Which antidepressant doesn’t cause sweating as a side effect?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all!
I’m having real trouble trying to find an antidepressant that doesn’t cause sweating. My doctor has recommended escitalopram but the top side effects include sweating! To be fair she is a doctor who when I said I was feeling suicidal she replied with ‘well we’ve tried everything and nothing else much can be done’ so I’m doing a bit more research outside her suggestion.
One antidepressant I’ve read that doesn’t cause sweating is fluvoxamine, has anyone tried that? I’ve also read that off label oxybutynin can be used to treat sweating combined with an antidepressant but I don’t know much about this drug.
Any advice would be of great help!

It's tricky to answer because what makes one person sweat might be fine for you, and vice versa ... you'd have to give them a go and I was told that you have to allow at least six weeks for the medication to work.

Depending on where the sweating is ... e.g., if it's underarms, would you perhaps consider botox? That works very well with sweating.

Reactions: 1
It's tricky to answer because what makes one person sweat might be fine for you, and vice versa ... you'd have to give them a go and I was told that you have to allow at least six weeks for the medication to work.

Depending on where the sweating is ... e.g., if it's underarms, would you perhaps consider botox? That works very well with sweating.
Botox may be the answer. I get it mainly in my head, it’s so embarrassing. I’ve tried the special antiperspirant and it STUNG. So itchy.

Hello all!
I’m having real trouble trying to find an antidepressant that doesn’t cause sweating. My doctor has recommended escitalopram but the top side effects include sweating! To be fair she is a doctor who when I said I was feeling suicidal she replied with ‘well we’ve tried everything and nothing else much can be done’ so I’m doing a bit more research outside her suggestion.
One antidepressant I’ve read that doesn’t cause sweating is fluvoxamine, has anyone tried that? I’ve also read that off label oxybutynin can be used to treat sweating combined with an antidepressant but I don’t know much about this drug.
Any advice would be of great help!
It's really hard to say. Even if you've been on one before, the side effects can be different second time round. My partner was on Duloxetine a few years ago, but had to stop taking it due to the sweating. It was the best one he had tried for his mental health, but he just couldn't cope with the excess sweating. He tried other anti-depressants after that, but none of them helped him as much as the Duloxetine did, so he went back on them a few months ago. This time...no sweating whatsoever 🤷🏼‍♀️

I've been on quite a few different ones over the years, and I've never really noticed any major sweating. The only one that has ever really helped me is Venlafaxine, but it gives me permanently dilated pupils, making me very self-conscious when talking to people. It's hard enough being on antidepressants, without the added bonus of external side effects that are noticeable to other people, so I empathise. I hope you manage to find one that works well for you.

• Heart
I’ve taken a few over the years and don’t remember any of them causing sweating as a side effect, but it could be that different drugs trigger different reactions.

At the moment I take Amitriptylene and it definitely doesn’t make me sweat

When I started Sertraline the sweating was ridiculous but it’s calmed down now after being on them for 3 months.

Might be the colder weather helping too but 🤷‍♀️

Both sertraline and fluoxetine made me sweaty. Tbh I find most ssri's have the same side effects for me.

Hi there
I’m a mental health pharmacist and I can say that this is a problem.
We had a patient who had an awful problem with sweating and hyper salivation on every one he took. Effexor was the one that worked. Now it had to be the branded one. . Once we tried him on the generic it all kicked off again

Reactions: 3
Hi there
I’m a mental health pharmacist and I can say that this is a problem.
We had a patient who had an awful problem with sweating and hyper salivation on every one he took. Effexor was the one that worked. Now it had to be the branded one. . Once we tried him on the generic it all kicked off again
I’m on Vensir XL, I don’t think my GP would change me over to Effexor, she isn’t very helpful with these sort of things. I’m actually thinking my best option would be to come off antidepressants altogether.

I’m on Vensir XL, I don’t think my GP would change me over to Effexor, she isn’t very helpful with these sort of things. I’m actually thinking my best option would be to come off antidepressants altogether.
Ah I’m sorry to hear that. Is getting a new GP an option. I’m in Ireland so I’m not sure how things work for you

Ah I’m sorry to hear that. Is getting a new GP an option. I’m in Ireland so I’m not sure how things work for you
I think it’s something to look into in the new year. There’s several in the surgery but it’s trying to get an appointment, they are like gold dust, even the phone ones!

Slightly not the answer you were looking for but if you were using driclor, make sure you aren’t using it closer than a couple hours to shaving. that helps w the stinging. Maybe you’ve tried that already

I also found on top of using a normal antiperspirant, using a dusting powder helps. I like the silky underwear one by Lush. I am so ridiculously sweaty most of the time (ie more sweat with a normal antiperspirant than a normal person would get without) and that combo stops me getting sweat marks. I’ve not tried it on my head but 100% recommend anywhere else

I can’t recommend better antidepressants, sorry!:(