Worried about my dad

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok so I know that no one can really give me an answer but I just wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar position.

My dad who is 60 and overweight has been experiencing some arm and shoulder pain (aching) for the past couple of months. After a month he went to the GP who gave him amitriptyline to help with the pain. That didn’t work and he felt the pain was spreading to his chest as a tightening sensation so he went back. They asked him to have a blood test and x-ray but in the meantime gave him angina spray. He had the blood test the following day and the x-ray the day after (this morning). The GP has just rung the house asking him to make two follow up appointments. How worried should we be?

I’d probably say not overly worried. If it was something urgent they’d have asked to go to hospital immediately, I imagine. My grandad had a similar thing with his blood tests and when we went back for his appointment they explained that one of his readings meant they needed to change his medication. Hopefully your Dad’ll be all sorted soon.

Reactions: 2
Hope your dad is OK - it sounds like your GP is on the ball and doing the best for him they can to find out the cause. I agree that if it was terribly urgent they would want him in sooner so fingers crossed. Obviously I have no idea but it could be something like a trapped nerve? It is a worrying time I know, when you don't know what is going on but hopefully you'll get a reassuring explanation soon.
Only other advice is don't start googling things! I've diagnosed myself with awful things before now doing that.

Thank you, I have calmed down a bit now 😅 he has an appt Monday with the chest pain clinic so I think it might be angina

Did he have an ECG? Our local hospital has a rapid access chest clinic - is it one of those?

Reactions: 1
If it was life threatening he’d have been admitted to hospital straight away. At least the appointment is Monday. If you have concerns over weekend ring nhs direct or out of hours dr.

Perhaps the blood tests show high cholesterol so they want to sort it out sooner rather than later. Prevention is better than cure.
Good news that the ECG was clear.
If it was serious they would have instructed him to go to A&E immediately or even arranged an ambulance.
Good for him that he had the foresight to go to the GP about his chest pain. Sadly a lot of men prefer to bury their head in the sand.
I hope you're okay. I worry about my dad too. Hugs x

Thank you, I have calmed down a bit now 😅 he has an appt Monday with the chest pain clinic so I think it might be angina
My Mum got diagnosed with angina in her early 60's but the pain is normally felt in the jaw as well. Does he have any jaw pain? Also you don't get the pain at rest. Does he only get the pain when walking?

If they were concerned they would have asked him to go straight to A&E. Try not to worry.

I'm glad your gp is being proactive in finding out the cause rather than treating the symptoms so I would be comforted in knowing he's in good hands.

As others have said, if it was anything really urgent or worrisome your dad's GP would have arranged for him to be admitted to hospital. Try not to worry and best of luck to you and your dad.

Reactions: 1
I’d probably say not overly worried. If it was something urgent they’d have asked to go to hospital immediately, I imagine. My grandad had a similar thing with his blood tests and when we went back for his appointment they explained that one of his readings meant they needed to change his medication. Hopefully your Dad’ll be all sorted soon.
Couldn't have said it better :)

Likely they will also send him, given his age, for a routine angiogram or an ultrasound on the arteries.

Last edited: