Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The articles about a week old baby was found wrapped in a towel, in a box and partially buried in mulch. This was over 10 years ago. They later named that baby Bridget, but they never found the mother. The gardener found the body.

I was still in school back then, and I was heading back home from school that day when the body was found. On my way, I noticed a lot of police cars around that area, and I just knew something bad had happened. One or two, I don't really think it's a big deal, but more usually means something bigger. I didn't live close to school, so I was just walking to catch the train, but I was familiar with those unit blocks where they found the body. You can see them and part of the walkway between the blocks from the trains. Years prior, it was prospective real estate that my parents viewed. One of my friends lived in one of the units too.

I'm not really sure why it stuck, but it's probably because it's about a baby who hadn't lived at all. Always makes me feel sad when I see those unit blocks from the train.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
What an interesting read. Wow. Something that stuck with me, as it did with everyone, was Madeline Mccann. I'm 3 years older than her and when it happened, I remember just thinking and trying to understand how anybody could just take someone like that. I was terrified of even going to Tesco.

Fred and Rose West
Mira Hindley and Ian Brady
Jonbenet Ramsey too. I always wondered if her family were involved in her murder

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I was the kind of kid that would obsessively pore over the deep dive-type magazines of the age such as the Reader's Digest and the Sunday Times magazine.

They used to have much juicier stories than you get now. Stuff like children who were supposedly raised by animals and the twin boys Johnny and Luther Htoo who led a guerilla splinter cell in Burma. (Who else remembers this iconic photo? It takes me waaaay back.)
View attachment 1143501

There was one that obsessed me the most: this little girl who was known by the psuedonym Genie. Her parents abused her and kept her in a locked room, mostly tied to a potty. She became a study case for scientests because due to the lack of human contact she experienced she never learned to speak.

Her story is tragic but fascinating. It's well worth learning about. You can read more about her here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)
oh god I came here literally to post that about Genie, I teach English as a foreign language so there are lots of articles citing this as an example of the window needed to learn. That whole case is just beyond horrific

Reactions: 3
I always remember a local news story close to where I live, not sure if it made national news or not. It was around 2013/14 if I remember rightly.
A guy (who I think was a traveller, or at least connected in some way to travellers), was found distressed in the early hours of a morning walking along the a66 in Middlesbrough. He was looking for his penis which had been cut off in an attack (I heard rumours that it was a revenge attack for sleeping with another traveller’s girlfriend but I don’t know how true that part was).
I can’t remember if anyone was caught and charged for it, I’m sure he died a short while later.
The story has always stuck in my mind just because of how bizarre the headline sounded at the time, and how absolutely horrific and life changing the injuries were.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I always remember a local news story close to where I live, not sure if it made national news or not. It was around 2013/14 if I remember rightly.
A guy (who I think was a traveller, or at least connected in some way to travellers), was found distressed in the early hours of a morning walking along the a66 in Middlesbrough. He was looking for his penis which had been cut off in an attack (I heard rumours that it was a revenge attack for sleeping with another traveller’s girlfriend but I don’t know how true that part was).
I can’t remember if anyone was caught and charged for it, I’m sure he died a short while later.
The story has always stuck in my mind just because of how bizarre the headline sounded at the time, and how absolutely horrific and life changing the injuries were.
I remember this too. I think his name was Kelvin. He killed himself - poor sod. The Evening Gazette have blood on their hands reporting such personal info about him.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I remember this too. I think his name was Kelvin. He killed himself - poor sod. The Evening Gazette have blood on their hands reporting such personal info about him.
100%
I thought that was the case but I wasn’t sure so didn’t like to say.

Reactions: 2
It came out that he did it himself.

Still terrible though!

• Wow
  • Wow
i was just going to say the same! He sounded a bit unstable and bizarrely died in a situation where he was in a ligature and covered in blue paint?!
Very odd. I only found out that he had since died when it came up at work and I googled him. I think he had deep seated issues.

I’ve just been reading about a 14 year old that fell from a ride in Orlando, Florida on Thursday night. He knew he wasn’t secure, he must have been so scared 😭

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I’ve just been reading about a 14 year old that fell from a ride in Orlando, Florida on Thursday night. He knew he wasn’t secure, he must have been so scared 😭
Absolutely awful 😣. Can’t even begin to imagine. Makes no sense how something so preventable could happen.

This was local to me too, I hadn't realised he'd died a year later 🙁

• Sad
i was just going to say the same! He sounded a bit unstable and bizarrely died in a situation where he was in a ligature and covered in blue paint?!
Oh my giddy aunt - I didn't know this! I stopped reading the rag that is the Gazette around the same time, so that's probably why I didn't know. Poor bloke.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.