Advice on getting new puppy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don’t do what my son did
saw a dog (staffie) who had been abused online and was up for sale via a ‘charity’
thought ‘I’ve always wanted a dog’
had nothing in for a dog-no lead no bowls no nothing
travelled the length of the country to buy him then rang me to tell me
he works nights to top it off
thankfully it’s worked out really well-his mate or girlfriend stays overnight with the dog
my son has lost 3 stone due to walking him
the dog is now a pleasure to be around (we think he’s two but not sure) but the first 12 weeks where hell on Earth
he howled all the time
hadnt been done so humped everything in sight (he’s had the snip now and has calmed right down)
Chewed everything
Had really bad doggy manners
would go for anyone with a baseball cap on
Farted like it was going out of fashion-we changed his diet and that seemed to help
he would leap up at anyone
he hated other dogs
would pull us over on walks
Would roll in any type of poo-fox/cow being his favourite

he doesn’t do any of that now but it took a lot of round the clock training to get to that point

hes such a lovely dog-we’ve all put so much into him and he’s blossomed so well but do your homework first

im still pissed with my lad-it could have ended up with the dog going back into rescue kennels again and that’s not fair but credit to him he’s really turned things around for the dog so hopefully we get him for many more happy years to come

but I’ve told him never again-my nerves can’t take it!

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Don’t do what my son did
saw a dog (staffie) who had been abused online and was up for sale via a ‘charity’
thought ‘I’ve always wanted a dog’
had nothing in for a dog-no lead no bowls no nothing
travelled the length of the country to buy him then rang me to tell me
he works nights to top it off
thankfully it’s worked out really well-his mate or girlfriend stays overnight with the dog
my son has lost 3 stone due to walking him
the dog is now a pleasure to be around (we think he’s two but not sure) but the first 12 weeks where hell on Earth
he howled all the time
hadnt been done so humped everything in sight (he’s had the snip now and has calmed right down)
Chewed everything
Had really bad doggy manners
would go for anyone with a baseball cap on
Farted like it was going out of fashion-we changed his diet and that seemed to help
he would leap up at anyone
he hated other dogs
would pull us over on walks
Would roll in any type of poo-fox/cow being his favourite

he doesn’t do any of that now but it took a lot of round the clock training to get to that point

hes such a lovely dog-we’ve all put so much into him and he’s blossomed so well but do your homework first

im still pissed with my lad-it could have ended up with the dog going back into rescue kennels again and that’s not fair but credit to him he’s really turned things around for the dog so hopefully we get him for many more happy years to come

but I’ve told him never again-my nerves can’t take it!
Ah that's a nice ending to the story though 🥰 I didn't buy a pup in the end and I'm probably not going to for a while.

Ah that's a nice ending to the story though 🥰 I didn't buy a pup in the end and I'm probably not going to for a while.
We went to hell and back on a handcart at the time
Thankfully he turned out to be a gorgeous dog who is the centre of our world but never again!

Terriers are wonderful, but can be wilful plus have a strong prey drive so I wouldn’t recommend one if you have young children that might tease (not on purpose) or other small pets. They are also stubborn and prone to selective deafness 😂 utterly gorgeous and loyal, but lots of training is needed and even then they are one of the more ‘independent’ breeds.
Poo mix breeds are, from a reputable breeder, gorgeous cuddle monsters and easier to train.
Any puppy though is like having a baby on coke. The humping, the chewing, the giddiness, the toilet training. It’s all worth it, but it can be a few hard months as you all get used to each other.