Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StewPots

VIP Member
My heart goes out to Kate and her children - it must’ve been awful these past years for all of them. However, there will be relief. My Dad was a lot older than he was in 2020, but like Derek caught Covid early on (despite being really careful as both he and my stepmum were high risk). They hadn’t been out in around 4 weeks but we think it came in on their online grocery shopping but WFK.

Anyway, at first they didn’t think Covid, just a run of the mill respiratory infection as they both got them frequently. Stepmum has lung issues, regularly in hospital etc and Dad had lots of things going on included suspected bowel cancer. They ring the GP, who was concerned it was something more so he said he’d visit (they lived in a very small town in Scotland and were regulars at the GP, as well as Dad playing golf with him too 🤣) so the GP goes round. At this point both had been in bed for 2/3 days, not eating etc. Thank GOD for that GP because he came in, took one look at them both and called an ambulance. Both were blue lighted to Inverness (fucking MILES from where they were as the town is so rural ) and put into isolation and tested. It was night so my Dad left me this gasping message saying he loved me and nothing else. I had no clue it was going on until I got hold of the hospital the next day and they confirmed both were there.

It was Covid and they were both in hospital for 7 weeks. I thought both would die.
They made it out - my Stepmum did brilliantly which was surprising as out the two, she was the worst off health wise for various things but Dad was a different matter.

He was left with long Covid and a lung issue called bronciostasis (spelled wrong I haven’t written that down in a long while) as well as other shit and was on oxygen 24/7 - they installed a thing in his home next to his bed. Honestly thought he would die very soon. 18 months he battled on for, but what a shitty time it was. He couldn’t leave the house, save the odd drive to the harbour with his mates carting an oxygen tank. No more of his beloved golf. Couldn’t eat his favourite foods. Couldn’t do his photography.

But he’d signed a DNR whilst in Hospital, which I respected him for and plan for myself. I’m currently for resus (I was in hospital during Covid for my Tietzes and the Drs came round with forms for everyone, even though I was in my 30s which was so fucking weird) but eventually I’ll have enough of this bollocks later in life so I don’t want to be resuscitated and my body in a worse state than before, unable to live my life.

Anyway….18 months later, when he was returning from the bathroom, he just dropped down dead. My stepmum said he was gone before he hit the floor, she could see it in his eyes. The paramedics came anyway, stepmum explained the DNR. It was awful for her and seeing the man she loved die like that in front of her was traumatising.

Obviously I was devastated, as they lived very far away and due to travel restrictions I couldn’t go up to see them but luckily they had visited me in the feb just weeks before Covid arrived in the UK and that last hug with my Dad I will treasure forever. But in all honesty, as an ex- NHS and residential home HCA, I was relieved it was over for him. My Dad was a shell of a man after Covid and it wasn’t right and he hated it. Repeat infections, dry mouth from oxygen, taking morphine that made him sick (I’m on oxycodone for my chest pain after I switched for the same reason) but most of all he couldn’t walk and my Dad always walked. Loved the hills round where they lived. So to have that all taken away was awful for him.

His death bought peace and in a way to all of us who cared for and about him too - seeing him suffer everyday was very distressing for my stepmum. I FaceTimed him regularly and just to see the weight loss, hear his once strong voice literally disappear, his struggle for breath between words…heartbreaking.

I’ve never written it all down like that online before and it feels cathartic to do so, but I have tears in my eyes remembering what he went through, even though he died a while ago now. So I’ll sign off for now.

RIP Dad, and RIP Derek. I hope you too are also at peace now it’s over and sending love to Kate and the kids.

• Heart
Reactions: 69

Fishwife

Chatty Member
Congratulations everyone.
My mother died 20 years ago just before Christmas. Her name was Mary. My uncle died a couple of days before his name was Joseph so I had to go into the local florist and order wreaths for Mary and Joseph. I was not sure they would believe me. The funerals were the same week. That was a strange Christmas.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 38

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
As I've said before, the Death Pool is just like picking lottery numbers or choosing a horse in the Grand National.

It's awful what Derek Draper went through, and you can't help but feel for his wife and children.
Hopefully, as they process the grief, they'll be able to feel a weight lift from their shoulders because at least now he is free from pain.
Poor fella.

Now, as for the game:
He only had one vote in 2023 and that person would still not go into first place so, if he did die in December and the announcement has only just been made, @Flowerpotgirl 's Queen Of Death crown is still safe.
44 points is a good start to the year (and is actually more than half of the final winning score for all of 2023) so this could be an interesting year!

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Here we go, steaming into 2024 like Gazza after he spots a pub.

Brief recap:

*We placed our 2024 lists.
VOTING NOW CLOSED
(until the next Bonus Round)
*Nobody from The List has died since 30th November '23
*The Queen of Death (our winner for 2023) is @Flowerpotgirl

Quick shout out to @thenorthremembers for her boring non-List death updates, and @TruthTeller1036 for always supporting the thread and approving of the new poll!
Oh, and to @JoJo76 for not dying.

Now, bring out the dead!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I wonder if Derek’s family feel a smidgeon of relief that he’s not suffering anymore? I still feel that documentary Kate did, showing how debilitated and vulnerable he was, was distasteful and I wonder if he had the capacity to consent to being filmed like that.

Reactions: 34

StewPots

VIP Member
Thank you all so much for your kind words since I posted about Dad yesterday 🧡🧡🧡

It was good to get it written down in a timeline of sorts like I did as tbh, I never processed his death properly. Like I knew it was coming for a long time - always waiting for the dreaded phone call. Then it did come and well…it was just so fucking surreal. And I couldn’t attend the funeral as there were still restrictions so watched it on my computer at home, like so many of us had to do in 2020-2022, so doubt that helped either. I dressed exactly as I would have done if I’d been there in person too. It’s just fucking weird how we process grief individually anyway but in those circumstances of Covid-Times it got even more fucked up. Not a time I hope we ever have to repeat 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Anyway. That was then, and this is now, and I’m glad I jumped onto this thread as you’re all so super lovely. I’ve got my son’s lurgy (not Covid) and feeling rough tonight but reading your funny comments is a good tonic 🧡

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Old Soak

VIP Member
  1. My baby sister was reported missing in Toronto 6 years back. She had been sexually assaulted and murdered and it has destroyed everything in our worlds. It was very high profile, he’s been convicted and he lost his appeal bid last week. I’m not looking for sympathy although I know you kind hearted lot will be rightly heartbroken and horrified. It’s not a secret, it’s our reality and I didn’t want to vague-post for those wondering. I’ve also developed the darkest sense of humour so forgive me for laughing at weird shit given my experience. And it goes without saying I miss that girl every single second of every day.
I know, you’ve been to hell and back and send nothing but love to you and your family. Thank god they see you as off limits x
Thank you. I do appreciate them leaving me out of it and I’m not trying to goad them. I just think they know how bad it would reflect on them

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Food & Drink names on the 2024 List include:
Ariana Grande (Latte)
Christina Pickles
David Burger Van Day
Dawn French Mustard
Jason Orange
Jaspar Carott
Jean Shrimpton
Joan Bakewell Tart
Kanye John West Tuna
Larry Lamb
Marc Almonds
Mary Berry
Prune-ella Scales
Onion Ringo Starr
Robert Plant-based diet
Salmon Rushdie (yes, I know)
Shia LaBouef
Smokey BBQ Robinson
Stephen Fry's Turkish Delight
Tim Curry
Tony Robinson's Barley Water
Uncle Kracker
Warren Buffett

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

thenorthremembers

VIP Member
Whoever voted I hate dick, you’re either a lesbian or alice evans brother. Whatever reason I hope your Fanny or dick falls off lol

• Haha
Reactions: 28

JodieGreen123

VIP Member
I’m shocked and appalled and maybe a little turned on by some of these food suggestions. You people are animals. I love it. Best thread on Tattle. Fact.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

JoJo76

VIP Member
Two years ago today I was waiting for an ambulance after falling and breaking my back. Didn’t die. Survived two major spinal surgeries. Still alive.

• Heart
Reactions: 27