2 year old check up - health visitor

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi!

My LO has got his 2 year check coming up.

Anyone got any advise on what happens?

His 1 year check was fairly straight forward but feel this one could be more complex!

I have afew concerns and don’t want to be made out to be a bad mum!

Havent had the best history with HVs so not really looking forward to it.

Xx

Hello 👋🏻 Had our 2 year check up last year (September time I think), she gave us the option of phone call or zoom due to covid, I took the phone call cause I knew my littlun would be too distracted by the zoom call 😂
They give you a pamphlet thing to fill out ahead of time and then basically just discuss the answers with you.
I’m not keen on HV’s either but it was a pretty pleasant easy experience over the phone ☺

Reactions: 1
Hi, is this over the phone or in person? We got sent through a questionnaire and I just ran through it with my 2 year old to see his strengths and weaknesses (like a tick list). Some of the questions are really whacky. Usually they’re looking for anything majorly lacking but if they’re pretty much doing half or most of each section then they aren’t generally concerned. They also go through teeth, toiletting and other bits that I can’t remember. We are very lucky though because our HV since we’ve moved has been absolutely lovely but understandably some can be a bit mean. I always find the 1 year old one one worse tbh xx

Had ours the other day and it was pretty straight forward, went over the forms. Not sure if they are all the same?

it was a lot about their skills and language.

I understand you haven’t had a great experience, neither did I in the newborn stage, however it all went fine,

i had one minor concern which HV was really good about and sent me links and stuff afterwards.

most want to help you, so they wouldn’t be thinking you’re a bad mum so don’t let that stop you discussing any concerns you have.

hope it all goes well

Reactions: 2
Hello 👋🏻 Had our 2 year check up last year (September time I think), she gave us the option of phone call or zoom due to covid, I took the phone call cause I knew my littlun would be too distracted by the zoom call 😂
They give you a pamphlet thing to fill out ahead of time and then basically just discuss the answers with you.
I’m not keen on HV’s either but it was a pretty pleasant easy experience over the phone ☺
Thanks for your reply!

I didn’t realise I would get something before hand so that’s made me feels better! I thought I’d be put on the spot!
Ours is over the phone so atleast I don’t have to see them in person I suppose haha

Hi, is this over the phone or in person? We got sent through a questionnaire and I just ran through it with my 2 year old to see his strengths and weaknesses (like a tick list). Some of the questions are really whacky. Usually they’re looking for anything majorly lacking but if they’re pretty much doing half or most of each section then they aren’t generally concerned. They also go through teeth, toiletting and other bits that I can’t remember. We are very lucky though because our HV since we’ve moved has been absolutely lovely but understandably some can be a bit mean. I always find the 1 year old one one worse tbh xx
It’s over the phone!
That’s great thanks so much for your reply!
The questions I got asked at the 1 year I couldn’t believe to be honest, didn’t realised they expected so much for a just turned 1 year old! Xxx

Had ours the other day and it was pretty straight forward, went over the forms. Not sure if they are all the same?

it was a lot about their skills and language.

I understand you haven’t had a great experience, neither did I in the newborn stage, however it all went fine,

i had one minor concern which HV was really good about and sent me links and stuff afterwards.

most want to help you, so they wouldn’t be thinking you’re a bad mum so don’t let that stop you discussing any concerns you have.

hope it all goes well
Thanks for your reply!

I know that’s it, can’t tar them all with the same brush 😂 I just think when you get a horrible one they make you nervous 😂

I’m hoping for some additional help for his needs so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
  • Heart
My son was 2 in December we haven’t had anything yet or any contact should I chase the health visitors? I assumed it was due to lockdown

My son was 2 in December we haven’t had anything yet or any contact should I chase the health visitors? I assumed it was due to lockdown
they will send you a letter, my daughter was 2 in the summer but we only had ours this week.

I assume due to covid things have fallen behind.

I think it can depend on area? My daughter didn't get a 1 year check last summer due to covid and the re-deployment of HVs to other services.

Also you don’t have to have them. My daughter is in nursery, I declined it and said happy for her file at nursery to be released to the HV, but nursery had no issues with development.

Reactions: 2
I had to chase ours which was this time last year. I had no questionnaire, just a medical zoom (done through a nhs system I believe) and we just had an informal chat about how I felt he was going. She asked a few questions but it wasn’t imposing at all.

Mine was 2 in Dec too! They just rang today.
They normally are between 2-2.5 years of age.
But I know someone from a different part of my area under a different council who’s LO is over 2.5 and she’s not had anything.

We had ours last month, face to face though. My daughter was 27 months.

Basically a check on speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, eating/sleeping habits (I lie about sleep habits. We are happy with our situation without a HV sticking their oar in 🤣), talk of potty training.

HV also checked with me that we had her registered at the dentist, asked about using any pre-pre schools (we don’t/won’t) and if I had any concerns.

Reactions: 3
We had ours last month, face to face though. My daughter was 27 months.

Basically a check on speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, eating/sleeping habits (I lie about sleep habits. We are happy with our situation without a HV sticking their oar in 🤣), talk of potty training.

HV also checked with me that we had her registered at the dentist, asked about using any pre-pre schools (we don’t/won’t) and if I had any concerns.
Thank you! They have sent the questionnaire through so I’m ready to go through it over the next week!
Yes I’m also going to lie about sleeping situation, we’re happy and all sleep that’s all I’m bothered about 😂