What is your earliest memory?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was thinking about this in bed last night, isn’t it weird how no one can remember being a baby? We learn so much at that age but obviously can’t create long term memories.

My earliest memory is my brother being born when I was almost 3. I don’t really remember him, but I remember my grandma taking me up to the hospital and going in a lift.

After that my memories are mainly about my first days at playgroup and school. I remember that horrible feeling of realising my mum had gone and I was on my own:cry: and I can remember being small and people looking really big.

What are your earliest memories? Can anyone actually remember being a baby?

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Being dropped on my face. My mum used to play a game where she would hang mu upside down and pretend to drop me but actually did drop me. I was about 2.

My eldest was adament she could remember an event that happened when she was a baby and she could describe it really well in a way I didn't remember it. But she probably heard us talking about it as a small child and put her own spin on it.

• Haha
When we were kids my brother was adamant that he could remember seeing me in mums tummy. So his memory stretched back pretty far 😄

I don’t know which is my earliest memory as I’ll never know what order they happened in but my earliest memories are all bad 😄
One is sitting on a balloon and it popping and snapping against my legs and being scared and crying!
Two is falling down the stairs 😐
Three is going to a park with my mum & dad. We got some snacks at the cafe & sat down on the grass to eat them. I then realised I wanted something we’d forgotten so I was given the money to go back by myself. On reflection it was obviously all really close together and we must have been very close to the shop but to my memory it was all massive. The next thing I remember is running back to my parents screaming because an intercity 252 train had come out of nowhere at full speed and I was convinced I was going to be flattened!
in reality it must have been one of those little 1 mile an hour trains that go around malls and parks but I still remember it being a proper train!

Honestly waking up in the middle of the night and wondering what I had for dinner the night before and I couldn’t remember if it was chicken nuggets or fish fingers

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I can remember some things vaguely from being like 3/4. My husband always takes the piss out of me and says there’s no possible way people remember anything from that age. I told him a story from when I was about 8 and even then he was saying there’s no way I could remember that. He can’t remember his childhood at all, especially before the age of 10. I’ve always found that really strange, maybe because he didn’t have the greatest childhood he’s just blocked it out 😕.

Reactions: 2
I can remember some things vaguely from being like 3/4. My husband always takes the piss out of me and says there’s no possible way people remember anything from that age. I told him a story from when I was about 8 and even then he was saying there’s no way I could remember that. He can’t remember his childhood at all, especially before the age of 10. I’ve always found that really strange, maybe because he didn’t have the greatest childhood he’s just blocked it out 😕.
The average age for childhood memories is around 2 and a half to three years of age so you are the norm.

I dont remember much at all of being young. Earliest memories are of being chased with daddy long legs by my Mum, hearing a gun shot when looking out the window for my dad coming home and walking into our new house when I was around 4/5.

I’m not sure if my mind made this up lol but I swear I can remember standing up in my cot and crying for my mum in the night and then her coming in the room to comfort me.

I have a few memories from when I was at nursery! I was about 2/3. I remember a boy having a tantrum because I started playing with a boat in the water table and then being told by an adult to share, I remember making paintings for my mum & dad and they were put up on our kitchen wall.

I don't know if I remember any memories from that young or whether because I've seen pictures or talked about it I remember it that way.
I'm quite thankful we don't remember being babies or remember the pain etc as me and my sister were born very premature.
My son who is now 6 remembers his dad head butting me and cracking my forehead open when he was 3. Its memories like that you dont want to remember.
Thankfully we have made lots of happier memories to hopefully out way it. But traumatic memories often stay with you.

• Sad
There are three of mine and I'm not sure of which order, but I had flashbacks of this flat they had no carpets, two black puppies that shat all over the floor and it would get squidged in between the doors and walls of their flat, their kids were a bit older than me in their room you couldn't see the floor because they were so messy, their floor was like mountains of things, the mum having brown teeth and I didnt like them and because I also remember being there in this house seeing my sisters nappy being changed on the cold hard, black council estate floor there, so growing up I was convinced she was adopted from said house and would call her a woman as we got older for it. It turnt out to be one of my dads best friends at the time he had from childhood. He was always in and out of jail for theft and his wife had brown teeth as she smoked cigarettes and drank tea all day.

I also remember going to see my mum in hospital after she gave birth to my brother. She had him wrapped in a pale orange blanket, the ward seemed enormous, but it was just a normal post natal ward, just my childhood perception.

I also remember stubbing my big toe while I was running on something (turned out to be a speaker while they were rearranging a room and having a big clear out), my toe POURING with blood and half hanging off (again childhood perception because I'd only lost a nail) screaming my head off, my parents trying to comfort me but then trying to get into a bin liner because I was broken.

I was 3 when all of these would have occurred.

Last edited:
I was about two and half and sat in the front passenger seat of my Mum's car. I remember putting my feet on the dashboard and feeling like a legit badass cos I was sat in the front 🤣

• Haha
I can remember being about 18 months old, ( too many years ago ) sitting in my pram and minding my own business and my brother and sister and 2 cousins ( all a lot older than me ) came and took the brake off the pram which rolled away and crashed into a gate. Fotiunately I was ok but I bet the others got into trouble.:oops:

• Heart
  • Haha
I remember my Dad and his friend meeting up while I was in a pram. His friend had his son with him and they squashed him in beside me. I remember thinking this is my pram not yours. Shame I took it so badly, he grew up into a really good looking man.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I remember being dropped off at playgroup which was before school nursery so I could only have been 3 or 4

All I remember is one of the staff holding me with a toilet roll whilst I screamed the place down watching my mum walk out the room, traumatic!

Reactions: 1
I remember holding my lovely Nana’s hand & her showing me my parents house being built I was 2 yrs 5 months when I moved in so would only have been turned 2.

Another time I also remember being in my buggy & just remember how cold my face was, i can remember the rain cover that covered everything apart from my face (early 80’s)

• Sad
My earliest memory is my mum being attacked in the town by a neighbour, they tried pushing her under a lorry. He went to prison shortly after for harassment. I was possibly just turned 3.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My earliest memory is my mum being attacked in the town by a neighbour, they tried pushing her under a lorry. He went to prison shortly after for harassment. I was possibly just turned 3.
That's awful! It's sad that alot of the memories children hold on to are negative!

That's awful! It's sad that alot of the memories children hold on to are negative!
I'm surprised I remember it to be honest, so much of my childhood is blocked out! I do remember my mum having the softest skin and she still does but has never used beauty products!

• Heart
My first memory is, I was around 5 and I just had a roast dinner and scoffed two fairy cakes right after it. I ran up the stairs, took one look at my dog and threw up all over him 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I have a vague memory of sitting on my grandmother's knee. I remember that she was wearing a yellow and white striped dress. She died only a couple of months after I turned two, so I must have been very young at the time.

• Heart