What’s your glow up secret?!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just got a late Christmas present.. a dyson air wrap for long hair. I didn’t want to love it, but oh my god. I did a bleach London reconstruction hair mask last night then blow dried with it, used the hot brush to smooth it then the curl attachments. My hair looks so much smoother without using a finishing product even. Damn you dyson!
I got an airwrap a couple of months ago and it is a life changing.

Reactions: 1
Tbh your height, weight, figure etc don't matter AT ALL. You want to glow up, focus on 3 things- hair, skin, smile. Find products that suit your skin and make it clear, get a good haircut or style that suits your face, and keep your teeth white/get braces if you want to. These 3 can actually transform your looks without losing weight or changing your wardrobe.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Tbh your height, weight, figure etc don't matter AT ALL. You want to glow up, focus on 3 things- hair, skin, smile. Find products that suit your skin and make it clear, get a good haircut or style that suits your face, and keep your teeth white/get braces if you want to. These 3 can actually transform your looks without losing weight or changing your wardrobe.
True, but the part get braces if you want to like they aint a few grand 😂😂😂

Reactions: 6
Thanks to this thread I bought a Dyson at 6am this morning in a sleepy haze 🤨 🧐 I can barely remember doing it 🤪 it’s coming tomorrow and I’m excited!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
i’m trying tanning water for the first time because of this thread! my fingers are crossed i don’t look like i’ve rolled in wotsits in the end.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
i’m trying tanning water for the first time because of this thread! my fingers are crossed i don’t look like i’ve rolled in wotsits in the end.
Report back! I’d like to try it to but can never be bothered doing fake tan haha so if it’s less hassle and a good result, I’d be all for it!

Reactions: 2
Anyone use a facial roller? Heard really good things but my skin never looks or feels any different afterwards.

Anyone use a facial roller? Heard really good things but my skin never looks or feels any different afterwards.
I put mine in the fridge and use it after a face mask. I like the sensation, have a look at the beyond skincare thread there’s some tips on how people use theirs 🙂

Maybe just focus on one area at a time? And perhaps book a session with a personal stylist who could help advise re clothes? Difficult I know at the moment but I’ve seen on Instagram stylists offering video appointments if that’s an option for you?
John Lewis have Personal Stylists offering free sessions. They help you look at your wardrobe and put styling sessions together. No obligation to buy. They send you the items they picked out and you like after via email and you can buy at your leisure!

I’ve been using a Gua Sha daily - a rose quartz tool you use over your face in a massage following skincare. It’s meant to stimulate drainage and de puff and accentuate your bone structure. I feel like I notice some difference but as someone in my early / near mid 30s I try to be regular with my skincare to make sure I don’t age too badly!
I cleanse, tone and moisturise daily with Liz Earle. Use sunscreen every day on my face - read this is the best way to stop sun damage and wrinkles even when it’s not sunny, those rays still get through!
At night I alternate between retinol cream and facial oil - using the retinol too often makes my skin dry out.
moisturise my body daily after a shower and every couple of days I stick some Isle of Paradise tanning drops in it.
I put cuticle oil on my nails every night before bed and lip balm.
wax my top lip once per month! Always feel better after that!
usually I have my brows waxed and tinted every 4 weeks. I’ve found the best brow girl and always feel I look ten times better after. I spent a long time growing them back in and getting them right.
After lockdown I plan to start having a lash lift and tint every 6 weeks. I’ve had a couple before for special occasions and feel they open up my eyes without mascara and as I’m getting older i definitely need emphasis as my eyelids start to droop 😒

one thing I struggle with is my hair. It’s ok. I have it coloured a very natural, almost my natural colour, brunette,which just lifts it as it’s getting duller as I get older. But I have so many snapped ends around the front of my face, and I can never blow dry it to get volume and lift! I’ve started using the Olaplex bond perfecter once a week in the hopes that repairs some of the damage. I put a light hair oil on my ends after washing, and use a volume spray before blow dry but still gets limp! I also suffer with quite oily Skin so by end of day 2 after a wash it’s starting to get greasy and flat ! I try not to wash every day though because I know it’s not great for your hair. I’d also love to be able to do a really good pony tail with some volume and bounce. Any tips appreciated !

Style wise - I stick to classic pieces and because I wear things that can be styled multiple ways with multiple items I get much more wear out of them and so can afford to spend more money on things as I’m not buying as much. Hi end high street is my go to. I use the wish list option on the John Lewis app to save items I love and then always check back for sales. I got a Reiss coat I saw in store that was £325 for £160 doing this and it makes me feel so classy and elegant.
I like brands like Whistles, Mint Velvet, Reiss, Banana Republic etc. I always feel at my best when I’m wearing a nice coat, well fitting jeans and clean white trainers day to day. I feel casual but well pit together. I’ve also learnt that I feel horrid on the days I don’t make at least some effort and it’s always the worst when you go out feeling scruffy or not your best and then you see someone looking great. So I try to remember that daily now!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
John Lewis have Personal Stylists offering free sessions. They help you look at your wardrobe and put styling sessions together. No obligation to buy. They send you the items they picked out and you like after via email and you can buy at your leisure!

I’ve been using a Gua Sha daily - a rose quartz tool you use over your face in a massage following skincare. It’s meant to stimulate drainage and de puff and accentuate your bone structure. I feel like I notice some difference but as someone in my early / near mid 30s I try to be regular with my skincare to make sure I don’t age too badly!
I cleanse, tone and moisturise daily with Liz Earle. Use sunscreen every day on my face - read this is the best way to stop sun damage and wrinkles even when it’s not sunny, those rays still get through!
At night I alternate between retinol cream and facial oil - using the retinol too often makes my skin dry out.
moisturise my body daily after a shower and every couple of days I stick some Isle of Paradise tanning drops in it.
I put cuticle oil on my nails every night before bed and lip balm.
wax my top lip once per month! Always feel better after that!
usually I have my brows waxed and tinted every 4 weeks. I’ve found the best brow girl and always feel I look ten times better after. I spent a long time growing them back in and getting them right.
After lockdown I plan to start having a lash lift and tint every 6 weeks. I’ve had a couple before for special occasions and feel they open up my eyes without mascara and as I’m getting older i definitely need emphasis as my eyelids start to droop 😒

one thing I struggle with is my hair. It’s ok. I have it coloured a very natural, almost my natural colour, brunette,which just lifts it as it’s getting duller as I get older. But I have so many snapped ends around the front of my face, and I can never blow dry it to get volume and lift! I’ve started using the Olaplex bond perfecter once a week in the hopes that repairs some of the damage. I put a light hair oil on my ends after washing, and use a volume spray before blow dry but still gets limp! I also suffer with quite oily Skin so by end of day 2 after a wash it’s starting to get greasy and flat ! I try not to wash every day though because I know it’s not great for your hair. I’d also love to be able to do a really good pony tail with some volume and bounce. Any tips appreciated !

Style wise - I stick to classic pieces and because I wear things that can be styled multiple ways with multiple items I get much more wear out of them and so can afford to spend more money on things as I’m not buying as much. Hi end high street is my go to. I use the wish list option on the John Lewis app to save items I love and then always check back for sales. I got a Reiss coat I saw in store that was £325 for £160 doing this and it makes me feel so classy and elegant.
I like brands like Whistles, Mint Velvet, Reiss, Banana Republic etc. I always feel at my best when I’m wearing a nice coat, well fitting jeans and clean white trainers day to day. I feel casual but well pit together. I’ve also learnt that I feel horrid on the days I don’t make at least some effort and it’s always the worst when you go out feeling scruffy or not your best and then you see someone looking great. So I try to remember that daily now!
Your style sounds similar to mine, can I ask what you wear in the summer? I always struggle with flowery, flowy dresses etc and don’t feel they suit me but struggle with more classic summer clothes that isn’t jeans! 🤨
Also what trainers do you wear? I always wear Converse but I’d like something different. I’ve been looking at Veja but read they are uncomfortable and take ages to break in which I can’t be bothered with.
Re the ponytail (not that I do it!) but if you curl/wave your hair and get some volume into it then put it up, that should give you a bouncy ponytail I think.

Your style sounds similar to mine, can I ask what you wear in the summer? I always struggle with flowery, flowy dresses etc and don’t feel they suit me but struggle with more classic summer clothes that isn’t jeans! 🤨
Also what trainers do you wear? I always wear Converse but I’d like something different. I’ve been looking at Veja but read they are uncomfortable and take ages to break in which I can’t be bothered with.
Re the ponytail (not that I do it!) but if you curl/wave your hair and get some volume into it then put it up, that should give you a bouncy ponytail I think.
Yes I find summer harder than the autumn / spring seasons when you can wear more jeans and combinations. I tend to wear dresses that are shirt style or more classic style without florals or fussy patterns. Although I would say I spend more time in jeans and nice summery tops and good quality leather sandals. Try browsing brands like Whistles who veer towards a classic overall branding and then their summer wear should help guide - even if you don’t buy from there it can help know what to look for. I also like loose well fitting trousers for summer like a linen style. H&M have some nice styles in at the moment I’ve seen!

I wear Vejas! I have the Campo in off white and I didn’t find them uncomfortable- the V10s which I also have - have a very high back and they do rub. Which means I can’t wear them if I’m going to be walking a lot 🤣 I also have Adidas Stan smiths with the navy blue back detail rather than the green as I found the navy went better with my wardrobe. I’ve just seen some New Balance 237 in a neutral colour that I like.

thanks for the tip. I do curl my hair when I have time. Mainly for occasions / when I’m going somewhere nice. I just struggle to get the full bouncy top of the hair if you know what I mean

Reactions: 1
Yes I find summer harder than the autumn / spring seasons when you can wear more jeans and combinations. I tend to wear dresses that are shirt style or more classic style without florals or fussy patterns. Although I would say I spend more time in jeans and nice summery tops and good quality leather sandals. Try browsing brands like Whistles who veer towards a classic overall branding and then their summer wear should help guide - even if you don’t buy from there it can help know what to look for. I also like loose well fitting trousers for summer like a linen style. H&M have some nice styles in at the moment I’ve seen!

I wear Vejas! I have the Campo in off white and I didn’t find them uncomfortable- the V10s which I also have - have a very high back and they do rub. Which means I can’t wear them if I’m going to be walking a lot 🤣 I also have Adidas Stan smiths with the navy blue back detail rather than the green as I found the navy went better with my wardrobe. I’ve just seen some New Balance 237 in a neutral colour that I like.

thanks for the tip. I do curl my hair when I have time. Mainly for occasions / when I’m going somewhere nice. I just struggle to get the full bouncy top of the hair if you know what I mean
Thanks for replying.
I tend to also wear jeans a lot in the summer but end up too hot and would like to have some dresses to just throw on. I’ll look at shirt dresses, think they’ll be a good style for my body shape 👍
Thanks for the recommendation re the Vejas, I’ll look at the Campos if they’re softer. I also have a pair of Stan Smiths and remember them taking ages to break in and can’t be arsed with that again 😂
Leather sandals also seem hard to come by these days, everything is vegan leather but I want good quality, real leather, especially sandals.
With your hair, you could do a little quiff at the front/top section and secure with Bobby pins to give your hair some lift and volume. I often do that and it means you can control how high it is too depending on the look you’re going for.
Thanks again for all your suggestions, you’ve been really helpful x

Ooh, I’ve also started using a Gua Sha - love it! I’ve also started doing a Face Gym full face sculpt too, hoping that will keep me looking young 😂
Also a fan of a lash lift and doing my nails ☺

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Thanks for replying.
I tend to also wear jeans a lot in the summer but end up too hot and would like to have some dresses to just throw on. I’ll look at shirt dresses, think they’ll be a good style for my body shape 👍
Thanks for the recommendation re the Vejas, I’ll look at the Campos if they’re softer. I also have a pair of Stan Smiths and remember them taking ages to break in and can’t be arsed with that again 😂
Leather sandals also seem hard to come by these days, everything is vegan leather but I want good quality, real leather, especially sandals.
With your hair, you could do a little quiff at the front/top section and secure with Bobby pins to give your hair some lift and volume. I often do that and it means you can control how high it is too depending on the look you’re going for.
Thanks again for all your suggestions, you’ve been really helpful x

Ooh, I’ve also started using a Gua Sha - love it! I’ve also started doing a Face Gym full face sculpt too, hoping that will keep me looking young 😂
Also a fan of a lash lift and doing my nails ☺
For good quality leather sandals try Ancient Greek. I really want their Thea Sandals in tan with the toe loop! X

• Heart
any suggestions for a GENTLE teeth whitening product? i’d like to lighten them a bit, i don’t want ross gellar teeth that glow in the dark and i don’t want to damage them with anything harsh. it knocks my confidence a little bit but nobody else notices but me lollllll