Would you choose money and a comfortable life or struggling for a few years for a career?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I work as a legal secretary whilst I am studying my law degree. My degree is part time so I am in my fourth year of six. I am 25, so I am doing my degree later than most of my friends, I wasn't in the right headspace to attend a brick uni at 18 so I decided not to go.

I am on quite a low wage in my current job (£17,500). My other half and I are currently buying a house but money is definitely going to be extremely tight. He is self employed so income varies month to month. I can see a huge benefit to working in the legal sector whilst I study, hopefully my current firm will be able to offer me some form of training contract on completion of my degree. However, the wage is low. I took a pay cut to come here (I was extremely unhappy in my old job and saw this job in the legal sector as a massive opportunity) however I am definitely missing the extra money!

I've been offered an interview for a non-legal firm just as a general admin assistant which pays £21,500. I'm really stuck on what to do. I can't decide whether I'm best to just stick where I am, and potentially struggle for a few years in the hope that I get a training contract in which case I'll see a pay rise, or work elsewhere whilst I finish my degree and be able to earn more and live more comfortably. Then hope that when I complete my degree I'm able to get back into the legal sector based off of previous experience.

I know I've got a great opportunity where I am currently however I am worried about money. Obviously I'll soon have a house and other bills to pay for, and I hope to have children at some point in the near future which inevitably costs! Just looking for some opinions on what you'd do?

Reactions: 1
Could you get an extra job as side income? At the minute I am working for a law firm whilst I finish my degree but I don't get paid so I have to work alongside, usually in the evenings and weekends. I can't offer much advice on part-time study, but does your course include the LPC or do you have to do it and pay for it separately? I'm assuming you want to be solicitor, sorry if I'm wrong!
Legal jobs in that sector are very hard to come by so I would honestly stay there, but if finances are too tight and you really are struggling, take the higher paid job. In interviews in the future you can always tell them the mitigating factors behind that choice and it shouldn't go against you in theory.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's not possible to take on extra work. I work full time Mon - Fri at the law firm. My degree is done outside of work, and swallows up most of my evenings and weekends and to be honest, I'm still drowning. I'm about 2-3 weeks behind and have an assignment due next week which I haven't yet been able to start!

My course does not include the LPC, that would have to be funded separately. Obviously if I had a training contract then the employer would fund it. I do hope to be a solicitor. I am paying for my degree with a student loan.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's not possible to take on extra work. I work full time Mon - Fri at the law firm. My degree is done outside of work, and swallows up most of my evenings and weekends and to be honest, I'm still drowning. I'm about 2-3 weeks behind and have an assignment due next week which I haven't yet been able to start!

My course does not include the LPC, that would have to be funded separately. Obviously if I had a training contract then the employer would fund it. I do hope to be a solicitor. I am paying for my degree with a student loan.
It's so difficult to manage and I can bet your course is very content heavy also. I'm so sorry that you're having to make such a big decision.

If I were you, I would stay where you are at least into the new year. You should be coming up to your final year then if I'm reading right? Scope around for training contracts, just be aware a lot of them require you to already have the LPC as they are reluctant to fund it themselves. If you can land one to go into (they usually start every academic year) and they allow you to either study the LPC part-time (loads of firms allow this) or fund it for you, you'll be sorted! Applications for training contracts in two years usually open around now. It's definitely worth looking at that, you sound like you have a lot of experience so that will definitely be a strength for you.

• Heart
I would stick where you are, you won’t be on 17.5k forever... monthly, how much better are you really going to be off? I imagine after taxes it won’t be that different! It does suck to not have much money but you need to work out which job has chance of more progression perhaps. Good luck whatever you choose to do!

• Heart
I would stick where you are, is it about £200-£300 extra a month you’d take home with the pay increase? I think I’d just stick at it for now and try to make a tight budget and find other ways to earn some extra money.

• Heart
What is your current work place like? Are there many staff who have been in similar entry position to you and been offered a training contract? Also have a lot of staff stayed at the company a reasonable time and been able to progress during this time?