Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Itsallaboutmememe

Chatty Member
I survived rape
there-I said it
he got off on the charge and watching the smug bastard walk out of court with his brainwashed girlfriend was the hardest thing I’ve ever done

i also walked away from my narcissistic mother-I know she keeps tabs on me and spreads her crap but I just don’t give a damn

im sending you loads of love-your life can and will change if you want it to
it may just be a different path xxx

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24

YellowMellow14

Chatty Member
Having an extremely premature baby then being diagnosed with an incurable rare cancer weeks after the birth. Took me months to take it in and accept my life was now different. I'm not going to live as long as I would like (average life expectancy is just under 5 years and I am now 16 months into diagnosis) and I won't see my children grow up but we are living in the moment and enjoying what time we have. This why I joined this site because all these instagrammers don't realise there is more to life than watching it through your phone!

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 20

Bingewatcher92

i lost my fiancé to suicide 7 months ago. It was 12 weeks before our wedding.
I’m surviving but I’m not sure how.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Casperron

VIP Member
Being homeless, with no money, no friends or family from age 15-18. Living in hostels with needles lying about the place, bed bugs and mice. Whilst in a physically and mentally abusive relationship. My ex wouldn’t even let me pick my newborn up and soothe him crying. I kicked him out when my son was 3 weeks old. Worked my arse off (literally) every single night as a webcam model, getting 4 hours sleep each night then getting up and giving my son the best life possible. One year on I have an amazing house and I run a successful business, a nice car, my son doesn’t see his dad, but we have amazing friends and support- I couldn’t be more happier right now.

• Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
I am so sorry for everything you're going through. As for your husband, maybe some couples counselling? As well as individual counselling for you. Counselling sounds daunting and scary but it can really be so helpful in helping us work through hard things and get our thoughts straight.

The hardest thing I've gone through was losing my 4 year old son. That was 4 years ago and it's not something I'll ever overcome. It's taken over every fibre of my being and every second of my life. I think about him ALL the time, which I wouldn't think was possible but he's on my mind 24/7 and I miss him so much. I don't know how I get through it and how I'm still here, but I am.

Knowing I have to get through the rest of my life without him is incredibly hard, but I have my two other kids and I know it would hurt them more if they couldn't have me as their Mum for the rest of my life. I have to be here for them.

• Sad

G&TGal

My partner was controlling, a narcissist and led a double life with another family elsewhere. My first pregnancy was twins and I lost one at 17 weeks but thankfully his brother managed to hold on and was born only 3 weeks early, a healthy handsome boy. During the pregnancy I was helping my Mum nurse my father at home who was dying of cancer and he was determined to live to meet his first grandchild which he did and died when my son was only 4 weeks old.
After my father died, my partners controlling behaviour became unbearable and then I became pregnant again. He left repeatedly and like a fool I would take him back. I eventually saw sense and threw him out the night before our second son was born, so I went into labour, asked my Mum to look after my little boy, drove myself to hospital to give birth and came home when my baby was 8hours old.
I was self employed so straight back to work to bring in a wage to look after my two boys as my partner declined any financial help. My Mum was amazing.
Not going into detail but my younger son had a life limiting condition which was a missed / failed diagnosis and only discovered after being blue-lighted to Intensive Care. The late diagnosis reduced his life expectancy from 30 + years to unlikely to make it to his teens. Training up to do IV's etc at home and with CHAS helping with end of life care meant my precious boy died suddenly but peacefully in my arms one night at home - he was 12. It was so sudden that the CHAS team were not there so it was just us. The physical pain of grief was incredible but I had a 14 year old son to support who had been a young carer and he had just lost not only his brother but his best friend and partner in crime.
7 years on, the pain has subsided from feeling like my heart had physically been ripped out to a dull ache that never goes away, but we had 12 fantastic years which is more than many people get with their children and I conceived three boys, gave birth to two and still have one I can physically hug. Some people never get that chance.
I have always said it is a great thing we cannot bargain, as I would give one year of my life for one more day with my son but that one day would never be enough.
My Mum is now in the very last stages of her life and I feel when she dies I will have lost not only a fantastic Mum but someone with whom I share countless memories of my boys as children.
Some things in life you overcome, some swamp you and others you learn to live with.
If you have some good friends around you - really true friends, it can make a difference. It may be only one or two people and they may live close by or be on the end of a phone but they are often the ones that get you through.

• Sad
Reactions: 15

Lenusi87

My mom was diagnosed with cancer in January 2013, we fought it, it went into remission, it came back, fought it, went into remission again and then came back in high force and it was too late. The doctors told us they could not do anything more for her in November 2015. The month I got pregnant after trying to get pregnant for a year. You can imagine how she felt that she would not get to see her granddaughter.
She died in May 2016 after so many months of pain, basically she struggled to die all in agony. People whom you tell someone died from cancer think they died like in the movies, silent and all of the sudden. So f***ing false. It takes a person so much time to die from cancer, one of the most horrible deaths. The worst were the final 3 weeks, because by this time the cancer took away her walking ability, her eye sight, her speech and her mind. She transformed from my loving mother to a very difficult person who could not be satisfied with anything. My dad was on edge with her and I had to constantly intervene to calm them down. The mother I knew all my life as a beautiful very posh woman was now a tortured debilitated human being. She was always looking at me like she was begging me to save her. You cannot imagine how torturing it is to see your mother in this state and not be able to do anything. How cruel nature can be! My father and I watched over her day and night, and still had to work, so we had to take turns. The night she died I had just stepped out. It's like she knew I left and decided to spare me the pain and died in my absence. By this time, I was 6 months and a half pregnant. Until I gave birth I could not truly cry and mourn her because I could feel my baby descend from the motions my abdomen was making while crying and I was scared of having a miscarriage or a premature birth. So I had to learn to keep everything inside. Once I gave birth, my baby was extremely fussy. Didn't sleep and wanted to breastfeed all the time. So i was awake 20 hours a day, breasts were sore and bloody, my husband didn't support me at all. He was absent for the final 4 months of my pregnancy so I was all alone for my mother's death. The fact that I could not mourn my mom exacerbated my post partum depression and I had 2 suicide attempts in the first 8 months. The constant struggle of feeling guilty that I wanted out versus the fact that I had a baby depending on me was exhausting. For a full year after my mother's death I has PTSD. All the friends that I thought I had didn't ever so much as call to see how I was. My mother in law ignored me and my baby. At times I would not even get to eat because my baby was crying all the time and I had to hold her, but no one cared.
Babes, I am posting this to ask you to do what no one did for me when I needed it. When you hear someone has a relative who is struggling with cancer make them a homecooked meal and bring it to them. Give them a hug while they cry. Or at least give them a call. Especially if they are pregnant. No one should have to go through what I went through.
Now, after 4 years I can say I am better, but I can honestly say I can not smile the way I did before my mother's illness. My entire concept of what is important in life has changed and I am not sure this is a good thing. I am tougher and more mature, but the cost was too much.
One good thing that came out of this experience was that I am truly grateful to be alive everyday.

• Sad
Reactions: 13

petitspois

VIP Member
My hardest thing was finding out about my husband’s affair and then the split. Nothing at all like some of the things you wonderful women have coped with but it hurt. I tried to take one day at a time, focus on small steps and, while it’s a cliché and sounds trite, seeing the bigger picture and trying to focus on what you have rather than what you don’t helped. It’s still shit though.

One thing that irritated me and still does is when people say ‘I don’t know how you do it’ – it’s because there’s no choice!

Reactions: 11

Annie101

Hello All, I've been going through some personal issues and emotionally i feel tired, hopeless and that i will never be able to cope again. I have to ask myself, do you want to die or do you just want to stop feeling like you do. I was brought up thinking my father was my biological father and i was lied to all the time. When i asked about my biological father i was told it is not important, to apologise to my adoptive father that i found the information. I dont know anything of my biological father. Soon after i was told that i am infertile and yet i became pregnant and i was so happy. I lost the baby due to etopic pregnancy, which caused more damaged. I was hoping for another miracle but nothing ever happened again. I married the love of my life, and to be honest he is an alcoholic. He only drinks at home, hiding it from me and i find these hidden bottles and a glass all over our house. We have a blessed life, good occupations and a beautiful 10 bedroom french villa in the country for just the two of us. I should feel grateful for what i have, but materialistic things means nothing if the only thing you want is to be first in someone's life. I know he loves me dearly but i know that he would choose alcohol before me each time. Expecting him to be there for me emotionally is like going to a hardware store to buy a bread. It breaks my heart every day and i struggle to accept my circumstances. I know other people are going though things much worse than mine, and that i should be grateful, but all of this that i am telling you i kept a secret for so many years and letting it out on here is my only release.

• Sad
I def recommend having counselling, it can be such a huge help, even years later. I grew up in a home where there was severe domestic abuse which resulted in my mum and us kids packing and leaving home and moving 300 miles away in the space of 2 days. When I was 16 I would wake in the night with our lodgers boyfriend in my bed having sex with me, I never told anyone as I thought I’d be blamed for it happening and the lodger would come find him and laugh cos he’d sleepwalked in to my bed. It wasn’t until approx10 years after that I properly realised he’d been raping me, I just always thought it must have been my fault. I lost my younger brother to suicide at 28 which was devastating. I became involved with a guy who was well known as a great gentle giant guy but was really a severely depressed arsehole who became violent. He attempted suicide twice while we were together and throttled me twice till I passed out. I tried to walk away so many times and he would suck be back in with saying how he was scared and how much he needed me etc. He called me to his house where’s he threw petrol all over the house and me and him and then tried to set us on fire! He had taken an overdose which meant I was strong enough to fight him and stop him setting us alight. It ended when he tried to hang himself in my house when he was drunk and I stopped him, he left and drove his car into a lorry and died. I can honestly say I have never felt grief like it, it felt broken in two. I also had a massive sense of relief because I’d spent 2 years trying to stop him killing himself and now it happened. I felt free of him. I went for counselling 8 months after because I just felt I needed to talk and get everything out. I can honestly say I’m happy and loving life now. Sorry for the explicit details or triggers for anyone but I’m living proof that people are stronger than they think 😊

• Sad
  • Wow
As someone said above I definitely recommend therapy and try and find the right person and it will help!
I was sexually abused as a child by my older brother and never told my mum as she suffered with severe depression and I knew it would kill her - my brother was also her favourite so maybe I thought she wouldn’t believe me 🤷‍♀️ She died 2 years ago from alcoholic liver disease and I did think of telling her on her death bed but then thought there’s no point. I still fell so angry all the time (I don’t speak to my brother but he lives near so see him sometimes) but you can’t let the anger weigh you down. I’m reading a few self help books so hopefully that will help.
I’ve also had lots of suicidal feelings and wished a serious illness on myself but these days if I can get through one day without thinking this I know I’ve done good 👍
Chin up because us women are made of strong stuff xx

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

37BBL

VIP Member
Hardest things I have been through; suddenly losing my stepfather with no prior warning. Absolutely fine one minute, gone the next. Telling my 5 year old the next morning. Supporting my mother through grief. 6 months later my sibling did something terrible due to being an alcoholic which none of us knew about. My niece and nephew were removed and my nephew is now in care, my niece with my mother.
During that time my father had a cancer scare and had to have a major operation to repair an artery.
Sibling did various other unthinkable things and caused heartbreak across the family.
My sibling is in rehab and has been since before christmas.
We have no relationship and I dont know if we ever will.

I try and focus on the positives in my life. I am not my sibling and I know I am a good person. I am there for my family. I protected my children by not letting them see or know what was going on. Things are a hell of a lot better than they were 12 months ago. I am able to leave my phone on the side without panicking every time it rings. What will be will be, I am not responsible for the actions of someone else.

Keep going, it will be ok in the end. If its not ok, it's not the end xxx

Reactions: 9

Carrie2019

My husband lost his mum to cancer in 2015. He was 29 and his mum was 62.

then in December 2017 his dad fell down the stairs at home and died. He was air lifted to Walton hospital in Liverpool but was brain dead.
It didn’t help he’d had a heart attack in November and needed a stent put in and the blood thinners he was on didn’t cause his brain to clot when he fell.

my husband is an only child and lost both parents by the age of 32. He also has no family left now in the uk just cousins in SA.

as well as going through that we also underwent ivf pgd to screen out a genetic condition my husband has.
We started IVF in April 2015, had 6 transfers and spent over £30,000. I had 6 failed transfers. Our clinic was in London so I travelled from Liverpool to London literally just for a blood test and back home continuously for 4 years.

My amazing friend then offered to be our surrogate and we are now 22 weeks pregnant and finally seeing light.

everyone here is so strong and amazing and I hope you all have the support network of friends we have that have pulled us up out of the dark times.
OP - have you close friends? Have you thought about counselling?I know when people are on the drunk mental health services and places don’t tend to get involved. Could you call an AA for advice?

to get me through tough times I used to read a lot of quotes. My favourite was:

‘ on the bad days when I don’t think I can possibly survive, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that’s pretty good’

My inbox is always open if needed, for anyone xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 9

KateESJ

VIP Member
Reading your post made me cry. Someone once said to me about loss 'you never get over it, you learn to live with it'. 🙁
That sums it up pretty well. I’m not sure I’ve learnt how to live with it quite yet though. I hope I do. My chest hurts all the time. I have so many physical symptoms that it’s hard to put it to the back of my mind. Grief is weird and confusing and so debilitating.

• Sad
Reactions: 8

Princesspinky

Annie , you are stronger than you realise and you can do this.
Would you consider going to speak to someone , it can help so much getting these feelings out , then you can let them go. Would your husband consider getting help for his alcohol problem? He will need to have some kind of acknowledgement that he has a problem and the need to get help . Have you spoken to him about this ?

My biological dad took his own life when I was 2 , in order to keep that from me , my uncle decided to play the dad role and I grew up thinking he was my dad.
Obviously when I found out at 16/17 was very traumatic.
My uncle died 5 years go and that hit me hard. He was an alcoholic , ex military and had many problems in later life. His passing is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to cope with in life .
Whilst I'm not in your exact situation , I can relate to the things you have mentioned.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
I was injured during the birth of my daughter (undiagnosed 3rd degree tear) and it took 3 years and countless appointments to find it and 8 years and the involvement of solicitors to get the nhs trust to do anything to help my deliberating symptoms. I had a couple of surgeries in the end and will need many more for years to come but it’s been 10 years now and I still don’t know how I survived when I could barely leave the house.

• Sad
  • Angry

Dizzy

VIP Member
Just wanted to say how sad but also how supportive and empowering this thread is. I hope others are reading and getting comfort from it. Those of you who have gone through such dreadful things I salute you. You are strong and brave and I too wish you peace.

• Heart

Twinkle485

Can I be honest. I’ve been through some shit but the hardest thing was watching the person I fell madly in love with love someone else.
I have moved on now and found someone had a family but when I see him or hear his name inside it does feel like a punch to the gut. It’s insane how much it affected me.

• Sad

Sln2404

There’s nothing so hard in this world that you can’t overcome it, little by little.

I suffered a stillbirth at 6 months and then went on to have 2 miscarriages 1 after the other. I now have my little miracle. It does and will get better x

• Sad