White House Farm murders

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone watched the 6 part series on ITV originally but also on Britbox currently on a free trial?
I remember these murders which was back when I was a teen, today I binge watched the series and have now got the book on my kindle.
I do think J Bamber was guilty. I can accept that horrible people can be victims, but Bamber never felt " real" if you know what I mean?
Would love to hear what anyone thinks?

Reactions: 7
I recorded it but still not watched it yet. I read it's very slow and Shelia Caffell's ex-husband was heavily involved in making it so I don't think it would be very balanced. What did you think of it?

As for Bamber, my response is always the same. I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent but I do think his conviction is unsafe for many reasons. Personally, I think his whole life term should be quashed and he should be released on time served. But that will never happen. Imagine how much they'd have to pay him in compensation?

Reactions: 2
I watched it... I’m not sure how true to life it was but I couldn’t believe how the police acted! That chief inspector was an idiot and really bugged me!
I think based on the series that Jeremy is guilty but as I said I don’t know how accurate it is or if it looks that way coz of the ex husband being involved in making it

Reactions: 5
We binge watched this recently and purely going by the series I would say he is outright guilty. Before I watched it I was unsure. As Gilly said above, we don't know how accurate the portrayal is.

Reactions: 3
Im sure there’s a thread on this here somewhere. But yes I watched and ‘enjoyed’ it. I remember the original case very well and I believe Bamber is guilty as hell. Not sure if you’ve reached the last episode yet but the footage from final few moments chilled me to the bone.

I haven't watched the series yet, but I recently listened to Generation Why's podcast.
I agree with you, and think Jeremy Bamber was guilty. There wasn't really any other credible suspect in my opinion.
Will be interested to see how the family are all portrayed in the series. I've been delaying watching it because I keep reading how off-putting Stephen Graham's Welsh accent is 😂

I haven't watched the series yet, but I recently listened to Generation Why's podcast.
I agree with you, and think Jeremy Bamber was guilty. There wasn't really any other credible suspect in my opinion.
Will be interested to see how the family are all portrayed in the series. I've been delaying watching it because I keep reading how off-putting Stephen Graham's Welsh accent is 😂
It was awful!! I really didn’t like that character anyway but the accent just made him worse!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I recorded it but still not watched it yet. I read it's very slow and Shelia Caffell's ex-husband was heavily involved in making it so I don't think it would be very balanced. What did you think of it?

As for Bamber, my response is always the same. I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent but I do think his conviction is unsafe for many reasons. Personally, I think his whole life term should be quashed and he should be released on time served. But that will never happen. Imagine how much they'd have to pay him in compensation?
It was mind numbingly slow. I gave up after 3 episodes. I just couldn't watch it.
I've read and watched a lot (documentations) about the case over the years. I don't know if he's innocent, but I'm not so sure that he's guilty either.

I agree that his life sentence should be quashed and he should be released.
IF he did kill his family and financial gain was his motive (as was suggested) then he's not a danger to the public.

Reactions: 3
I enjoyed the series and hadnt heard of the case before.

I think he was guilty because there were no other suspects but the final scene with Julie (wont say anymore in case it spoils it) made me wonder if she was involved too or even whether she would have said anything if he hadnt have dumped her.

Reactions: 2
Despite being a bit slow to start I thought the series was good.
I think JB's a manipulative narcissist... and a murderer.

Reactions: 6
I've watched a bit of it.

I think it's possible that both the police messed up and that Bamber was guilty. Anecdotally, I know the general feeling from people who live in the area where the crime was committed is that he did it - although obviously you can't charge someone with a crime based on "feelings".

I believe anyone who is capable of orchestrating and/or committing a crime like that is absolutely a danger to the public. Two little boys shot to death in their beds.. I remember the news stories at the time and I'll never forget that.

I watched the show, was pretty decent. I think he is definitely guilty. However the only downfall they had was Stephen Graham. I like him as an actor, but his Welsh accent was SHOCKING. It was just a weird mix of Scouse and Welsh.

• Haha
Has anyone watched the 6 part series on ITV originally but also on Britbox currently on a free trial?
I remember these murders which was back when I was a teen, today I binge watched the series and have now got the book on my kindle.
I do think J Bamber was guilty. I can accept that horrible people can be victims, but Bamber never felt " real" if you know what I mean?
I thought it was really well cast but was too dragged out. They could have done it in 3 episodes.
From watching the series I would say Jeremy Bamber is guilty. Apparently there are loads of people who write him letters and really like him and think he should be released.

Reactions: 1
i watched it when it was in ITV. Like you i remember the murders being in the papers when i was a kid..it got a lot of coverage in all the papers..especially the tabloids!

i thought it was really good..it is very slow but i think this makes it easier to get everything thats going on in the story. You kind of get everyones side of events.

to say Essex police messed up would be an understatement ...as you watch it you just cant believe some of the stuff they did or didnt do.

if he hadnt dumped Julie i wonder if there would have been enough to convict him (Hell have no fury like a woman scorned).
i do think he's guilty too but the relatives especially his cousin dont come out of it looking to rosy either.

Reactions: 5
It was mind numbingly slow. I gave up after 3 episodes. I just couldn't watch it.
I've read and watched a lot (documentations) about the case over the years. I don't know if he's innocent, but I'm not so sure that he's guilty either.

I agree that his life sentence should be quashed and he should be released.
IF he did kill his family and financial gain was his motive (as was suggested) then he's not a danger to the public.
Bamber was convicted on a 10-2 majority. So that's two people out of twelve who heard all the evidence and weren't convinced of his guilt.

I have no issue with majority verdicts - I know in the USA, guilty verdicts for murder have to be unanimous* which is why there are so many mistrials - but personally, I don't think a 10-2 majority verdict is overwhelming enough to support awarding a whole life order.

This article makes interesting reading....

*now in all states

It's not - I just checked.

Opening post says it's on Britbox. Otherwise, I'm sure it will be on ITV3 very soon!
ive got brit box..i think you can get a free trial of it..you either need a smart TV or a chromecast to use it xx

its got loads of other old bbc and ITV shows on it.

Reactions: 1