A horrible job situation - what would you do?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend ...

My friend started working for a woman about a month ago. The interview process was a little odd and she did get feel a couple of warning signs but proceeded to accept the job when offered, as it is her dream industry and she's very good at her job. Plus, as her predecessor just up and left, she sensed some opportunities to create some great new systems and really make her mark.

There are just the two of them in this office and in the past couple of weeks the woman has been acting very strangely - texting my friend early in the morning to say don't come in as she doesn't have enough work for my friend to do (even though she's tasked her with a huge list of things); asking my friend what she's working on every half hour or so, then interrupting her to say something else is more urgent (it never is, and she's constantly stop-starting things so she forgets where she's at and wastes time tracing her steps). This woman sounds like a bloody nightmare to be frank (certainly to someone who likes structure and organisation). She's also really slack - doesn't get back to her clients, is late in getting stuff out to her clients ... just all over the show.

On Monday, this woman called my friend and said she was taking a few days off so she shouldn't go in; she then contacted her on Tuesday to say not to come back until next Monday as she won't have anything for her until then. My friend responded to say she had xyz to do, and this woman snapped back at her to say all of that can wait. A similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago when she told my friend something could wait, then barked at her a couple of days later about why it hadn't been done. My friend offered to divert the office phone to her mobile which this woman said would be a good idea. Today my friend emailed the woman as she received a call from a client chasing something up that was due days ago; in response, the woman called my friend and shouted at her for "daring" to work unapproved hours. My friend explained that she was only relaying a message that she had received via phone, and that she wasn't even charging for the time she's been spending answering the office phone, but this seemed to fall on deaf ears. This woman told her they'd discuss it on Monday before slamming the phone down.

My friend is beyond upset. She puts everyone before herself and often gets walked over, which I think is happening here (I told her this). In my view, this woman is taking advantage of her kind and generous nature and I think things will only get worse over time.

This latest situation is just the tip of an ever-increasing iceberg. I think the biggest issue is the clash in personalities - this woman is extremely messy (she has three desks, all littered in paper, scribbles notes to herself which she struggles to understand afterwards, forgets things ... whereas my friend is incredibly organised and likes structure. This woman also sounds irritating - constantly running late, sighing and complaining about how much she has to do ... but she doesn't really get anything done as she spends too much time procrastinating.

I've suggested to my friend that she give notice and give a white lie of some description - that she has to care for a relative or something. I think if she told this woman it wasn't working out, she'd be out for revenge!

What advice would you offer to my friend?

PS: The job was meant to be five hours a day, five days a week but has strayed a lot from that (some days she's worked eight hours; others two; sometimes she hasn't gone in at all). She also had her carpark taken off her in week two, as someone from another business offered this woman more money for it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Resign with immediate effect. Imagine on probation, so can just terminate

Reactions: 8
Absolutely leave and just put it down to a good bad experience. Also, if the boss has people above her, maybe put everything in writing to them, too.

Reactions: 8
This woman sounds so dodgy and unprofessional (not your friend!), I'd leave as it won't improve. This woman won't change, its just not worth it, I'd definitely leave as well.....always listen to your gut. I made the same mistake once with a job and left after 2 months.

Reactions: 7
Leave immediately- this is not a professional environment.

Does she have a contract as if so the employer could be in breach of it with constantly changing her hours and telling her not to come in or is this a cash in hand type/informal arrangement?

Reactions: 5
Update:
She quit today; the woman threw a massive tantrum and told her to leave now.

So that's the end of that! She boxed up her stuff and left. She's worried she won't get paid for the past week and there were no witnesses to her being told to leave, so those two things might cause issues down the line ... still, it's only money; at least her sanity will be restored soon.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Update:

So that's the end of that! She boxed up her stuff and left. She's worried she won't get paid for the past week and there were no witnesses to her being told to leave, so those two things might cause issues down the line ... still, it's only money; at least her sanity will be restored soon.
I feel there is a lot more tolerance to workplace bullies and general arseholes since the pandemic and people are victimised, putting up with tit as they’re constantly being fed the tired line ‘be grateful you have a job’, employers are getting away with worse behaviour now.

• Heart
Was it only the woman and your friend?

I.e. the woman owned the company

Reactions: 1
Update:

I am betting anyone that has ever worked with or even knows this woman (the Boss) knows she is a kook. Your friend should just be glad to be out and move on.

Reactions: 3
Well done to her for leaving!! Sounds like an absolute nightmare, I hope she still pays her?

Reactions: 4
She sounds unhinged. It would be bad enough in a larger office but no way would I be alone in an office with someone like that.
Good luck!

Reactions: 5
I read it that the friend quit and the woman told her to leave immediately.
Yes, although I wouldn't be surprised if the woman did try to spin it that she was sacked. Wisely, she dated and emailed her resignation letter to this woman the night before (which the woman didn't see until the morning).

The workplace is a branch of a larger company ... this branch has just two people in it. Upon returning home, my friend immediately emailed a higher-up to relay her version of events.

Thank goodness it's over!

I feel there is a lot more tolerance to workplace bullies and general arseholes since the pandemic and people are victimised, putting up with tit as they’re constantly being fed the tired line ‘be grateful you have a job’, employers are getting away with worse behaviour now.
I couldn't agree more! Less jobs = more people hunting and it seems to be a free pass for employers to treat their staff like crap. I know of people who took wage cuts during the pandemic which have not been reinstated even though life has returned to normal. It's bloody disgusting.

Also HR depts and line managers turn a blind eye in some cases
At my old job they pulled a bully up after three complaints and she went off sick for three weeks citing stress and anxiety. She then returned and continued to behave the same way making peoples lives a misery. It's was addressed a second time and she went off sick again citing stress, panic attacks and anxiety. When she returned they wouldn't touch her because she claimed to be in the verge of a nervous breakdown. It was one of the reasons why I left.

• Angry
Reactions: 6