Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kikini Bamalam

VIP Member
Has anyone watched the 6 part series on ITV originally but also on Britbox currently on a free trial?
I remember these murders which was back when I was a teen, today I binge watched the series and have now got the book on my kindle.
I do think J Bamber was guilty. I can accept that horrible people can be victims, but Bamber never felt " real" if you know what I mean?
Would love to hear what anyone thinks?

Reactions: 7

magnolious

I watched the show, was pretty decent. I think he is definitely guilty. However the only downfall they had was Stephen Graham. I like him as an actor, but his Welsh accent was SHOCKING. It was just a weird mix of Scouse and Welsh.

• Haha

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
I've watched a bit of it.

I think it's possible that both the police messed up and that Bamber was guilty. Anecdotally, I know the general feeling from people who live in the area where the crime was committed is that he did it - although obviously you can't charge someone with a crime based on "feelings".

I believe anyone who is capable of orchestrating and/or committing a crime like that is absolutely a danger to the public. Two little boys shot to death in their beds.. I remember the news stories at the time and I'll never forget that.

Vera Stanhope

Chatty Member
Despite being a bit slow to start I thought the series was good.
I think JB's a manipulative narcissist... and a murderer.

Reactions: 6

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
Has anyone watched the 6 part series on ITV originally but also on Britbox currently on a free trial?
I remember these murders which was back when I was a teen, today I binge watched the series and have now got the book on my kindle.
I do think J Bamber was guilty. I can accept that horrible people can be victims, but Bamber never felt " real" if you know what I mean?
Would love to hear what anyone thinks?
i watched it when it was in ITV. Like you i remember the murders being in the papers when i was a kid..it got a lot of coverage in all the papers..especially the tabloids!

i thought it was really good..it is very slow but i think this makes it easier to get everything thats going on in the story. You kind of get everyones side of events.

to say Essex police messed up would be an understatement ...as you watch it you just cant believe some of the stuff they did or didnt do.

if he hadnt dumped Julie i wonder if there would have been enough to convict him (Hell have no fury like a woman scorned).
i do think he's guilty too but the relatives especially his cousin dont come out of it looking to rosy either.

Reactions: 5

Gillybean42

VIP Member
I watched it... I’m not sure how true to life it was but I couldn’t believe how the police acted! That chief inspector was an idiot and really bugged me!
I think based on the series that Jeremy is guilty but as I said I don’t know how accurate it is or if it looks that way coz of the ex husband being involved in making it

Droosie123

VIP Member
Despite being a bit slow to start I thought the series was good.
I think JB's a manipulative narcissist... and a murderer.
Yep....a true psychopath. I now people who have had dealings with him. He’s manipulative to the core.
I gather he’s done some good stuff in prison though such as translating books to Braille etc.

i am as certain as I can be that he is guilty.

Droosie123

VIP Member
I think he's guilty.

Sheila definitely didn't do it.

Whoever killed the family fought with Neville and would have had injuries. Sheila had no injuries beyond the gunshot wounds which killed her. Her fingernails were also intact in the mortuary with unblemished nail polish. No gun oil or gunshot residue either. Definitely not the hands of someone who had fired 25 shots and reloaded the gun.

Whether Jeeemy actually did it or whether he paid someone else to do it is up for debate.

Because Jeremy set up the narrative he did, it could only have been Sheila who killed the family or Jeremy (or someone paid by Jeremy).

Ironically if he'd just stayed at home in bed he'd still be free.

Gillybean42

VIP Member
I haven't watched the series yet, but I recently listened to Generation Why's podcast.
I agree with you, and think Jeremy Bamber was guilty. There wasn't really any other credible suspect in my opinion.
Will be interested to see how the family are all portrayed in the series. I've been delaying watching it because I keep reading how off-putting Stephen Graham's Welsh accent is 😂
It was awful!! I really didn’t like that character anyway but the accent just made him worse!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4

lipschitz

There’s a decent Louis Theroux produced documentary on this on sky catch up, the bambers: murder at the farm. It’s 4 parts.

Reactions: 4

LadyMuck

VIP Member
There’s a decent Louis Theroux produced documentary on this on sky catch up, the bambers: murder at the farm. It’s 4 parts.
Watched the first 3 episodes last night. Was good to see and hear from the actual people there at the time, the cops, press, Secretary, family etc

Reactions: 3

Seaghweld

Great series. Perhaps not as snappy as others, but then, it's depicting an actual case and I guess they were sticking to the series of events rather than manipulating them to make a fast-paced tv show.

I know an ex-prison guard who knew Bamber well inside and he says he is totally guilty, based on what he knows about murderers and psychopaths etc after years of getting to know how they behave.

However, after this, and after watching many documentaries over the years I'm always left with the feeling his conviction rests on a lot of circumstantial evidence, but nay actual concrete evidence. If the case happened today there'd be better DNA evidence and much better police investigating, but if it happened today I don't reckon he'd be convicted if that was all the evidence they had.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I recorded it but still not watched it yet. I read it's very slow and Shelia Caffell's ex-husband was heavily involved in making it so I don't think it would be very balanced. What did you think of it?

As for Bamber, my response is always the same. I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent but I do think his conviction is unsafe for many reasons. Personally, I think his whole life term should be quashed and he should be released on time served. But that will never happen. Imagine how much they'd have to pay him in compensation?
It was mind numbingly slow. I gave up after 3 episodes. I just couldn't watch it.
I've read and watched a lot (documentations) about the case over the years. I don't know if he's innocent, but I'm not so sure that he's guilty either.

I agree that his life sentence should be quashed and he should be released.
IF he did kill his family and financial gain was his motive (as was suggested) then he's not a danger to the public.

fannysjohnny

VIP Member
im interested..the case has always intrigued me!
I liked the series as i found the slowless let you take in all the info , rather than the usual fast pace of dramatisations which bounce all over the place.
Is there still a lot of talk about it locally to you ?
Yes,you can normally find someone in a pub who knows something or someone involved.
I used to see Anne Eaton and her daughter about quite regularly but not since the program aired.

I'm still interested! What do you and your friends think?
We still have some heated discussions about it!!
I think he did it but with at least one accomplise.
I'm pretty sure it was in the drama that when Bamber was outside with the police waiting for backup one of the them saw somebody at a window.
Certain members of the family were disgruntled over finances and they particularly wanted to reclaim a property called Vaulty Manor (Wedding venue now). It was bought back by them in fairly recent times and is run by 'Janie' who is the little girl featured in the drama but her name had been changed.

Last edited:

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
Yes,you can normally find someone in a pub who knows something or someone involved.
I used to see Anne Eaton and her daughter about quite regularly but not since the program aired.

We still have some heated discussions about it!!
I think he did it but with at least one accomplise.
I'm pretty sure it was in the drama that when Bamber was outside with the police waiting for backup one of the them saw somebody at a window.
Certain members of the family were disgruntled over finances and they particularly wanted to reclaim a property called Vaulty Manor (Wedding venue now). It was bought back by them in fairly recent times and is run by 'Janie' who is the little girl featured in the drama but her name had been changed.
i dont think Ann Eaton came out of it looking to whiter than white either. she was very money orientated and came across quite nasty with her references to being a 'blood' relative with Jeremy and Sheila being adopted .

Orange Creme

VIP Member
I've only just found this thread-is anyone still interested?
I found the series very slow and lost interest fairly quickly,however,living close to the scene and having
vivid memories of what took place it opened up some debate between a few friends and myself.
I'm still interested! What do you and your friends think?

Fin

Chatty Member
We binge watched this recently and purely going by the series I would say he is outright guilty. Before I watched it I was unsure. As Gilly said above, we don't know how accurate the portrayal is.

Sven

VIP Member
I knew about this case before the show, and in my opinion he’s absolutely guilty. The man is a psychopath narcissist.

Reactions: 2

Be More Pacific

VIP Member
I recorded it but still not watched it yet. I read it's very slow and Shelia Caffell's ex-husband was heavily involved in making it so I don't think it would be very balanced. What did you think of it?

As for Bamber, my response is always the same. I can't say whether he's guilty or innocent but I do think his conviction is unsafe for many reasons. Personally, I think his whole life term should be quashed and he should be released on time served. But that will never happen. Imagine how much they'd have to pay him in compensation?

Reactions: 2