Adult dyslexia and dyscalculia support thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought we could use a thread to chat, share advice, support, and maybe even some laughs.

Obviously feel free to chat about what you like, but here are some thoughts.

- When did you realise you had dyslexia or dyscalculia (dyslexia for maths)?

- How do you get past the “shame” some people (or yourself) make you feel?

- Do you feel the need to explain to people that it’s not a reflection of your intelligence?

-any funny stories? I once hand-wrote a note to my boss saying his “wife had called to say she was on the bust“ BUS dammit!

~~~~
(me-rail, sorry)

My main thing is dyscalculia, I CRIED over maths homework all the time. And I was so frustrated because I knew I understood the maths concepts, I’m an intelligent woman, but one number comes into my mind, then floats away as soon as another number appears.

I have mild dyslexia (and so much sympathy for those who have it worse). I know how to spell, I just don’t notice my own typos, or read things wrong.

~~~

(I hope no one minds the bolded parts. It makes it so much easier for me to read, so thought if it’s the same for anyone else, it would be more of an accessible introduction). Actually that’s another topic…

Accessibility what helps you? If you work/study, are they supportive?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
I was diagnosed dyslexic in a private diagnosis in about 1986 when I was a teen. Like you mine is on the milder side, my diagnosis came about because there was such a disconnect between my reading, I was always a very keen reader with strong comprehension, and my writing, which was barely legible with a free form approach to spelling. I don’t have a dyscalculia diagnosis but I suspect that’s because it wasn’t a ‘thing’ in the 80s. Dyscalculia certainly causes me far more issues as an adult than dyslexia in the modern world of spell checkers. Dyscalculia is also less well known still and it’s far harder to explain to people why I can’t do basic mental arithmetic than why my spelling is a bit ropey.

What I find hardest of all are the things I know are caused by my dyscalculia/dyslexia but other people don’t understand. For example I have no sense of direction, I get lost very easily which has often made me the butt of the joke. “How could you get lost! It was a five minute walk!” Is something I’ve very often heard.

I don’t have time to add anything else now, but I’ll come back later.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I was at collage before I released I had dyslexia, it was them that picked it up instantly an tested me for it, before then I had sorta just scrapped by school not knowing, I did pass my exams but it felt like I was the last one to leave during them everytime because I had to read things numerous times before I got it

Once I was diagnosed it helped me understand what was wrong an I also managed to get things that helped me like a blue sheet that I could read through since blue helps, I also got extra time for my driving theory test an had the computer read the questions to me which helped massively

I also get lost a ton an can never tell my left from right, on my driving test the examiner had to keep making new routes because he would tell me to go one way an I'd go the other, still passed because I still done it safe with my checks but we definitely did not do the route he had carefully planned lol, my spelling is usually a mess as well

• Heart
Reactions: 2