Your opinions on cannabis/weed?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a discussion going on in the Diane Abbott thread about weed which got me thinking...

Weed seems to be very controversial, lots of people say it's 'just a plant and harmless' but for my age I've seen the not so great side to it, also. I think weed is different for everyone like alcohol is and affects everybody differently. In moderation it seems to mostly be okay, but many people chain smoke it daily.

I've known some people to smoke it and live their lives, hold down a job and be okay people. I've also had friends who became so paranoid, became dealers to pay for their habits, get so aggressive and fighty and nasty when they had no weed left and one person I used to know stopped showering, brushing his teeth and all of his personal hygiene went out of the window because he spent all of his money on weed so couldn't afford shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste, food even. My friend's dad could barely leave the house because he smoked it all of his life and in the end thought people in the street were following him and out to get him. These days it seems to be a very strong strain and I was with a group of friends who smoked a joint and they reckoned it had glass in it and they all got chest pains after sharing the joint. My ex got more violent and aggressive when he couldn't get any weed and there were times we went hungry so he could get his fix.

I find many people who smoke it daily often become so unmotivated, lazy and paranoid. They become a shell of themselves and have no real plans in life other than to get high.

I'm sure in small doses it's okay, like socially at parties, but there's always the risk that it can trigger mental health issues underlying inside of you already. Does anybody have any experiences good or bad with weed?

Reactions: 6
I used to smoke it occasionally as a teen but then realised I wanted a career in care so I quit, I never had any bad effects but literally smoked maybe 4 joints in a month. I know some one who smoked heavily as a teen and still occasionally now and he's a sound guy but the stories he has off when he was a heavy user are horrifying!

Reactions: 1
My neighbour would smoke £100 of it a week if not more, was borrowing more off his dealer etc than he could pay for. He tried intimidating me and my mum to give him money for weed and when we refused he got violent and extremely aggressive. This is a man in his 60's... so personally, I don't think it's as harmless as some think. He was a horrible man anyway but a helluva lot worse when he couldn't get any weed.

Reactions: 4
I think it's a dangerous road. Dont get me wrong I'll have a joint every now and then but I have seen people become addicted (not physically but mentally) and it has ruined not only their life but their families lifes too.
Any controlled drug, legal or illegal can be addictive and ruin lifes. But because weeds "jUsT a PlAnT" people think it's harmless, untill it's too late.
Not only financially but more important, it mentally fucks you up!

Reactions: 2
I think weed should 1000% be allowed on medical grounds, or at least the government should fund some proper research in to the positive effects it can have on diseases etc. However, I don’t agree with it recreationally. It smoked it quite a lot in my teenage years and found that it was starting to make my anxiety a lot worse, so I stopped straight away. My mum knows someone who went to Amsterdam for a long weekend and smoked loads of it (and had never smoked previously) and it COMPLETELY fucked them up. From then onwards they had severe mental health issues. I know that sounds ridiculous and lots of ‘stoners’ would say ‘that’s impossible, that wouldn’t happen after a weekend of smoking weed’ but it’s the truth. Many of the people who I smoked it with as a teenager still smoke it now, and it’s seems to be a lifestyle for them, rather than a habit. Which is really sad. However, on the other hand I know people that smoke it regularly and are completely fine. It affects different people in different ways, which I think is quite scary.

Reactions: 5

Yel

I think the modern strains of super high thc skunk are very harmful. People I know that have been smoking it regularly have turned their brain into mush.

Prohibition has caused these more harmful varieties that are a world apart from what people had a few decades ago imo.

Reactions: 5
I do worry about it. a family member smokes it heavily, and two online friends also are users, one heavily and one every now and then. The family member has major anger issues which disappear once he has his weed but are exacerbated massively when he doesn’t have any/have money for any - he gets violent and will stop at nothing to get it.
the online friends I know less of obviously but they both use it as a relaxant. From that angle it looks good to me, I think as an anxious person I would consider trying weed v lightly if it aided with anxiety. But at the risk of sounding like an old fart I worry about it eventually not being ‘enough’ and leading to trying heavier stuff for the high 🙈 as with my family member, he packs so much into his joints nowadays he needs more and more to hit a high.

There was a discussion going on in the Diane Abbott thread about weed which got me thinking...

Weed seems to be very controversial, lots of people say it's 'just a plant and harmless' but for my age I've seen the not so great side to it, also. I think weed is different for everyone like alcohol is and affects everybody differently. In moderation it seems to mostly be okay, but many people chain smoke it daily.

I've known some people to smoke it and live their lives, hold down a job and be okay people. I've also had friends who became so paranoid, became dealers to pay for their habits, get so aggressive and fighty and nasty when they had no weed left and one person I used to know stopped showering, brushing his teeth and all of his personal hygiene went out of the window because he spent all of his money on weed so couldn't afford shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste, food even. My friend's dad could barely leave the house because he smoked it all of his life and in the end thought people in the street were following him and out to get him. These days it seems to be a very strong strain and I was with a group of friends who smoked a joint and they reckoned it had glass in it and they all got chest pains after sharing the joint. My ex got more violent and aggressive when he couldn't get any weed and there were times we went hungry so he could get his fix.

I find many people who smoke it daily often become so unmotivated, lazy and paranoid. They become a shell of themselves and have no real plans in life other than to get high.

I'm sure in small doses it's okay, like socially at parties, but there's always the risk that it can trigger mental health issues underlying inside of you already. Does anybody have any experiences good or bad with weed?
I agree with eveything you’ve said, the two people I know who have both been heavy users for a long time are now mentally ill, one very severely mentally ill where she has lost grip of reality and needs a carer, it’s sad as we were at university together and she was incredibly bright and from an affluent respectable family, she found it amusing to start ‘slumming it’ hanging around with some local scally dealers, got into a relationship with one, started smoking weed everyday and dropped out of uni, I used to check in on her regularly as I was always worried, started getting weird rambling emails from her, pages and pages of diatribe about things like how incredible and free the birds In the sky where, alarm bells were ringing, I phoned her boyfriend who answered and told me he was kicking her out as she had ‘lost the plot,went to collect her and she was an absolute shell of her self, I was so shocked by how she looked I burst into tears and demanded to know from her dealer boyfriend what drugs she had been on, turns out it was genuinely just weed, a lot of it everyday, she had to be sectioned and admitted to emergency mental health ward, she has never recovered, I am 100% convinced it was weed which done that to her
I myself had the occasion joint when I was younger, I was had a terrible trippy experience from having a ‘bucket’ (lol), had bad panic attacks afterwards for weeks

I hate the stuff, would be devastated if my child started smoking it when they are older, I will do eveything in my power to keep them away from it
This is only a comment on its recreational use btw as I have no knowledge or experience on it for medical uses

• Wow
I'm very anti drugs.

I come from a pretty tough council estate, where drugs are a huge issue, and I made a decision in my teens that I didn't want to be involved at all in that life and I've never touched any illegal drug. I have quite an addictive personality and knew that it would be a very dangerous path to go down. Danniella Westbrook's nose also put me off 😂

I was lucky in that my friends at school weren't into drugs and I've never been around people who have wanted to take drugs in front of me or encouraged me to do so through my adult life either. I have been offered them a couple of times but refused.

It would be an absolute deal breaker for me if someone I was involved with was taking drugs. I met my partner online and when he said he worked in marketing, I thought that he was going to be some coke snorting bleeping PR wideboy - but he works for the government and has the possibility of random drug testing so no 😂 He did experiment in his uni days so doesn't take as hard a line as me on the subject.

If you followed as many murder trials as I do, you'd realise how big a problem drugs are - even something as low level as cannabis. I can honestly say probably 85%-90% of trials I follow involve drugs in some way whether you're taking them, growing then, running them, dealing them or importing them. Even it it starts out with no drugs involved, they will usually come up somewhere down the line. It's a vicious, grubby, seedy cut throat world and one I am very glad I had the good sense to avoid. It's also utterly depressing.

Reactions: 11
I have fallen out with a family member due to Weed. My niece's was smoking it and dealing it at a my niece's 21st party we was all attending.
At least 3 of us clocked him dealing it but he swore blind he didn't. My niece has taken her bf's side even though she's fully aware of it. Its been a year now and we don't speak and not likely too.
Another story is my relatives work colleague is high on the stuff, her and her boyfriend have got into huge amounts of debt due to smoking Weed and they still wont stop. They say it calms them down. You can tell when they haven't had their daily dose of it as they are incredibly moody.

I have and always will be anti drugs.

Reactions: 3
I hate it.
Don’t get me wrong it obviously helps on some medical grounds and for this I 100% agree that it should be a viable and controlled option (research, monitored etc). Recreationally, not a fan. My BIL is a heavy user and I’ve seen the affect it has had as in, he seems slower response etc generally as time has gone on. Like I can physically see the affect it’s had over the years. Another close family member smokes it heavily, is paranoid, deals, and has branched onto heavier crap. I’m anti drugs, I did weed as a teen ocassionally until once I had a stronger strain which actually scared the sh!t out of me it wasn’t even like a high it was utterly vile. With all the different strains out there it’s just something I wouldn’t mess with. Yes it’s a PlAnT but that doesn’t make it harmless.

I think the modern strains of super high thc skunk are very harmful. People I know that have been smoking it regularly have turned their brain into mush.

Prohibition has caused these more harmful varieties that are a world apart from what people had a few decades ago imo.

This is why I think legalise. My dad has parkinsons, it has been proven to help. If he was to go to a dealer who knows what strain it would be and if it would be effective. If he could go to a weed dispensary like LA, he could get the right weed for him.

Personally I don't mind it. Had the odd doob. Smoked heavy for periods but not touched it two years. Brother smokes regularly no issues. Husbands friend can't function without it, if stoned around his kids etc. I think it's a problem for him.
It's the same as booze, some can have it now and again. Some people take it too far.

I think it will be legalised because of how much money it can bring in when you tax it.

My dad is an ex police officer, he says he’d legalise every drug except cannabis. My experience of it was tried it in my teens wasn’t fussed about it and preferred to spend my money on clothes and clubbing. A friend of mine had bi-polar (this was over 20 years ago so now wonder if it was actually misdiagnosed border line personality disorder) and smoked it heavily causing her to be sectioned twice. People smoke it so blatantly now and it stinks. I work in a community clinic which has a park next door. In the summer lots of people smoke in the park causing our waiting room to stink, the smells so strong you could chew on it😐

• Wow
I think medicinal uses are well documented and it should be available for that. Smoking however should be discouraged, as there are other ways of consuming it that are not harmful, while with smoking risks usually outweigh the benefits. Otherwise, it’s not that much different to alcohol, but due to prohibition, people have no culture of using it recreationally. Skunk is like drinking methylated sprits or badly home brewed liquor that will poison you. But natural cannabis, like the one grown in the fields in Jamaica, is a completely different thing. I’m European and even my grandmother told me that women in her village used to drink alcohol that had some cannabis buds in it, to relieve period pain and to get jolly while they spun wool together (this is like 70 years ago) it was completely normal, like having a glass of wine.
People with mental illness tend to self-medicate, usually with cannabis, alcohol and benzodiazepines (and sometimes with harder drugs too) so it can look like these drugs made them ill, but most of the time it’s just a part of the illness (and it makes the illness worse). Excessive consumption in the long term will cause amotivational syndrome in people with no underlying MH condition, and associated depression, anxiety, paranoia etc. is pretty bad but it tends to resolve when the drug is stopped and shouldn’t have any lasting effects (besides effects of smoking).

Reactions: 4
I'm very anti drugs.

I come from a pretty tough council estate, where drugs are a huge issue, and I made a decision in my teens that I didn't want to be involved at all in that life and I've never touched any illegal drug. I have quite an addictive personality and knew that it would be a very dangerous path to go down. Danniella Westbrook's nose also put me off 😂

I was lucky in that my friends at school weren't into drugs and I've never been around people who have wanted to take drugs in front of me or encouraged me to do so through my adult life either. I have been offered them a couple of times but refused.

It would be an absolute deal breaker for me if someone I was involved with was taking drugs. I met my partner online and when he said he worked in marketing, I thought that he was going to be some coke snorting bleeping PR wideboy - but he works for the government and has the possibility of random drug testing so no 😂 He did experiment in his uni days so doesn't take as hard a line as me on the subject.

If you followed as many murder trials as I do, you'd realise how big a problem drugs are - even something as low level as cannabis. I can honestly say probably 85%-90% of trials I follow involve drugs in some way whether you're taking them, growing then, running them, dealing them or importing them. Even it it starts out with no drugs involved, they will usually come up somewhere down the line. It's a vicious, grubby, seedy cut throat world and one I am very glad I had the good sense to avoid. It's also utterly depressing.
I’ve always said before & after posters of her should be plastered everywhere! Especially in women’s toilets 🙈 She was such a pretty girl 😔

I don’t smoke it, I quit cigarettes a couple years ago when I had a baby. But very open to it, most of my friends and family smoke it. It helps my mum a lot with the pain she’s in from her illnesses

I don’t smoke it, I quit cigarettes a couple years ago when I had a baby. But very open to it, most of my friends and family smoke it. It helps my mum a lot with the pain she’s in from her illnesses
I’m also very against alcohol. And I think if you are ok with people drinking alcohol then you can’t say tit about weed

Reactions: 6
The thing I don’t understand is we’re realising how dangerous smoking is and cigarette smoking is dropping however suddenly everyone thinks smoking weed is cool?? Surely it’s still smoking and we should be stopping that.

I’ve tried it and hate the taste and don’t like the feeling so it’s not for me. I also hate the smell and you smell it everywhere these days!! That also annoys me especially when my children ask ‘what’s that strange smell?’

I think like with any drug it depends on how you use it, how you personally react with it and your general state of mind in the first place. I've seen people who enjoy a bit of recreational cannabis now and again and have a nice time and no ill effects from it, and I've seen people who smoke way too much and it affects their life and mental health.
I don't think there's a one size fits all 'good drug' - it's all dependent on so many factors.
I used to smoke a bit back in my teens (20 or so years ago now) and back then found it really enjoyable and giggly. The new style super strength weed however is really unpleasant to me and makes me instantly anxious and sick. It's like a completely different drug.

OK, I used to go to a lot of raves and rave clubs in the early/mid 90s. I used to take whizz, ecstasy and smoked weed. On one occasion I also took coke and on another (very memorable) occasion I took LSD; a lot of it, I had no idea how it worked and count myself very, very fortunate to have not suffered any lasting ill effects. However, I only did it whilst out, never on other days like an ex boyfriend did - he was pretty trashed when I knew him and I heard that he had ended up on heroin. I don't know off that is true, but I can imagine it might be as he just didn't know when to stop. Looking back I feel embarrassed that I ever allowed myself to be involved with him, even though it was a short lived 6 month relationship that ended 24 years ago! I did all of this once or twice a month for about 2 years until my life moved on into other things. The weed we used was the solid resin and I don't think it was anywhere near as strong as the stuff that is around now. I have heard of people being sectioned with mental health problems through smoking super strength weed and that scares me.

I’m of the mind everything in moderation. Be that drugs or alcohol even down to gambling. If you enjoy it and it doesn’t put your health at risk then why not. On another note I don’t drink or do drugs as I personally don’t enjoy being in the state of not knowing what I’m doing. I wouldn’t even have gas and air when in labour as I hated it. I wouldn’t judge anyone for it though as long as a) you smoke it at your own place and b) you don’t force it onto others 😊