2020 Overwhelm - a safe space

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly, I hope this thread is ok!

While I don’t want to dwell on the absolute abomination that has been 2020, both for the entire world essentially and for personal reasons, I thought I’d start a thread for people to have a safe space to vent or just let out all the overwhelm and have someone to chat to and for anyone to give any tips and advice on just dealing with the tit show that is life at the minute.

This year I have personally faced an incredibly difficult pregnancy, having said baby, a death of someone very close just 2 weeks later, very sadly almost too many cancer diagnoses of close relatives, family members and friends to count on one hand - and some extremely far advanced unfortunately, my little one having an extremely frightening health scare and most recently my partner facing redundancy and so many other small things that really are making me think 2020 is absolutely cursed - not to mention bloody coronavirus ruining everything else good in life. I feel every other day at the minute brings something terrible and while I’m a mentally strong person generally and I absolutely don’t want or need sympathy, the overwhelm is completely real and I’m starting to feel like it’s unhealthy to bottle it all up.

So, pull up a seat. If anyone else is having an absolute shitter this year or any year to be fair then I’m here, I hear you and see you and I’m sorry. You’re not alone and I hope together we can get through this. I hope this thread can bring some people comfort, someone to talk to, a friend or just somewhere to go to let it all out. Funny anecdotes also needed I think!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I have recently applied for a job, after being out of the job market for a very long time. It has been a nightmare, I first applied for the job weeks ago, I sent a copy of my CV in an email - this in itself was difficult.
The person in charge of hiring, said she would send me an application form, she did but I just could not get on with the form. It was difficult to type in the information. I emailed her back, and asked if she could send me a paper version of the form. So I waited for it to arrive, it didn't so I photocopied the form from the email that was sent, filled it in and posted it. I posted it on Friday. On Monday, I received the applcation form in the post. It included a DMB(?) Checklist of the paperwork that I will need to enclose. This is proving to be a nightmare, because most of my important documents are packed away or mislaid.
It may sound ironic, but my irritation with technology, and the need for everthing to be done on line, has developed into a full blown hatred. I long for the times when people communicated with each other face to face, and sent things through the post.

Reactions: 1
I have recently applied for a job, after being out of the job market for a very long time. It has been a nightmare, I first applied for the job weeks ago, I sent a copy of my CV in an email - this in itself was difficult.
The person in charge of hiring, said she would send me an application form, she did but I just could not get on with the form. It was difficult to type in the information. I emailed her back, and asked if she could send me a paper version of the form. So I waited for it to arrive, it didn't so I photocopied the form from the email that was sent, filled it in and posted it. I posted it on Friday. On Monday, I received the applcation form in the post. It included a DMB(?) Checklist of the paperwork that I will need to enclose. This is proving to be a nightmare, because most of my important documents are packed away or mislaid.
It may sound ironic, but my irritation with technology, and the need for everthing to be done on line, has developed into a full blown hatred. I long for the times when people communicated with each other face to face, and sent things through the post.
I meant to write DBS check.

It has been a horrible year. I wanted to fly to Germany to see my family this year.... that didn't happen.

I hurt my back in June (ruptured a disc) and it took forever to finally find some relief.

My car broke down and needed a new engine.

Our cat died unexpectant. I was already in my pajamas when my husband found him collapsed and struggling to breath. We rushed him to the emergency vet and they said he had acute heart failure. Paid a tit tone just for them to have to put him down.

Our dog had a bad reaction to his neuter, ended up at the emergency vet again.

It has been a nightmare trying to get an appointment for passports at the german embassy. I finally got 2 appointments and we drove the 3 hours Tuesday, spent a night in a hotel to be there bright and early yesterday. The guy was super rude and made me feel horrible for not realizing that I needed to have the originals and copies (which seemed to be a theme because the lady after me only brought originals too). And because he was so annoyed he only did 2 of the 3 passports and I have to try to get another appointment to have my passport done.

I am over this year!

• Sad
Totally get this - everything is online now it’s absolutely impossible to speak to an actual human, I think even if life or death was involved you’d still be bloody waiting for 5 hours to speak to someone!! Insane. Best of luck with your job application anyhow, I hope it all goes well for you!

It has been a horrible year. I wanted to fly to Germany to see my family this year.... that didn't happen.

I hurt my back in June (ruptured a disc) and it took forever to finally find some relief.

My car broke down and needed a new engine.

Our cat died unexpectant. I was already in my pajamas when my husband found him collapsed and struggling to breath. We rushed him to the emergency vet and they said he had acute heart failure. Paid a tit tone just for them to have to put him down.

Our dog had a bad reaction to his neuter, ended up at the emergency vet again.

It has been a nightmare trying to get an appointment for passports at the german embassy. I finally got 2 appointments and we drove the 3 hours Tuesday, spent a night in a hotel to be there bright and early yesterday. The guy was super rude and made me feel horrible for not realizing that I needed to have the originals and copies (which seemed to be a theme because the lady after me only brought originals too). And because he was so annoyed he only did 2 of the 3 passports and I have to try to get another appointment to have my passport done.

I am over this year!
Wow that is so tit, so sorry to hear about your cat and I can definitely relate on the car front, £750 down on my crappy 14 year old car feel like I could have done without that this summer!!! Hope you have made some sort of recovery with your back and that you finally get to see your family - it really sounds like you could catch a break.

While I really hate cliche sayings I really cannot stand it when people are unnecessarily rude, doesn’t hurt to just be kind to one another you literally don’t know how shite someone’s got it at the minute! Or ever!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Totally get this - everything is online now it’s absolutely impossible to speak to an actual human, I think even if life or death was involved you’d still be bloody waiting for 5 hours to speak to someone!! Insane. Best of luck with your job application anyhow, I hope it all goes well for you!
Thank you. I shall persevere in my quest.

@Sailorontheseasea your year sounds like mine, I gave birth earlier than expected due to complications then my terminally ill dad died by the time my baby would have been due.
@Rockin' Robin I completely understand the paper work thing ,it's such a hassle, and the pandemic means everything has to be done at a distance, so that makes it harder cos nobody is there to explain it all . And don't get me started on password.

I think I'll probably be on this thread a lot. I feel a bit down and 'prickly' if you know what I mean . I don't know if it's grief, post natal depression or if I'm due on .
I also feel quite trapped due to the pandemic and having little ones and my family aren't any help about it .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think this thread is a lovely idea

I had my baby end of February, not long before we went into lockdown. Hardly seen any of my family. Struggled a fair bit with PND. Two close relatives of mine have died since lockdown. One of the funerals is tomorrow and im the only one in my family not able to go 😣

I still say this is the best year of my life, due to having my baby boy. But God what a year it has been

I couldn't find the in laws thread so I'm having a rant about them on here . My youngest was born not long before lockdown so they haven't seen him much . They've now decided that they want to spend time with him when they do with my toddler ( they are the childcare bubble) . I said he wasn't ready , he is breast fed, still naps in his cot and they haven't seen him for a couple of months so they don't know what stage of development he is at .
Now they, especially fil are being all attitude about it . Apparently husband said it was alright cos they asked him a few vague questions about the baby's car seat ( and husband never stands up to his parents).

A day when I have to think about the in laws is a day ruined.

• Sad
i'm so so tired of life. i feel like i'm just a constant punching bag for everyone else. i can't help everyone and i feel like i'm expected to. i'm trapped in the house day in day out now that uni's all online and nobody understands how isolated i feel because of that yet they simultaneously expect me to be a housewife bc oh well you stay at home all day. i'm floundering with the amount of work i have to do and i'm so done.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
i'm so so tired of life. i feel like i'm just a constant punching bag for everyone else. i can't help everyone and i feel like i'm expected to. i'm trapped in the house day in day out now that uni's all online and nobody understands how isolated i feel because of that yet they simultaneously expect me to be a housewife bc oh well you stay at home all day. i'm floundering with the amount of work i have to do and i'm so done.
Would hug you if I could, but it'll have to be virtual. 🙋‍♀️💖X

• Heart