What would you look for in an online fitness/nutrition coach?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello lovely people!

This may come across as odd to post on here, but I actually value the opinions, feedback & thoughts from you all after haunting around these threads for a long while now.
I realise that it seems as though every man and his/her/their dog is an online coach at the moment, but alas my time has come to move into this space and I want to set myself up for a business that actually thrives and doesn't just use and abuse their clients.
I have been a PT/fitness instructor in gyms for 5 years, I have a degree in Exercise/Sports science (which allows me to cover the nutrition side of coaching as well) and I pretty much live and breathe fitness, so because of circumstances in my life right now, a transition over to online coaching it what suits me best. I also prefer to work with more intermediate/advanced lifters and have control to aspects of their lives beyond the time they spend with me within in a gym.

So this is where I need your help. What would you want to see in a coach. What services do you think they should provide and what would you enjoy/be most responsive to.

Completely open to ideas, questions, criticisms and comments, I'd be super keen to start a great conversation on this :)

Reactions: 1
Hello form the GeorgieFit thread 👋🏻 I think you need someone who knows their stuff and isn’t just a copy and paste coach as my coach calls them 😂 and someone who has experience of working on the gym floor/live classes or whatever. Not someone who sat a course and then goes straight into online.
I don’t think you need a meal plan but you need to educate people on what they’re eating and why. Don’t just give them a calorie goal that’s totally out the blue for them. You shouldn’t need a coach forever (she says in year 4 of having one 😐😂) you should become independent and know what you’re doing thanks to them

Reactions: 2
Hello lovely people!

This may come across as odd to post on here, but I actually value the opinions, feedback & thoughts from you all after haunting around these threads for a long while now.
I realise that it seems as though every man and his/her/their dog is an online coach at the moment, but alas my time has come to move into this space and I want to set myself up for a business that actually thrives and doesn't just use and abuse their clients.
I have been a PT/fitness instructor in gyms for 5 years, I have a degree in Exercise/Sports science (which allows me to cover the nutrition side of coaching as well) and I pretty much live and breathe fitness, so because of circumstances in my life right now, a transition over to online coaching it what suits me best. I also prefer to work with more intermediate/advanced lifters and have control to aspects of their lives beyond the time they spend with me within in a gym.

So this is where I need your help. What would you want to see in a coach. What services do you think they should provide and what would you enjoy/be most responsive to.

Completely open to ideas, questions, criticisms and comments, I'd be super keen to start a great conversation on this :)
I give my weekly feedback to my online coach over a video/voicenote and I get the same back! I definitely prefer it, just seems easier and I don’t mind waffling as much😂 we have a fb group as well where all the clients can talk to each other, ask questions/advice etc. Not really that much advice, but I’ve had a couple of online coaches before this and I feel like these are things which have helped to motivate me a bit more x

we have a fb group as well where all the clients can talk to each other, ask questions/advice etc

Yeah love a wee FB group especially if your clients have little to no chance of actually meeting up. Mainly cos I can chat absolute shite for scotland 😂😂😂

Hey! I’m an online coach & PT. unlike a lot of the “fitpros” everything I do is bespoke to my clients - their own training plan, nutritional goals, habit goals & every thing else. I give them video feedback each week so we can assess the week & implement changes.
My coach was the same kind of style as me and from a client perspective I enjoyed it; ultimately you get out what you put in and clients who don’t check in/ don’t do their plans etc won’t ever get the same quality of results as someone who asks questions, does what’s set but also feeds back & engages!

Reactions: 3
If you have someone who’s out of your depth I.E eating disorders or anything physical let them go to someone who’s trained in what’s best

Someone with a proper qualification! And a way of communicating that suits me.
I also would want someone who listens to me and what I need and want, rather than trying to shoehorn me into ‘their’ plan. I’d also be after proper feedback, rather than just ‘yeah you’re doing great’

I’ve used a couple of different online coaches, to varying degrees of success. I would prefer to pay more for someone who is going to help me and work with me and my goals, rather than someone who tries to make my goals and me fit to their plan.

I’ll be honest when it comes to a nutritionist I would only look at somebody who has the relevant qualifications ie a degree.
In regards to a PT, I look for somebody who I click with and that I’ve seen the results they’ve achieved for others before.

Hello form the GeorgieFit thread 👋🏻 I think you need someone who knows their stuff and isn’t just a copy and paste coach as my coach calls them 😂 and someone who has experience of working on the gym floor/live classes or whatever. Not someone who sat a course and then goes straight into online.
I don’t think you need a meal plan but you need to educate people on what they’re eating and why. Don’t just give them a calorie goal that’s totally out the blue for them. You shouldn’t need a coach forever (she says in year 4 of having one 😐😂) you should become independent and know what you’re doing thanks to them
Totally agree - as someone that worked SO hard at uni and in all of my PT jobs to get to a knowledge base I feel comfortable with, it absolutely blows my mind seeing some coaches out there that run a huge business but know absolutely nothing when it comes down to the actual functioning of the human body. I only wanted to go online when I felt I had had enough 'people' experience to do so, I could not imagine never having been a 1-1 PT before doing coaching, you wouldn't know what you're doing I swear!

Yes I am big on getting a really good idea of how people are eating day to day before we do any nutritional changes because if you just drastically change everything all at once it's too much for the human psyche to deal with and makes it far less sustainable (IMO).

I guess for me I really just wanted to educate my clients and make them feel like they're really learnt something about themselves and about living a healthy lifestyle before they move on and do it alone.

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it 🥰

I give my weekly feedback to my online coach over a video/voicenote and I get the same back! I definitely prefer it, just seems easier and I don’t mind waffling as much😂 we have a fb group as well where all the clients can talk to each other, ask questions/advice etc. Not really that much advice, but I’ve had a couple of online coaches before this and I feel like these are things which have helped to motivate me a bit more x
Yes that's the exact check in procedure I like to use! Video/phone/voice notes are honestly the best way. My plan is to get a FB group up and running when I get to 5 clients and then hopefully we can do some FB lives because that would be a lot of fun. It's all about building that community I think.
Thanks for your input :) xx

Hey! I’m an online coach & PT. unlike a lot of the “fitpros” everything I do is bespoke to my clients - their own training plan, nutritional goals, habit goals & every thing else. I give them video feedback each week so we can assess the week & implement changes.
My coach was the same kind of style as me and from a client perspective I enjoyed it; ultimately you get out what you put in and clients who don’t check in/ don’t do their plans etc won’t ever get the same quality of results as someone who asks questions, does what’s set but also feeds back & engages!
Yes, yes and yes! It's fantastic to see someone out there really focusing on the individual and that's exactly how I plan to go about things as well. It really has to be tailored to the client or else they just aren't getting a great benefit out of it.
As I do plan on working with more advanced lifters/people on their health journeys I think the more analytical the better.
Thanks for the input!

If you have someone who’s out of your depth I.E eating disorders or anything physical let them go to someone who’s trained in what’s best
Absolutely THIS! On my social media platform (seperate to my business) I unfortunately do get girls messaging asking for advice when they are clearly undereating/struggling with their mental health and they know this. I know there are so many out there that would be like hey I'll coach you etc etc but I honestly think this is so unprofessional. The only way (IMO) to deal with this is to recommend seeing their GP and going from there, but it scares me that that kind of response is likely not the norm.

Someone with a proper qualification! And a way of communicating that suits me.
I also would want someone who listens to me and what I need and want, rather than trying to shoehorn me into ‘their’ plan. I’d also be after proper feedback, rather than just ‘yeah you’re doing great’

I’ve used a couple of different online coaches, to varying degrees of success. I would prefer to pay more for someone who is going to help me and work with me and my goals, rather than someone who tries to make my goals and me fit to their plan.
Thank you for this reply, you've pretty much summed up exactly how I run my online coaching business so it's really validating to read. I am all about going above and beyond to work with the actually person or else how can you expect to enjoy or get the most out of their experience? Yes it takes extra work - but that's literally my job!

I really appreciate your response xx

I think that Tattle messed up my responses a little so I am sorry in advance!

Oh it’s like I’m made for this thread haha. I’ve had many coaches now. Male & female. You’ll find I comment a lot about coaches/fitness and I wish I could magic the perfect one up (for me. IMO I prefer someone to tell me what to eat. How much. When. That’s just my preference) No ads 😂 but seriously I suffer with IBS & severe PCOS. I also have anemia and leak protein if it’s far to high. One coach had me on zero carbs everyday. One had me on 45g fibre a day. One was for sure a cut and paste job because it had another clients name on the top. If you can’t deal with someone who has what I do, pass on it or I’m always happy for us to talk, let research happen and then get to work. I enjoy lifting heavy weights. I join coaches that are the BB life so don’t expect me to be happy if you put in 5 days of HIIT and burpees in my plan?! I hate being on camera. I hate anything like video, lives that I have to have my camera on for. It’s me personally, I detest it. I’ve wanted to join a few coaches but all of their check ins and even sign ups and zoom calls. It makes me uncomfortable so I’ll not do it. If doing meal plans, someone like me who eats all of the time, it’s better for me doing 5-7 meals a day. Don’t whack me on 3 meals and a small snack. I’ll face plant a McDonald’s before long. Ok. I really went on for a design a coach then 😂

Reactions: 4
Oh it’s like I’m made for this thread haha. I’ve had many coaches now. Male & female. You’ll find I comment a lot about coaches/fitness and I wish I could magic the perfect one up (for me. IMO I prefer someone to tell me what to eat. How much. When. That’s just my preference) No ads 😂 but seriously I suffer with IBS & severe PCOS. I also have anemia and leak protein if it’s far to high. One coach had me on zero carbs everyday. One had me on 45g fibre a day. One was for sure a cut and paste job because it had another clients name on the top. If you can’t deal with someone who has what I do, pass on it or I’m always happy for us to talk, let research happen and then get to work. I enjoy lifting heavy weights. I join coaches that are the BB life so don’t expect me to be happy if you put in 5 days of HIIT and burpees in my plan?! I hate being on camera. I hate anything like video, lives that I have to have my camera on for. It’s me personally, I detest it. I’ve wanted to join a few coaches but all of their check ins and even sign ups and zoom calls. It makes me uncomfortable so I’ll not do it. If doing meal plans, someone like me who eats all of the time, it’s better for me doing 5-7 meals a day. Don’t whack me on 3 meals and a small snack. I’ll face plant a McDonald’s before long. Ok. I really went on for a design a coach then 😂
Wow I am SO SO sorry you have had those experiences and it makes me ashamed to be part of that industry sometimes. It gives us people who actually know what we are doing a very bad rep!
I also suffer from chronic IBS so gut health (and hormonal health for that matter) and 2 areas that I think need so much extra care, attention and awareness about. It sounds like they put no effort in to actually listen to you and again I am sorry you had to endure that. It's surely not that hard to cater your service to the individual.
When I was a PT I didn't film ANY of my clients for my IG story and I just find it intrusive and distracting, yet it seems as though every single PT is now doing this and I don't get it? What ever happened to professionalism!
I hope you're doing okay now xx

Even the thought of that makes me want to greet

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
I love that you said greet please tell me you're Scottish I now have fond memories of my Grandma 🥰

When I was a PT I didn't film ANY of my clients for my IG story and I just find it intrusive and distracting, yet it seems as though every single PT is now doing this and I don't get it? What ever happened to professionalism!

My coach has a rule that he’ll always repost videos that we tag him in, but won’t post what we WhatsApp/text him or what he films in sessions. I’ve got a bad habit of hurting my back or being scared to hurt my back when my deadlifting so he does film them a lot so that I can see what I’m doing wrong but he doesn’t show them to anyone. He also doesn’t stand there filming he out the phone on the shelf/floor and actually concentrates on us rather than the film

I love that you said greet please tell me you're Scottish I now have fond memories of my Grandma 🥰
I am indeed! Central belt resident 🙋‍♀️

The only coach I really enjoyed and happy to name is Marguerita. I dropped so much weight, I felt amazing, I was never hungry. The workouts where on point and her responses were great. She ended up putting her prices up, I couldn’t go any higher and every other pic was an ad. For her clothing range, her boyfriends, skinny something. Everyone could pay £30 for a hoodie and I couldn’t. I’ve always been so tempted to go back to her and pay the price she’s now asking. The other coach was a male. I only enquired with him, ended up on WhatsApp and then handed over £100 that day for him to tell me he couldn’t do my plan for another week or so. Then proceeded to give me really high carbs and it was making me swell and feel poorly, I complained so he wiped them out completely but upped my fibre to a point of where I slept alone! The belly pain and noises were out of this world. He was the one who copied and pasted my plan. A few IG stalls of his clients and I found the girl who had my exact meal plan. Another coach again male, just disregarded my whole being. My illnesses can leave me in so much pain but it wasn’t recognised. My meals where stripped back and it was unpleasant.

Is it mad I’m now on IG on the hunt for a coach again? I’m in a new job and work 13 hour days. I eat every thing I can. Had a donut this morning. I keep trying calorie counting, but like last night I had food cooked for me and found out after I ate it, it had oil/fat. High cals. The whole meal I guesstimated to be around 900/1000cals. On top of what I took to work. I keep getting bigger and bigger. I love it when someone tells me what to do, when to eat, what to eat. Just how i function well I suppose. Im given a plan, I pay for the plan and I follow the plan.

I wouldn’t want someone who is full of fitness jargon or constantly being fake upbeat because it would put me off and I would get rid of you 😂

Check out MAD4FIT! 😊 she’s on insta but she’s not one of the big insta coaches and she actually cares!

I follow her (or another coach of the same name so I’m guessing it’s her 😂) and she does seem class

I just checked out Mad4fit and she does amazing work. Unfortunately I don’t want a nutrition goal right now lol I’m definitely looking for someone to make me a meal plan, calorie count it for me and set that up. I want to basically be on auto pilot and not have to think.
And Marguerita is Scottish? If same one lol

I just checked out Mad4fit and she does amazing work. Unfortunately I don’t want a nutrition goal right now lol I’m definitely looking for someone to make me a meal plan, calorie count it for me and set that up. I want to basically be on auto pilot and not have to think.
And Marguerita is Scottish? If same one lol
Muscle coach does meal plans, as does VWPhysique. No idea what they’re prices are though 😂

I'm a coach and I think it's really important to stay in my own lane: I cross-refer to physios, sports massage therapists, other trainers etc, and am totally happy to accept my own limitations. I've been in the business for around 10 years, and I'm not interested in selling any merch or supplementary crap. I think that definitely adds to your credibility as a coach. I don't run any instagram or facebook pages, don't post any of my clients on social media, and write individual programmes for everyone. I don't even post my fitness stuff on the internet anymore, but instead rely on word of mouth and recommendations to gain business. Perhaps it's not the most modern or efficient way of conducting an online fitness business (especially given the last year where I had to teach all my big classes online!) but it's worked for me and I think has given me a better reputation in the area.