Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it depends on what research is being done.
Some texts are not kept on site and have to be obtained from offsite storage.
A text from C17 may require supervision. White gloves and book cushion etc
When studying medicine it was somewhat normal to ask for help with literature research not only for older papers but also for like defining search parameter on pubmed. Ppl working there are ver
So I

I don’t know about Oxford in particular and haven’t used this service myself, but at the universities I’ve studied, MA students and up could book a limited number of meetings with librarians to have some kind of consultation about finding sources for larger research projects. It never made sense for me, since everything I worked with was pretty thoroughly digitized, but friends who did more historical subjects did use these consultations. Librarians at academic institutions are amazing at their jobs, and I’d assume libraries at Oxford would invest in that kind of expertise as a resource.

Doesn’t have to be the explanation here, but doesn’t seem impossible either.
i studied medicine and we had the librarians available to us for every research. They are very good at defining mesh terms for online research as well, imagine how good at it u could get if that’s the only thing u are doing day in day out. They did have extra personal for the upkeep of the library like returning books etc. even prof used there services. And if only to get somebody to look over it before one spends years doing a meta analysis and then noticing that the search terms could have been more precise or broader

Reactions: 3
It implied the Librarian knows her area of research and either happened across a book he knew she would be interested in or was actively searching on her behalf.
Worth bearing mind as well that Ruby has a tendency to embellish these kind of things, choose misleading language or outright lie to make herself seem special.

She did it a lot at Exeter and tried to make it seem like she was some kind of VIP on her course or every tutor's favourite student, when she was either making stuff up or misrepresenting everyday meetings and blanket emails that were sent to all students and acted like they were just for her.

She's always been a relentless suck-up with tutors and faculty (sending them unsolicited letters, cards and gifts constantly), so it's entirely possible she has made an effort to speak to the librarian there whenever she's there, they remembered one of the areas of study she feigned an interest in or asked about and were nice enough to ask if she'd like to view a text they came across that they thought might interest her.

But it's also likely that she just put in a standard request to view a manuscript mentioned on her course that was in the library's archives and then she got a boilerplate email from the library to confirm she could view them at a certain time, then she embellished from there.

Reactions: 8
More than likely she sees it as a fun way to pretend she is a kid having a sleepover, like Anne Shirley and Diana Barry in Anne of Green Gables, who also shared a bed, or how she used to have sleepovers with her cousins a few times a year. She doesn't seem to know who or what she is or will be, so I think a lot of people are imagining things for the sake of creating more curious content.
They are bosom FRANDS.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Exactly!! Everyone thinks there's some secret story or meaning, when most the time it's cases like this! Like lets actually focus on the main discussion as now it just feels like speculation about a non existent relationship... a waste of time. Like who cares if she's in a relationship or not. It's not our business or care whatsoever!
Edit for spelling
???? Nothing about her life is ‘our business or care’, though???? If you don’t believe it’s the case, that’s fine, and btw the bed thing wasn’t even brought up by someone who believes they like each other, it was someone else.

It’s funny for it to be dismissed as ‘not our business’ as if every single post in all 45 threads isn’t talking about stuff that is not our business!

So I

I don’t know about Oxford in particular and haven’t used this service myself, but at the universities I’ve studied, MA students and up could book a limited number of meetings with librarians to have some kind of consultation about finding sources for larger research projects. It never made sense for me, since everything I worked with was pretty thoroughly digitized, but friends who did more historical subjects did use these consultations. Librarians at academic institutions are amazing at their jobs, and I’d assume libraries at Oxford would invest in that kind of expertise as a resource.

Doesn’t have to be the explanation here, but doesn’t seem impossible either.
Awesome thank you. What a great resource to have at MA and up. I work in libraries but not Academia so only search what special collections we have upon request. I'd imagine Oxford has lots of materials that will never be digitized and aren't catalogued either.