. I'm hoping to see a doctor tomorrow but just wondered if anyone here was in the same boat?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yeah, I have social phobia and panic disorder. If going out is hard for you I’ve found wearing headphones really helps me. I listen to audiobooks or podcasts and having them loud in my ear distracts me and I find it helpful.

Writing things down can help a lot. Or writing letters to people that you won’t send

Have you tried an elastic band on your wrist? That can help me sometimes.

Have you been referred for cbt?

I’ll try to think of more things I do. I hope the doctor can help you x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes! Been part of club depression and anxiety for many years :oops:

SSRIs work for me for the depression side. Anxiety is more difficult. Things that have helped:
  • walking. I used to walk to work, I try and get 20 mins in a day. Just putting one foot in front of the other helps. Same for spending time around nature, it just helps my brain
  • limiting alcohol. I used to drink 30+ units a week at the worst. Now maximum of a single glass of wine at weekends. If I drink more than that, I definitely notice my anxiety goes up when I'm trying to sleep
  • Random YouTube videos - for some reason, watching people making things like image candy (Lofty Pursuits is great for that) calms me
  • I treat myself to a regular massage, just a bit of hands-on therapy helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm on the waiting list for CBT, although I have had it in the past for other things and it didn't help.
I'm definitely going to try the letter writing thing though.
Nature definitely helps me, I love being by the sea or in a forest and just taking photos. Sadly due to other conditions I can't do this every day but when I can it does help.
I'm not sure the headphones would help me, I like to be very aware of my surroundings when I'm out so if I can't hear the noises around me it would make me more anxious. I'm glad it works for you though :)

Not sure it will help but if you love nature but struggle with getting out, then maybe try some playlists on Youtube? There's a ton of long nature/sea sound clips that I find really soothing.

Guided meditation is great too, although sometimes it can make you feel a bit sleepy:

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Since most of the symptoms you can't control, such as that rapid heart beat etc one you can curb and it keeps anxiety slightly in check is drink water. Prevents the dry mouth feeling too. So never leave the house without one!

This is basically how EMDR??? Think that's the acrynm or an just talking twaddle but think lamp posts when walking. They are usually alternate, so often if you can look for the nearest one, then shifting the focus to the next one one the other side. If that makes sense. Silly as it sounds but that's how this therapy was discovered. It's stimulating separate parts of your brain, one side focus to the other a bit. Of course not as intense as the actual therapy..that's just odd. It may help...or you may just walk into someone, or a hedge, end up in a ditch you get the picture

• Heart
Most of my anxiety is when I'm stuck in doors and over think so them videos sound like a fab idea.

My main anxiety at the moment is around my brother. I love him but I know that to help myself I need to walk away from him and cut him from my life. I know that sounds dramatic but his wife is very toxic and I feel if she's in his life then I can't be.

Since most of the symptoms you can't control, such as that rapid heart beat etc one you can curb and it keeps anxiety slightly in check is drink water. Prevents the dry mouth feeling too. So never leave the house without one!

This is basically how EMDR??? Think that's the acrynm or an just talking twaddle but think lamp posts when walking. They are usually alternate, so often if you can look for the nearest one, then shifting the focus to the next one one the other side. If that makes sense. Silly as it sounds but that's how this therapy was discovered. It's stimulating separate parts of your brain, one side focus to the other a bit. Of course not as intense as the actual therapy..that's just odd. It may help...or you may just walk into someone, or a hedge, end up in a ditch you get the picture

I had EMDR in my very early 20’s for PTSD and it helped massively. My therapist tapped my my hands instead of me following her finger as I couldn’t focus properly. Hand tapping is an alternative.
I’ve had a lot of intense therapy, group therapy, different types of psychotherapy.
I don’t want to go into too much detail here but as far as my original diagnosis, I’m fairly stable.
But my mood is low and I now suffer with social anxiety as well. I did have a 6 year period of being completely well. And then a traumatic event happened and everything went downhill. There’s a lot more to it than that.
I never found CBT helpful.
But nowadays it’s really difficult to get the treatment I got through the NHS because of all the cuts.

I’m back on antidepressants again, and take other meds for other illnesses.
For me, therapy probably saved my life, it’s just very sad that people aren’t getting the appropriate care and help they need

I had EMDR in my very early 20’s for PTSD and it helped massively. My therapist tapped my my hands instead of me following her finger as I couldn’t focus properly. Hand tapping is an alternative.
I’ve had a lot of intense therapy, group therapy, different types of psychotherapy.
I don’t want to go into too much detail here but as far as my original diagnosis, I’m fairly stable.
But my mood is low and I now suffer with social anxiety as well. I did have a 6 year period of being completely well. And then a traumatic event happened and everything went downhill. There’s a lot more to it than that.
I never found CBT helpful.
But nowadays it’s really difficult to get the treatment I got through the NHS because of all the cuts.

I’m back on antidepressants again, and take other meds for other illnesses.
For me, therapy probably saved my life, it’s just very sad that people aren’t getting the appropriate care and help they need
I had...this is going to sound really strange to type but vibrating ball things in either hand when I had the therapy. She could also do it with lights, but since I am a migraine sufferer didn't want to trigger it! There is a variety of ways to do it! It all gets the same response and can be a good therapy!

It's not only just the therapy but the therapist that matters too. I think that's a really important thing too. Usually they are really lovely but I know some people haven't gelled with some. Which I myself haven't with various agencies either.

Mental health is really hard. You can be fine for years then it just all goes to pot again.

I find mental health resources are terrible too. The help isn't there, they get less and less time for people and what were good solid services are a shadow of the former selfs.

I am sure you are aware, but just remember if you need to talk to someone then never forget the crisis team. Also mind website have an online chat they are very helpful, plus resources too. Am telling you to suck eggs now apologises. Hate hearing of people struggling. Take care

• Heart
I had...this is going to sound really strange to type but vibrating ball things in either hand when I had the therapy. She could also do it with lights, but since I am a migraine sufferer didn't want to trigger it! There is a variety of ways to do it! It all gets the same response and can be a good therapy!

It's not only just the therapy but the therapist that matters too. I think that's a really important thing too. Usually they are really lovely but I know some people haven't gelled with some. Which I myself haven't with various agencies either.

Mental health is really hard. You can be fine for years then it just all goes to pot again.

I find mental health resources are terrible too. The help isn't there, they get less and less time for people and what were good solid services are a shadow of the former selfs.

I am sure you are aware, but just remember if you need to talk to someone then never forget the crisis team. Also mind website have an online chat they are very helpful, plus resources too. Am telling you to suck eggs now apologises. Hate hearing of people struggling. Take care
What's the crisis team? Noone has ever mentioned that to me. To be honest apart from medication and a self CBT referral ive had no help for my mental health.

What's the crisis team? Noone has ever mentioned that to me. To be honest apart from medication and a self CBT referral ive had no help for my mental health.
Sorry.
Crisis team is usually offered to those really in need. More to do with extremely low moods, depressive thoughts. Basically a team that works with someone who as the name suggests 'in crisis'. So they help in a variety of ways usually home visits, appointments to get people back on track. They also are there to asses for those really vulnerable that may need to be admitted to hospital, or their intervention can always help.
As the other poster had been through intense therapy and of course I didn't want to delve and there was no need to share; it was just a reminder to said poster if they needed anything to call the crisis team, use mind website to get help. It was a great post from them to explain the therapy that 'we' both had.

For you my friend @GiggleBee don't worry about the crisis team at all. I know anxiety effects mood too. My best advice for you would be to 'push' your GP if possible. Although some are terrible compared to others if you need help.
Look at the mind website as I have mentioned and see what they say about anxiety. There maybe some tips there. It's mind.org I think

You have great advice especially the meditation. Mindfulness, which is focus on what you are doing in the moment is rated as one of the things that can help. There are many similar on YouTube.

Distraction is good too. Already advised.

CBT will help you look at the way you see your brother and his wife. It's all about changing your thoughts from negative to positive which when worked through properly it can help. It's not for everyone, depends on you, therapist is a big one, and other things. However, there is different levels. So having a refresher is great and gets you thinking.

Although some therapies are cut, there are other options available so you may find that once you work with one therapist you could be offered another. Not always, however that's how I got one therapy because the therapist noted I would benefit from it too.

Always remember though anxiety is absolutely normal emotion. It's really awful for it to be out of control. I think we forget that it's just an emotional response. In some instances it can help, such as just before a performance on stage, before an exam that type of thing. It can really push us to succeed!

Now what I am going to say sounds a little obvious but although I wore a badge for years and was quite happy to say I had severe clinical depression and GAD. It's actually the acceptance that you are actually ill. It's totally weird to get to that point. At times it seems silly when you say I have 'insert mental health' problem. No problem letting the world know but it's accepting that you are ill that makes a big difference.

Off my soapbox now but any problems you know where to find me.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi!

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies so some of my suggestions may be repeats. I have suffered from anxiety / panic attacks since I was a teenager. My worst bout was in 2015 when I moved to a new country. I now have a handle on it, although sometimes it creeps in.

I find these things help:

* Exercise: I exercise about four times a week at the gym, doing one hour sessions. Exercise helps me so much, the endorphins are amazing. It is important to find something that you like. I currently do some weight-lifting, HIIT and barre. Exercise can also be something as simple as walking or doing some yoga.

* Going outside: If I am stuck inside for a few days, I find my anxiety gets worse. I find going out for a walk can help, even if it is just around the block.

* Magnesium: I take a magnesium supplement. It is shown to help with anxiety. If you don't want to take the vitamin, Epsom salts also have magnesium in them and I find taking a bath with them helps me relax.

* Talking: I never used to talk to people about my anxiety. But now as soon as I feel anxious I will tell my husband and we will talk about it. I also talk to friends about it.

* Seeing friends: Sometimes I can't be bothered seeing friends if I feel anxious but I find that when I do I feel better. It distracts me.

* Cleaning: If things are cluttered or dirty, it can trigger my anxiety a bit. Just a quick tidy up can help me calm down.

* Calm app: This is a meditation app and they have so many free features, from nature sounds to guided meds. I love it.

• Heart
Thank you! I've been put on more medication, I've downloaded an app and the weighted blanket I ordered was finally ready today!