What is an online troll?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With it being banded about this weekend, I’ve been thinking about what it is.
aside from the different ways I’ve heard of it being said, everyone seems to have different meaning for it.
I’ve attached the Cambridge dictionaries version for comparison.

Also, apologies how badly written that post is. I’m knackered and it’s making me even more illiterate

Attachments

Reactions: 1
I think it you @ someone with something offensive/threatening, or have a large platform that you use to create pile ons (PM/OJ both do this) then you're a troll. I was once called a troll for tweeting that I found someone on bake off annoying. I didn't @ him. I didn't use a hashtag. The only way for him to have seen it is to have vanity searched his own name. I don't think me saying he was annoying is trolling. I think him quote tweeting me and calling me a troll was trolling.

Reactions: 3
The word is losing its meaning as influencers push back against any criticism about their dubious activities. Lots of professionals are held to account with their appropriate regulating bodies. Hell, the police are there to uphold the law - can you imagine...

"You're under arrest for the suspected murder of x"
"How dare you troll me! Be kind"

Reactions: 6
Someone that deliberately sends a message to someone to try to upset them and get a reaction.

Gossiping about someone away from their feed is not trolling. Gossip existed before paper. Make yourself a public figure and share your private life and people will want to talk about it.

I haven't seen people on tattle wanting to upset someone, they are just sick of lies and BS. Influencers call tattle hate speech when there's no hate here.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think an online troll is a person who personally attacks, threatens and goes out their way to leave nasty comments to someone. To provoke an emotion to that person with the intent to emotionally hurt them. An Internet troll says things to that person that they may not say to that person face to face in real life.

A troll is not someone who disagrees on an opinion and a person who can have a civilised discussion about differences in opinions is not a troll.

Reactions: 7
I agree with the Cambridge dictionary definition. Some people seem to think trolling = having a different opinion or not kissing someone’s arse. I think the intention to cause upset for the sake of it or desire to get attention is the defining factor here

What do people think about influencers saying their main objection to their threads on Tattle is that they are easily seen on google? Genuine issue or smokescreen?

In other words is it that this site exists at all or that for a lot of them it comes up in the first page, sometimes above the fold, when you google just their name?

What do people think about influencers saying their main objection to their threads on Tattle is that they are easily seen on google? Genuine issue or smokescreen?
Probably a bit of both. Perhaps if small businesses and the like and looking to collaborate #kindlygiftedthings then it might put them off engaging if they think that person is linked to anything controversial.

Reactions: 2
A troll is personally attacking somebody on their small online space on the internet.
I do not class Tattle as trolling. None of my friends, family or husband watch the YouTubers that I watch, I cannot discuss anything with them and if you leave constructive criticism on their comments it gets deleted by their team or attacked by their minions. Thank goodness Tattle exists so I know that the world hasn't gone mad and that I'm not the only person that sees the shady, dishonest and child exploitation practices of the YouTuber/Instagram marketing industry.

Reactions: 8
Probably a bit of both. Perhaps if small businesses and the like and looking to collaborate #kindlygiftedthings then it might put them off engaging if they think that person is linked to anything controversial.
Agreed. Feels like there’s 1. what’s being said here 2. the fact it’s “googleable”. Easily conflated. I think the vast majority of people here wouldn’t care if it wasn’t so searchable/visible, they just want to share their views without trolling.

Agreed. Feels like there’s 1. what’s being said here 2. the fact it’s “googleable”. Easily conflated. I think the vast majority of people here wouldn’t care if it wasn’t so searchable/visible, they just want to share their views without trolling.
Agree. I come on here not really thinking about if anyone sees it. More to have a chat about stuff people IRL don’t have an interest in.
I think people don’t like that they can’t curate what’s said here. So whilst their online persona is calculated to an inch, the don’t want brands seeing the other side.

They're a business, they shouldn't think they're immune from feedback. Any brands will know tattle is peoples opinions, and out of the hundreds of influencers there is only a handful have busy tattle threads. That's because of their own actions.

If you google sali hughes tattle doesn't show up, if you google sali hughes dawn o'porter it does show up with the bullying sali was behind. Seeing the kind of actions sali engaged in and refused to take responsibility for I think it's good there's a record.

Reactions: 6
Agree. I come on here not really thinking about if anyone sees it. More to have a chat about stuff people IRL don’t have an interest in.
I think people don’t like that they can’t curate what’s said here. So whilst their online persona is calculated to an inch, the don’t want brands seeing the other side.
Yes.

And, while it’s not my personal view at all, I can see how an influencer might think that if you google their name and the first bunch of results is a load of threads talking trash about them, that could be considered a sort of trolling. A trolling of their brand, perhaps?

Is that at me?

Hi Sali Hughes, bye Sali Hughes 👋
1581949665123.png

• Haha
Yes.

And, while it’s not my personal view at all, I can see how an influencer might think that if you google their name and the first bunch of results is a load of threads talking trash about them, that could be considered a sort of trolling. A trolling of their brand, perhaps?
I can see that. So that makes tattle the help of influencers. Basically a review site.
It must be tricky when you are your brand. In brand Beckham there is some distance between when we see and what’s real.Influencers are practically posting their bowl schedules, so criticism must feel harsh as there isn’t that distance of it being the persona being criticised.

It seems now a Troll is just someone who has an negative opinion other than a positive one. Say anything slightly negative or speak your mind and you are now a Troll.

I'm glad this thread has been started.
Since everything with Caroline flacks death, and the world and his wife suddenly becoming holier than Mary and never gossiped, I've been feeling conflicted about posting here and feeling guilty. I would hate to think anything I said in here had an impact on someone that much, but at the same time... You're never going to like everyone! And that's ok. They don't have to read here.
I have never commented on newspaper articles, or DM'd someone, or commented on their own posts.

I started a light hearted thread in a closed Facebook group over a week ago, about celebrities everyone loves but you just don't get... A week later I'm getting comments on it and DM's saying I'm the reason Caroline flack killed herself 😔
I've deleted that post, but it was genuinely light hearted humour.

Edit: to me, there's a big difference between "her hair looks a bit dry/her husband annoys me/wish they wouldn't show their kids like that" to "she should kill herself/he's a paedophile" and quite a few things I've seen on recent Philip Schofield threads.

Reactions: 4
I've definitely seen comments on here that I'd describe as below the belt and inappropriate. I've also seen many comments on here that are valuable, reasonable and discerning. There's a difference between criticism and abuse and some people (on both giving and receiving sides) don't seem to understand that.

Reactions: 8
I've definitely seen comments on here that I'd describe as below the belt and inappropriate. I've also seen many comments on here that are valuable, reasonable and discerning. There's a difference between criticism and abuse and some people (on both giving and receiving sides) don't seem to understand that.
The problem I think is some people want to just talk about the ethics of influencers. That's hard to do on a gossip site, because it is a gossip site not an ethics site.

Some think all comments about appearance or anything about the children they share with the world are below the belt and have no place. I've seen comments that I wouldn't make on here, but everything is pretty mild compared to "the internet" and the rare times anything bad is posted here people report it and it's removed quickly, unlike FB, twitter, IG and reddit.

Reactions: 4