When They See Us

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else watching this? I didn't know anything about the Central Park Five until I saw on the news last week about the despicable advert Trump ran in the 80s in regards to this. He has always been a piece of shite.

Anyway, I started watching this today and it is so heartbreaking. I am on episode two now.

Reactions: 2
Only watched one episode so far as it made me so angry. Will watch the rest but not a binge-watch one for me, I get too upset.

Reactions: 3
Had to watch in stages too. It’s one of the most harrowing things I’ve ever watched. But brilliant and so important to make their story heard. The injustice made me feel physically sick.

Reactions: 5
Agreed - I literally (ugly cried) sobbed throughout Korey's episode. Amazing acting; brutal 'story'. I was so enraged.

Reactions: 7
I am watching the 3rd episode and agree, not one to binge watch but in instalments.
I am just sat shaking my head at the injustice and finding it harrowing knowing that happened and was allowed to happen. Definitely recommend, I think it’s Netflix’s most popular to date...I can understand why.
I watched Seven Seconds and this as a program reminds me of watching that, also on Netflix.

Reactions: 4
Just saw this thread. It made me so angry. And Donald Trump. Is still saying there are guilty. Sorry if you vote Trump. I cannot fathom you a human.

Reactions: 5
I haven't watched it for a few weeks. I am on the last episode now, Korey's one and I think I might sob. It is so sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
So it was really really hard for me to watch.
I stopped watching the first episode after the harassment to Kevin.
I was too upset and angry.

4 days later, I told myself that I had to go on.
So I continued watching but I have read online that people shouldn’t watch it all at once.
So I decided to cut the series in half.
Second episode a little bit shocked and I cried.

What a mistake have I done to watch episode 3 and 4 in one night a day before school (I have two children in elementary school).
I didn’t sleep all night to finish the serie, I have never cried so much in my whole life, especially the 4th episode (korey’s sister,Connie island, the air con, and the assaults 😭 etc).
From the beginning until the end, I basically cried.

In the morning, for the first time of my life, I “woke up” with very very puffy eyes (I almost couldn’t open them).
My son told me “mummy you sure hadn't slept at night because your eyes are swollen”.
Oh God.
My children went to school ( by themselves), so I decided to have some sleep.
But the delivery man from Amazon knocked at the door.
I opened and he saw my face (😂),gave me the parcel, apologized and told me to go back to sleep 😂😂😂😂.
I was a mess,literally.

This serie hit me the very hard way.
I was a little bit upset after watching “13 reasons why” but this one, wow.

I,willingly, wanted watch in English (I’m french) because I read that korey has difficulties of speaking,so I wanted to heard by myself,oh boy in the court when we heard him answer to questions and becoming nervous and angry ....My heart broke.

I hope this was not too long for you to read and I hope you understood my stay-at-home mum English.

Last edited:
I really feel like every person should watch this. It’s meant to make you feel uncomfortable. It’s been such a tool for starting conversations on white privilege, institutional racism, the “justice” system, life after being incarcerated amongst many other topics.

The Oprah special (also on Netflix) is also worth a watch if you haven’t already, it had all the actors and the Exonerated 5. Antron is just broken (they all are in some way but some have moved forward more than others). Korey is just (as yusef puts it so perfectly) “a walking miracle”.

All the actors were brilliant at portraying such a harrowing story but Jharrel Jerome was stunning as Korey. He has a great acting future ahead of him.

Being mixed race and having mixed race children myself I just think we all need to be doing our bit to change the world. I will be watching this with my children as soon as they are old enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I really feel like every person should watch this. It’s meant to make you feel uncomfortable. It’s been such a tool for starting conversations on white privilege, institutional racism, the “justice” system, life after being incarcerated amongst many other topics.

The Oprah special (also on Netflix) is also worth a watch if you haven’t already, it had all the actors and the Exonerated 5. Antron is just broken (they all are in some way but some have moved forward more than others). Korey is just (as yusef puts it so perfectly) “a walking miracle”.

All the actors were brilliant at portraying such a harrowing story but Jharrel Jerome was stunning as Korey. He has a great acting future ahead of him.

Being mixed race and having mixed race children myself I just think we all need to be doing our bit to change the world. I will be watching this with my children as soon as they are old enough.
Yes I saw the Oprah special and Antron is really broken you can easily feel that, fortunately Raymond lives apparently near him and they see each other frequently, so that’s good.
Oh yes jharrel Jerome was incredible in the movie.

Yes I saw the Oprah special and Antron is really broken you can easily feel that, fortunately Raymond lives apparently near him and they see each other frequently, so that’s good.
Oh yes jharrel Jerome was incredible in the movie.
Yes it was great to see how he had his back on there.

Raymond replied to a message I sent him and was so lovely. Got one of his T-shirt’s on the way actually, so will be great to start conversations locally about the series/current issues esp since I live in a very white area.

Reactions: 2
Yes it was great to see how he had his back on there.

Raymond replied to a message I sent him and was so lovely. Got one of his T-shirt’s on the way actually, so will be great to start conversations locally about the series/current issues esp since I live in a very white area.
I always found Raymond being so kind,whether in the film or irl.
Oh my husband told me that he wanted to buy one t-shirt too.
Can you please give me website name,thank you .

Watched this at the weekend over two nights. The Korey episode was hard going. It breaks my heart that he had the hardest time of them all, and hadn't even been in Central Park the night it happened. Hell, he'd only went to the police station in support of his friend. Words just aren't enough, how they had the strength to come through I'll never know. I wouldn't be surprised if some, if not all, have mental health issues. Especially Korey, having spent so long in solitary. Just heart wrenching

• Sad
Watched this at the weekend over two nights. The Korey episode was hard going. It breaks my heart that he had the hardest time of them all, and hadn't even been in Central Park the night it happened. Hell, he'd only went to the police station in support of his friend. Words just aren't enough, how they had the strength to come through I'll never know. I wouldn't be surprised if some, if not all, have mental health issues. Especially Korey, having spent so long in solitary. Just heart wrenching
Did you watch the Oprah special also on Netflix? It’s heartbreaking. Antron is just broken, never forgave his Dad and his mother only died earlier this year before the series launched on Netflix I think.

I was as touched by this as everyone else says. Touched but also angered and frustrated. It’s the sign of the strength of the drama that despite thinking I knew the story it was still like a punch in the stomach to watch at parts.

Unbelievable how the injustice continued for so long - that they didn’t get compensation till 2014 due to deliberate delays from NY state. And that Trump still refuses to apologise for calling for the death of innocent children - (what they more or less were ) despite the real culprit not only admitting it but having DNA evidence.
Love that they couldn’t resist the scene slagging him off “his 15 minutes will be up soon” - and the eye rolls when he actually said he would like to live life as an educated black woman. Wtf?!

It’s something that the police officer head of sex crimes (forget her name , played by desperate housewives lady) was dropped by her publisher as a result of the series. Sure it’s way too little too late and more a PR move but it’s nice to think it might have made a change in some people’s opinions too.

Did you watch the Oprah special also on Netflix? It’s heartbreaking. Antron is just broken, never forgave his Dad and his mother only died earlier this year before the series launched on Netflix I think.
I didn't, I was trying to find it on Youtube but it didn't seem to be on there. Now I know it's on Netflix I'll make sure to watch it. My own dad passed away from lung cancer a few years ago and was in a similar state to his Dad towards the end. Personally I couldn't see my father in that state and not break and I found it hard to watch that bit and see him blank his Dad, but I totally get why he couldn't forgive him. It's just such a sad story all round. I guess the only saving grace (not that you could call it that, but I can't think of a better term) is that the parents all lived to see their kids get freedom. And thank God they got a decent sum of money to help them get on in life, watching them get turned away from jobs time after time must have been so frustrating for them.

• Sad
Sorry for the loss of your Dad ❤

There’s no good in this story besides the work they are doing now. Like the saying goes time is the only thing you can never get back.

I didn't, I was trying to find it on Youtube but it didn't seem to be on there. Now I know it's on Netflix I'll make sure to watch it. My own dad passed away from lung cancer a few years ago and was in a similar state to his Dad towards the end. Personally I couldn't see my father in that state and not break and I found it hard to watch that bit and see him blank his Dad, but I totally get why he couldn't forgive him. It's just such a sad story all round. I guess the only saving grace (not that you could call it that, but I can't think of a better term) is that the parents all lived to see their kids get freedom. And thank God they got a decent sum of money to help them get on in life, watching them get turned away from jobs time after time must have been so frustrating for them.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad ❤

There’s no good in this story besides the work they are doing now. Like the saying goes time is the only thing you can never get back.
Thank you, and so true. It shows the true strength of their characters that they have gone on to do good things both for themselves and in their communities rather than just take the money and hide (which they would have been fully entitled to do).

Reactions: 4
Thank you, and so true. It shows the true strength of their characters that they have gone on to do good things both for themselves and in their communities rather than just take the money and hide (which they would have been fully entitled to do).
Yes Korey, from what I’ve read, seems the most active of all despite (or perhaps because of ) being the victim of the most injustice. He’s got the charity for those in similar situations , which I’m sure is mentioned on the Oprah piece , I’ve not yet watched that. Also I read an article that said one of the actors who played him met him before they started filming and was quite nervous about taking on the role and responsibility. He said Korey put him at ease right away, was really warm and smiling and that he put his chain around his neck and said “now you’re Korey Wise.” I thought that was a really nice snapshot.