Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think some of you are misunderstanding my point about the public knowing the song before hand. I’m not talking about whether it’s an established act or not, or being able to vote for it. Just saying that if we don’t know/like the song we send, how can we expect the rest of Europe to?

I’m thinking of the scandi countries that have weeks of the Melodien Gran Prix (I think that’s what it’s called) - the winning song will have had weeks of air time before even being chosen. People will be listening to it. It goes on youtube so people in other countries have a listen. It gives it time for people to like it before Eurovision week. That’s what then gets votes.

we basically debut a mediocre song on the Saturday and wonder why the European public doesn’t vote for it.

Reactions: 5
I think some of you are misunderstanding my point about the public knowing the song before hand. I’m not talking about whether it’s an established act or not, or being able to vote for it. Just saying that if we don’t know/like the song we send, how can we expect the rest of Europe to?

I’m thinking of the scandi countries that have weeks of the Melodien Gran Prix (I think that’s what it’s called) - the winning song will have had weeks of air time before even being chosen. People will be listening to it. It goes on youtube so people in other countries have a listen. It gives it time for people to like it before Eurovision week. That’s what then gets votes.

we basically debut a mediocre song on the Saturday and wonder why the European public doesn’t vote for it.
You know Olly's song was played quite often on Radio 1, right?

But was it played anywhere else? Did he perform it live anywhere?
---
A lot of people I know who are big fans hadn’t really heard the song much, but had heard the Norwegian/swedish ones for example

Thing is, the promo really only matters for the semis where a lot of fans watch. By the final you have a lot of casual viewers that think the contest is just that one final and not months and months of lead up

Reactions: 3

Because in some of those Nordic countries their national finals are bigger than Eurovision itself. The Swedish one- Melodifestivalen is literally the most popular show. In comparison to that- nobody cares about Eurovision in the UK.

All Eurovision entries have to be released some time in March so they are definitely accessible.

Reactions: 4
Olly was dreadful a couple of years ago on the BBC New Year’s Eve show. I didn’t really know who he was but there was a lot of rolling around the stage but not much substance to it.

Don’t know about anyone else but it was nice to see joost doing what he does best. Entertaining people. He was bigger then Eurovision and his song totally summed up what they were trying to spread and people was threatened personally

Reactions: 2
Because in some of those Nordic countries their national finals are bigger than Eurovision itself. The Swedish one- Melodifestivalen is literally the most popular show. In comparison to that- nobody cares about Eurovision in the UK.

All Eurovision entries have to be released some time in March so they are definitely accessible.
BIB kinda proves my point then, as Sweden are now the (joint) most successful country in Eurovision.

if we as a country want to do well, we have to take an interest in what we send. Actually I think there’s been a rise in Eurovision popularity in Britain in recent years. Richard Osman mentioned viewing figures are up, so I don’t see why there wouldn’t be appetite for more public input in our act. I agree though, people would have to take it seriously.
---
Also also (I know I take this far too seriously 😂) the other thing we need to stop doing, is produce songs that sound good on the radio version due to production/auto tune, but which then sounds a lot worse ashen performed live.

Mae Muller fell horribly foul to this. The single version was really good, but once you heard it live it was easy to tell it had been auto tuned and had effects put on her voice. It was the same with that James Newman guy we sent in 2021. Decent song, sounded good on the radio but he couldn’t sing it live.

Last edited:

True story, Mello as we call it and ESC are always the most watched telly-shows in Sweden and the talk of the town. We are weirdos. 😂But of course doing more like the Scandinavian countries with several competitions in different towns and letting everybody that wants write a song and hope it will be one of the songs thats gets to compete would raise the interest in UK. The only ones that don't want to compete in Mello are the really big Swedish artists because imaging being a big star in Sweden competing for Sweden in ESC and don't qualify to the final! 😱😱😱 That could end a career. 🤣

Reactions: 1
What’s this about Slovenia questioning EBU about this year‘s mess, their enforcement of new rules and sponsor influence? They also want to know details about the tele voting? I hope more countries come for them. This year was a mess and if they want to continue, things need to change.

What’s this about Slovenia questioning EBU about this year‘s mess, their enforcement of new rules and sponsor influence? They also want to know details about the tele voting? I hope more countries come for them. This year was a mess and if they want to continue, things need to change.
Television Slovenia have concerns over the large number of "new online voters" and "requests more precise explanations from the EBU regarding the exclusion of the Netherlands; reports by some media that technical means were used to replace the actual sound image of what was happening in the hall; on banning the EU flag; about the possible influence of the sponsor on the content of the event…"

Television Slovenia have concerns over the large number of "new online voters" and "requests more precise explanations from the EBU regarding the exclusion of the Netherlands; reports by some media that technical means were used to replace the actual sound image of what was happening in the hall; on banning the EU flag; about the possible influence of the sponsor on the content of the event…"
All problems and chaos this year except for Joost being disqualified seems to boil down to Israels participation in one way or the other but what to do? This is a loose-loose situation because if you boycott because of Israel or ban Israel from coming you get accused of supporting terrorists. If you go and don't ban Israel you get accused of supporting genocide. I think this war will affect a lot of things for a long time and we have the summer olympics coming up. As it is now Israel will compete and so will other countries from the Middle east like Iran. Poor Paris.

I agree with Slovenia on the votes from the rest of the world, who are the rest of the world, how many are they and how did this online voting worked? I also want to know. And the main sponsor Moroccanoil are an Israeli company, did they have any influence on the content?

All problems and chaos this year except for Joost being disqualified seems to boil down to Israels participation in one way or the other but what to do? This is a loose-loose situation because if you boycott because of Israel or ban Israel from coming you get accused of supporting terrorists. If you go and don't ban Israel you get accused of supporting genocide. I think this war will affect a lot of things for a long time and we have the summer olympics coming up. As it is now Israel will compete and so will other countries from the Middle east like Iran. Poor Paris.

I agree with Slovenia on the votes from the rest of the world, who are the rest of the world, how many are they and how did this online voting worked? I also want to know. And the main sponsor Moroccanoil are an Israeli company, did they have any influence on the content?
I did see on FB this morning that Moroccanoil are confirmed to be next years sponsors. whether that will still be the case come next year, who knows.
---
A more lighthearted moment:

Screenshot_20240522-073316_Reddit.jpg

• Haha

The rest of the world vote barely makes any difference so I’m not sure why everyone has their knickers in a twist about it to be honest. It’s a max of 12 points for whoever wins it, the way Slovenia’s statement talks about it and people on X do is as if it’s based on how many people voted as “the rest of the world” but tbh it’s irrelevant when it’s a max of 12 points. Nobody sits there and complains that it’s unfair more people voted in Sweden than Luxembourg. (Example assuming this is generally the case given their comparative population size and how popular ESC is in Sweden)

Nemos number in the making. Same choreographer done several Eurovision number, for example Cha cha cha and No Rules for Finland and Heroes with Måns Zelmerlöv. He must have great imagination.

Wow, this is amazing...the amount of work and dedication that went into it.

I'm glad The Code won. I much prefer it to RTTD even though Baby Lasagna seems like an absolutely top bloke

Reactions: 5
The rest of the world vote barely makes any difference so I’m not sure why everyone has their knickers in a twist about it to be honest. It’s a max of 12 points for whoever wins it, the way Slovenia’s statement talks about it and people on X do is as if it’s based on how many people voted as “the rest of the world” but tbh it’s irrelevant when it’s a max of 12 points. Nobody sits there and complains that it’s unfair more people voted in Sweden than Luxembourg. (Example assuming this is generally the case given their comparative population size and how popular ESC is in Sweden)
I know the rest of the world got the same points as a jury, max 12 but I'm still want to know how many votes and from which countries out of curiosity. I'm nosy. 😅 But I don't think it was some kind of cheating with those votes.

I just think the rest of the world is a cash grab. TBH the only people really who are voting from ROW are the Eurovision diehards anyway.

I'm also pleased that Nemo won @MrsBsDayOff I think to sing whilst spinning on that thing was impressive and I liked the song before I saw the choreo.

I'm also very happy that Gjon's tears has already said he wants to come back to perform Tout L'univers because he was great with his Tiny Tony Hadley looks, sparkly blouse and wavy armography :)

I do hope Celine makes an appearance.