What temp do you set your thermostat on in winter?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never have it on!! I’m one of those people who’s constantly warm (summer is my biggest enemy). I’ve found this winter really mild and I live in a new build flat that seems to hold warmth. If I do get cold, I’d rather just stick on a jumper and fluffy socks.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Wouldn't it cost more to keep turning it on and off?
This is my husband’s theory. It should be on all the time, adjusted to lowest at night (18 optimal for young kids’ bedrooms) then I treat myself to 20, or even 22 🤫 during the day if I’m home and it’s cold.

We had a fancy Nest gadget installed when we had the loft conversion. It has an ‘eco’ setting which, I’ve no idea what it actually does but, I guess is a good thing? And we can switch it to ‘home’ or ‘away’. So I just hit those buttons accordingly and assume I’m doing the right thing...

What an interesting and simple thread idea this is, no arguments, just bit of each others live's. Thank you O.P. X

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I always wonder about that too.. not that mine gets turned off before late spring .. But in the am I air out the house daily, and I just put the heat down to 68 then back up to 75 when I close the windows. Would it be better to just turn it off? No difference maybe?...
My SO and I were disagreeing about lights in rooms too. Is it cheaper to keep turning the lights on/off when you re-enter a room or just cheaper to leave it on... 🤷🏻‍♀️ Supposedly the action of flipping the switch uses a burst of energy thus consuming more electricity?..

This is my husband’s theory. It should be on all the time, adjusted to lowest at night (18 optimal for young kids’ bedrooms) then I treat myself to 20, or even 22 🤫 during the day if I’m home and it’s cold.

We had a fancy Nest gadget installed when we had the loft conversion. It has an ‘eco’ setting which, I’ve no idea what it actually does but, I guess is a good thing? And we can switch it to ‘home’ or ‘away’. So I just hit those buttons accordingly and assume I’m doing the right thing...
Ohh that’s nice.. the eco setting! Probably auto adjusts to lower then away... I assume. 22? That’s 71... omg I must be crazy lol
It seems like everyone keeps it much lower than I do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
18.c but it’s rarely on. Live in a new build and it’s so well insulated, We open our bedroom window at night even if it’s really cold!

17 in the day/eve. Off over night now after seeing the cost on the smart meter. Save about £1 a day which doesnt sound much but £30 a month is huge to me. All sleep fine as we’re not disturbed by banging pipes.

Just curious what temp others keep their heating on. Mine is on 75° (so that’s 24°C). I’m always cold and with that temp still have cozy socks on, and a hoodie too. I don’t put it lower at night either, though I know most set it to go down when they’re sleeping. Mine stays steady.
Are you my colleague? 😂🤔

I like about 18C, so that I can actually wear my jumpers indoors. However, I work in a small office with only one other person who likes it positively tropical. Some days I get back from lunch to find the thermostat at 28C. 😓

• Haha

That's what a boiler man said to me leave it on low all the time but I think its pointless when your not at home.

What an interesting and simple thread idea this is, no arguments, just bit of each others live's. Thank you O.P. X
Yes I like questions like these.

I always wonder about that too.. not that mine gets turned off before late spring .. But in the am I air out the house daily, and I just put the heat down to 68 then back up to 75 when I close the windows. Would it be better to just turn it off? No difference maybe?...
My SO and I were disagreeing about lights in rooms too. Is it cheaper to keep turning the lights on/off when you re-enter a room or just cheaper to leave it on... 🤷🏻‍♀️ Supposedly the action of flipping the switch uses a burst of energy thus consuming more electricity?..

Ohh that’s nice.. the eco setting! Probably auto adjusts to lower then away... I assume. 22? That’s 71... omg I must be crazy lol
Another one is plug sockets i.e the one your kettle is plugged into etc. Does it cost much to leave it switched on or Is it better to switch it off when not using it? I switch mine off.

Every plug socket off for me! I'm fire obsessed, like it rules my life. So apart from the CCTV , all plugs out when leaveing the house and at night

I have mine at 21 all day and night, except for in summer. Reason being, cold air triggers my asthma so I can’t let it get too cold, and also heat dries out the air a bit which helps because it’s always so humid in the UK and humid chill is really triggering for breathing issues. Otherwise I wouldn’t mind having it colder and wrapping up, or having a cheaper utilities bill.

Bout 30 but depends on how cold it is as normally only use a electric heater when in bedroom and only on for about mins

That's what a boiler man said to me leave it on low all the time but I think its pointless when your not at home.
Yes I know what you mean. I’m the same. I think the theory is you make your system work harder if you switch it off entirely, then it has to start from cold to get to the desired temp. Whereas if it stays on at a lower minimum temp, it doesn’t have to work as hard to get warmer?

Yes that seems to be it, lower when we’re out but not off.
I don’t know where you are based, but generally as (older?) Brits, I think there was a generation of parents who told us to just put another jumper on 😆

I think it depends on your house and how good your heating system is? My old house didn't keep the heat well and would take an hour or 2 to get back up to temperature whereas my new house keeps the heat really well (upstairs 19 and down stairs 18 this morning, heating was set to 17).

Are you my colleague? 😂🤔

I like about 18C, so that I can actually wear my jumpers indoors. However, I work in a small office with only one other person who likes it positively tropical. Some days I get back from lunch to find the thermostat at 28C. 😓
Haha 82° is a bit much even for me!! That would suck honestly to be in a small office like that! She won’t compromise? Hell tell her to buy a space heater 🤷🏻‍♀️😋 then put it at a normal setting like me ... 75! 🤣

Another one is plug sockets i.e the one your kettle is plugged into etc. Does it cost much to leave it switched on or Is it better to switch it off when not using it? I switch mine off.
I live in the US.. we can’t turn our plus sockets off! The only thing similar we have is the ones in your kitchen and bathroom have a trip so it shuts off automatically if it’s overloaded or something is wrong.. it has a little light that’s green when on.

Yes I know what you mean. I’m the same. I think the theory is you make your system work harder if you switch it off entirely, then it has to start from cold to get to the desired temp. Whereas if it stays on at a lower minimum temp, it doesn’t have to work as hard to get warmer?

Yes that seems to be it, lower when we’re out but not off.
I don’t know where you are based, but generally as (older?) Brits, I think there was a generation of parents who told us to just put another jumper on 😆
haha I’m in the US but yeah that’s my dad. Growing up he was like that! Lol When he comes to visit he slyly messes w my thermostat like I won’t notice the temp change 🙄

Last edited:
Ranges between 21.5-23C degrees. We have Hive, so I boost it for however long I need, which is usually for about 4-5 hours in the evenings, and occasionally longer for during the day if I’m working from home.

Yes it would, if the temp dropped and it had to heat up again.

Every plug socket off for me! I'm fire obsessed, like it rules my life. So apart from the CCTV , all plugs out when leaveing the house and at night
In Canada/North America, the plug sockets don't have a switch! You can't turn them on or off. I found it interesting when I moved here but it's cause the voltage is much lower. We also have sockets in the bathroom which is better as I can dry my hair there. Drives me crazy now when I go to the UK and there isn't a proper plug socket in the bathroom. Haha. This is what they look like https://www.google.com/search?q=nor...hVoJzQIHXcUDpsQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=360&bih=657

Reactions: 3
I'm at home with a baby all day so we have it set to 20 during the day and then 19 at night. We keep the thermostat in the baby's room which I think is the warmest room in the house so it can be a bit cold in the living room during the day, so I'll give it a quick boost until it's a bit warmer.