Where were you when? Memories from important historical events.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you remember where you were when important events in history went down?

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
When the Berlin Wall came down?
when take that broke up?

Reactions: 1
Berlin Wall is the first major historical event that I can remember properly. I was 9 at the time and I remember watching it on TV and watching people climbing up and over the wall.

Reactions: 3
Berlin Wall is the first major historical event that I can remember properly. I was 9 at the time and I remember watching it on TV and watching people climbing up and over the wall.
I was the exact same age at this time and I remember this image.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
9/11 - I was at my ex-boyfriend's parents house getting ready to go and see Hear'Say in London somewhere 🙈

Diana's death - I was asleep. When I came downstairs in the morning, the news was on and my dad told me she'd "topped herself" 🙄

• Heart
  • Wow
9/11 - I had just got home from school and my mum was watching the breaking news

The others I either wasn't alive or only 5/6 years old

9/11 - on a break at my part time job at a supermarket.
Diana - mum woke me up at the crack of dawn to tell me in tears.
Berlin Wall - I was only 6 so don’t remember it
Take that split - I was on holiday in a caravan in Devon.

Princess Diana - I was 15 years when she died. I remember mum running downstairs at the crack of dawn saying that she died. I remember thinking to myself, ok so what the press going to down now as she was always in the news. My sister slept in the park the night before her funeral. I remember a girl in my class being really grotesque with how she died and I slapped her around the face. I also fell asleep watching her funeral.

9/11 - I was bunking off my 6th form class (I was having problems and I hated being there) and went shopping instead. I just thought it was plane crash as everyone was crowded outside watching the shopping mall TV screen. I was working at a garden centre and that evening it was dead. Not a single soul came into the shop. Mum explained to me that it was terrorists. That was my first inkling with terrorism.

Berlin Wall - I vaguely remember it. I vaguely watching a news report on it. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time.

Take That - I was in primary school and my friends wouldn't let me like them. They were bully. Didn't really think much of it. Did enjoy reading all the gossip in Smash Hits.

Geri leaving the Spice Girls - I was devastated and spent the entire day watching the news, waiting for an official statement to come out. I didn't do my homework and got detention.

I will think of others.

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
when take that broke up?
9/11- at hospital with a relative
Princess Diana- on holiday.
cant remember take that or berlin wall. :giggle:

9/11 coming home from school and seeing the news on TV with my family.

Diana-Woke up early to watch the weeks Teletubbies and got annoyed that it had been replaced by breaking news coverage 🙈

Take That I just remember a lot of girls crying 😂

• Heart

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
when take that broke up?
9/11, I was in secondary school and they called us all to the main hall and showed us on the tv in there what was happening. We were then sent home which was weird
Princess Diana- It was on the first day of second year of secondary school, it was on the radio and my dad thought I was taking the piss
The Berlin wall coming down...I can't remember
I also oddly can't remember take that breaking up but when Robbie left I remember one of my friends ran away from home

9/11 - on holiday in Devon. Walking past a TV shop and saw it on the TV.

Princess Diana’s death - on a night out and taxi driver told us. Got home and started watching it on TV and said how awful for her that Dodi had died. Eventually they said she was OK as she had walked from the car and just had a broken arm so went to bed. Woke up in the morning to see she had died.

when take that broke up - can't remember where I was but remember hearing that girls were killing themselves after hearing the news.

9/11, I was in secondary school and they called us all to the main hall and showed us on the tv in there what was happening. We were then sent home which was weird
Princess Diana- It was on the first day of second year of secondary school, it was on the radio and my dad thought I was taking the piss
The Berlin wall coming down...I can't remember
I also oddly can't remember take that breaking up but when Robbie left I remember one of my friends ran away from home
Princess Diana died on a Saturday night/Sunday morning so I doubt you were at school that day.

Reactions: 4
Diana - I must have been about 8 or 9, I remember waking up and my mum telling me she had died. I knew who she was but I don’t remember feeling particularly upset. We went swimming at a local leisure centre that day and the flag had been lowered - thats all I can remember really.

9/11 - I think I was year 8, I came home from school and my mum was watching sky news or some channel like that. She had watched the 2nd plane as it happened. I think we gradually found out it was terrorist related, I didn’t really know anything about terrorists at this point. They showed a picture of Osama and I remember thinking he looked really old and would probably be very easy to take out :LOL:.Kids at school terrified each other for months talking about nuclear attacks.

I remember finding out the Manchester arena bombing from a post on mumsnet as it was all happening, there was posters saying Hayley (i cant recall her name) from corrie had tweeted it was just balloons going off before it came on as breaking news on bbc. I think i was too young for real impact of 9/11 to hit me but the arena bombing and seeing all the victims faces really upset me. Particularly one girl from a remote Scottish island, i remember tearing up seeing her coffin making its way back to the island on a beach procession.

• Sad
Princess Diana died on a Saturday night/Sunday morning so I doubt you were at school that day.
Bloody hell that told me. I was 13 so it was a loooooong time ago and all I recall is it being all that was discussed in school for the day and was our first day back. Pardon my ignorance 😂😂

• Haha
9/11- came home from school to watch tv and the footage was showing on every channel.
Diana- I was only 5, but I remember seeing the news on tv in the morning and then going to get sweets later in the day (as a 5 year old that was probably the most important part of that day to me!)
I do remember when Michael Jackson died, I was making breakfast and my dad came and told me but said it in a tone of voice that I thought it was the start of a joke.
Too young to remember take that breaking up and not alive when the Berlin Wall came down.

The earliest one i remeber is 9/11.
I was in menorca with my mum, dad and sister. Would have 10. I remeber going into the pool bar and seeing it. Just thought it has been a plane crash. Didnt even know what a terrorist was.
Then I remeber my mum finding a pay phone ringing my gran. She has just started slimming world

London 7/7 bombings I would have been 13ish. We was on our way to Alton Towers on our school trip. Someone had just been sick on the bus.

Manchester bombings. We was in Menorca again. I just remeber taking my daughter into the pool. She was only tiny, she didnt need to see it.

So weird how the little details stick in your mind.

9/11 - I was walking home from school and my next door neighbour (my age) rushed out of his house to tell me that World War 3 was starting. So i went inside and turned the tv on. I remember sitting and watching it whilst i did my homework and not really having a clue what was going on. Think my mum had to explain it to me when she came home.

Princess Diana - i dont remember the day she died as I was fairly young but I remember my parents watching her funeral on the tv and my mum was sat on the coffee table which was not allowed so that was a big deal for me 😂

7/7 bombings - I was in secondary school and heard about it from someone there. Felt terrified as my dad used to work away from home a lot and I wasnt sure if he said he was going to London. So I frantically rung him but thankfully he wasnt in London

Manchester Arena bombings - think I heard about it on social media as it was happening. Was very upset as I grew up near there and have always been to concerts there. One of the girls who died went to university with someone I know and it made it more real if that makes sense.