Your opinions on cannabis/weed?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My aunt an her family all smoke it, it actually makes me feel physically ill smelling it so I refuse to go to any of their houses now an also won't have them come near mine, I've never had a problem with what anyone does in their house so long as it's not hurting others but the sad thing is weed has a vile smell an spreads everywhere, if a neighbour was heavily smoking it I'd be reporting consistently about it because why shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy being in my garden or have to keep windows an doors shut an not put washing out because of it

Out of all the choices of illegal drugs, I would prefer to interact with a stranger who had smoked weed than one who had smoked Ice. Weed has amazing pain relief properties once the addictive component is removed. I think smoking it is still bad for your lungs, the second hand smoke for those around you and the smell. There are other ways to take the drug. If someone is smoking the occasional weed in the neighbourhood in their house I am not going to care, if they do it out in public and around kids then I would say something to them. I do live in a neighbourhood that has houses getting raided constantly though, so many 'labs' out this way

Reactions: 2
I have noticed more and more people just walking down the street with a joint! Why? Do they think they're cool? Hard? Are they addicted and can't do without? Literally never noticed it until the last 6 months or so.

i dated a weed smoker and he was totally emotionally unavailable, would not discuss issues in the relationship and got angry and explode whenever i tried to talk any problems, so weird - like a chilled guy but prone to exploding if I tried to drag a conversation about anything out of him. it was like he wasnt capable of expressing emotions or just didn't want to and it made him uncomfortable. just wanted to have another joint. it was very unfufilling for me. i wonder if he had other mental health issues going on

Reactions: 1
i dated a weed smoker and he was totally emotionally unavailable, would not discuss issues in the relationship and got angry and explode whenever i tried to talk any problems, so weird - like a chilled guy but prone to exploding if I tried to drag a conversation about anything out of him. it was like he wasnt capable of expressing emotions or just didn't want to and it made him uncomfortable. just wanted to have another joint. it was very unfufilling for me. i wonder if he had other mental health issues going on
Iv experienced this with a partner too. Didn't help he was always high as a kite when I saw him. But totally emotionally empty and unavailable. Shame really because he's never seemed happy

Used to smoke it occasionally at uni. Haven't had it now in about 10 years. I think it's ok if used in moderation (and I know people who do and are fine), although I'm conscious that some people do get addicted and it affects their physical and mental health. I don't think it should be glamourised, but I don't think it should be condemned either. I'd be ok with decriminalising it.

I used to smoke it before I fell pregnant and haven't touched it since. I could always take it or leave it, I used to enjoy it, it would relax me but I'd only smoke it once or twice a week. My ex partner however has smoked it since he was 17 and he's now 36. He's two different people, all sentimental etc when he's smoking it, evil when he's not or has no money to buy it, he's also absolutely terrible with money because most of his income is spent on it. Sad life to live.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I find the argument for the legalisation of weed in the UK quite interesting. I’m personally in favour of only legalising it for medicinal purposes. I’ve had the very occasional puff during my uni years but I’ve seen the negative side like many here. The argument it’s harmless is surely irrelevant these days with high strength strains being more readily available. We actually don’t know the long term damage it’s doing to people and I imagine there’s the possibility of some kind of health crisis waiting to happen.

I find the argument that we’re behind the times quite tiresome however some reform might be semi beneficial. (I’m not sure what as I’m not an expert in how police deal with cannabis)

The issue is that even if it were legalised with dispensaries that sold controlled verities there would still be an underground market selling cheeper and higher strength strains. (Just like there’s still a market for cheap under the counter cigarettes that have been smuggled in from overseas)

The government would never legally supply the high strength strains full time super stoners would want. I imagine these dispensaries would be targeting the casual once or twice a month smokers and be deliberately expensive so dodgy Dave selling super strength skunk wouldn’t be affected by decriminalisation.

I’ve smoked it as a one off and for me personally it’s a double edged sword. It calms down the side of my brain that’s really loud but then I get the paranoia. My friend smokes it on a regular basis and I find him frustrating to be around when he’s really stoned- we play online games together and it really affects his performance and ability to listen to instructions. So based on that I don’t think it should be available for everyone recreationally. But I do think it has value for medicinal uses- and make smoking it safer for them.
A few years ago I heard that one of the reasons weed isn’t legalised over here is down to taxation. Cigarettes and alcohol stimulate a person in similar ways but thats tax for two industries/ products rather then just one that can have a similar impact. I don’t know how true that is though.
Legalisation of a drug and decriminalising it are two different things though and I lean towards decriminalising drug usage, like in other countries, so addicts can have access to safe spaces for usage and rather being pulled into a prison system they can get help with their sobriety and the underlying problems that have pushed them towards drug usage.
In terms of legalisation, the Netherlands allows use of weed and looking at the stats of lifelong cannabis use they rank lower than the Uk (the uk has 31% more lifelong cannabis users). So there could be an effect of it becoming less appealing if it’s something available. The Netherlands also has lower crime statistics (although definitely not saying legalising weed has an impact on that, they have very different ways of governance e.g their wage taxes are much higher, to help improve things as a whole). But personally I think the Uk is a bit too broken right now to legalise something like this and it not have a negative impact.

I don’t like the smell and was rather judgemental about it, however my sister (she doesn’t mind me sharing) has MS and has been prescribed it for medical reasons and it’s changed her life, she’s able to get up, go out and do things when she couldn’t and can now manage her pain she has it in oil form and thankfully it doesn’t stink everywhere out.

• Heart
I absolutely hate it.

I’ve tried it a few times in my life and never enjoyed it, but mostly my gripe is that there is someone on my road that smokes it daily. No idea who it is but the smell comes into my house and makes me feel sick. It’s ever so strong. We have reported it multiple times but nothing is ever done.

I've smoked a lot over the years but it's at a point now where I'm so depressed and it's not helping me. I feel hazy so much of the time and it makes my depression laziness worse too.

Thankfully I can smoke it in private, idk why people do it outdoors it just bothers other people. Not everyone likes the smell.

I’m not into it myself and it’s about 20 years since I was in uni and occasionally trying it but I’m 100% in favour of legalisation. If people want it, they’ll get it , why deny the people that would never illegally get it but could really benefit from it for MS etc

Reactions: 4
I’m not into it myself and it’s about 20 years since I was in uni and occasionally trying it but I’m 100% in favour of legalisation. If people want it, they’ll get it , why deny the people that would never illegally get it but could really benefit from it for MS etc
^ This so much. I'm pretty sure you can already get cannabis on prescription in the UK but it's pretty rare and apparently the quality isn't fantastic. (so I've heard idk for sure) Cannabis can improve symptoms in many conditions and I think proper legislation would benefit so many people, and tbh if it was legal I think that'd turn off a lot of the appeal towards it, especially from young people because it'd be easier to obtain without the risky element of being illegal.

I don't think people should be going to jail over cannabis, other drugs sure, but it'd take a lot of pressure off our legal system if cannabis was legalised.

Two people got on the bus tonight and absolutely stunk of it 🤢 everyone was turning their heads in disgust to see who smelt rancid.
Do they not realise they reek of it?

I can only speak from my own experience at uni but two of my flat mates were quite heavy users (8-13 joints in the evening) and the mental deterioration over an academic year was huge. They became paranoid and the usual story of it not being addictive and they can stop any time… it seemed to affect their sleep so they smoked more to sleep and their studies were heavily affected. Really not a good advert at all.

I’m sure a long term 30 year study came out a few years ago and it really does seem to affect the brain especially in younger people which makes sense and also heavy users really do change in their speaking to that slow ‘stoned’ manner.
Just my take anyway.

Not smoked it for years and never often anyway. It didn't do anything for me, I'd just zone out, become really aloof and it would kill me off for the rest of the night.

Plus there's certain types of weed smokers that are really preachy and annoying which puts me off as well.

I've never tried it. The smell alone puts me off, it makes me physically recoil when I'm near someone who's smoked a joint it makes me gag. I'm also surprised the amount of cars that drive past and smell of weed coming from them.

Two people got on the bus tonight and absolutely stunk of it 🤢 everyone was turning their heads in disgust to see who smelt rancid.
Do they not realise they reek of it?
I don't think they do.
Same as people who smoke normal cigarettes don't realise they stink of it.
I used to go to my Dad's where he'd smoke and not smell it at all, as soon as I got home, I'd be able to smell it on clothes so strong.

I don't think weed is worse than alcohol and it can have some positives too. If we imagine that alcohol is illegal, if we had to make one drug legal, i don't think it would be alcohol we'd be legalising, knowing what we know about it. Weed generally seems less harmful but it's not for everyone. It's definitely not for me, I used to smoke, but not anymore.

Not smoked it for years and never often anyway. It didn't do anything for me, I'd just zone out, become really aloof and it would kill me off for the rest of the night.

Plus there's certain types of weed smokers that are really preachy and annoying which puts me off as well.
This is also how I feel with it, just become quite antisocial. I'm a bit like that anyway, so it seems to just exacerbate it.