What has happened to Instagram?!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need to start a thread about how Instagram is ruined because of these stupid ad/gifted/affiliate link crap. I am absolutely fed up of seeing people get things for free just to either write a blog post about it or post something on their grid. Us normal folk work tirelessly and earn money to pay for luxury things, yes PAY for them. It’s making me not want to buy anything from these companies when they’re giving stuff away to ‘influencers’. The thing that boils my blood the most is giving free holidays or stays to families. I’m falling out of love with Instagram, I used to love it as a social media platform to gain interior inspiration or fashion inspo etc. Now it’s just filled with the same shite, people thinking they’re models- staring into space looking ridiculous promoting some brand they’re ‘working with’. I’ve seen people quit their actual careers to be an ‘influencer’- ludicrous. Yes I could just not follow them and yes everyone is entitled to their own life choices etc but it feels like an absolute kick in the teeth that we normal people save up for things with our hard earned money when others are given things because they have lots of followers? Just needed somewhere to rant!

• Heart
Reactions: 73
Us normal folk work tirelessly and earn money to pay for luxury things, yes PAY for them.
This ^^^ is exactly what pisses me off to no end about those so called ‘rich and famous celebs/influencers’ they all have the means to afford what they promote yet unfortunately the whole system is broken. The rich continue getting richer as usual.

And scarily, as I think to the future and what it’ll be like for my son, it’s all going to be so normal for him! I think the reason it irks us so much is probably because none of us have grown up with how social media works etc (I’m 25 and I can’t stand it) yet I know, like you, plenty of people who are obsessed with trying to become an ‘influencer’.

I welcome Instagram taking the likes away and await the reactions from all these influencers crying when they do 😀

Reactions: 15
I agree with everything you’ve just said ☝👏🏼

I’ve unfollowed so many ‘influencers’ recently, I’m sick of seeing soda streams and sharks and every single thing swan sell...sending someone a free coffee maker isn’t going to make me want to buy one it’s going to piss me off

Even the ones that don’t usually push brands are doing it in a sneakier roundabout way

Loved secret cleaner this week showing the VOC in brands...made me look at what I was using then the next minute it’s buy this its so safe 🤦🏻‍♀️

Im definitely falling out of love with instagram lately

Reactions: 8
So many accounts that I followed for years have quit their jobs to 'do instagram' full time. And to make any sort of income it's Ad after bloody Ad.

Reactions: 7
Preaching to converted i feel same.
Tried to unfollow all influencers bloggers with large following.
Read article 1/3 people you know 1/3 cute dogs and 1/3 drag queens makes insta more interesting.

I’ve deleted everyone.
As soon as you put an ad I’m out. It’s a competition of who can get the most free tit.
I’ve started following people or dogs 😂 who really make me feel good, as sad as that sounds.

Reactions: 21
It’s unbearable now. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a sponsored post, has been gifted something, is advertising something nowadays.

The posts I’m most tired of and unfollowed entirely are those IG girls who post unrealistic, stupid set ups of their extravengent baths where they’ve got pizza, a cupcake, 3 books and a candle on their bath tray saying ‘just a cosy night in’. Or they sit on their bed with magazines, a cup of coffee in matching pyjama sets on a ‘regular Sunday morning’. I just feel sorry for them because the effort they must go to to take every single photo must mean their lives are dictated by that.

Then they post things like ‘woke up with a cold and am having a day sat on the sofa watching telly SO HERES A PIC OF ME THREE WEEKS AGO IN IBIZA’ like how about you post a pic from your sofa? THAT’S real life?

Reactions: 21
I’ve deleted everyone.
As soon as you put an ad I’m out. It’s a competition of who can get the most free tit.
I’ve started following people or dogs 😂 who really make me feel good, as sad as that sounds.
Im.a sucker for pugs

Reactions: 4
I’ve been really put off recently - the #ads/#gifted stuff that seems to be on so many posts, the conspicuous consumption of some people, the ‘in going to be really into the environment from now on’ that you know means a collaboration with some eco brand 🙄🙄

I’m following the PTWM thread and that’s really opened my eyes to how easy it is to mislead people on insta (and other social media) - I’ve been deleting the people who just get on my (.)(.)’s tooooo much and starting to be way more selective about who I follow/allow to follow me 😕

Oh, and these 19yr olds who are contoured/coloured/fake as duck setting themselves up as having perfect lives 😂 Chlos_world for example; fake hair, eyelashes, tons of make up and every picture is an affiliate to another mini shirt dress, intermingled with ‘off plan’ and ‘I’m so fat’ videos - plus another ‘ask me anything’ - tempting to write ‘why are such a twit?’ 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I am on the same page as you all. Infuriating. Instagram has been full on ruined by this. You actually never know if you’re being coaxed or not cos half of the “INFLUENCERS” don’t declare a bleeping thing. “Celeb” accounts are the worst for flogging bullshit like those carfumes.

I need to start a thread about how Instagram is ruined because of these stupid ad/gifted/affiliate link crap. I am absolutely fed up of seeing people get things for free just to either write a blog post about it or post something on their grid. Us normal folk work tirelessly and earn money to pay for luxury things, yes PAY for them. It’s making me not want to buy anything from these companies when they’re giving stuff away to ‘influencers’. The thing that boils my blood the most is giving free holidays or stays to families. I’m falling out of love with Instagram, I used to love it as a social media platform to gain interior inspiration or fashion inspo etc. Now it’s just filled with the same shite, people thinking they’re models- staring into space looking ridiculous promoting some brand they’re ‘working with’. I’ve seen people quit their actual careers to be an ‘influencer’- ludicrous. Yes I could just not follow them and yes everyone is entitled to their own life choices etc but it feels like an absolute kick in the teeth that we normal people save up for things with our hard earned money when others are given things because they have lots of followers? Just needed somewhere to rant!
Agreed. Bottom line is, to be engaged it either has to be visually stimulating, which is the most important aspect as the first thing you see is a photo, or be of some interest to you in general like politics, sport, ballet, whatever. No just have another cash induced moron bang on about shampoo. There is way more crap to wade through before finding the 1 interesting post lost in 100 moronic ones!

I’ve been really put off recently - the #ads/#gifted stuff that seems to be on so many posts, the conspicuous consumption of some people, the ‘in going to be really into the environment from now on’ that you know means a collaboration with some eco brand 🙄🙄

I’m following the PTWM thread and that’s really opened my eyes to how easy it is to mislead people on insta (and other social media) - I’ve been deleting the people who just get on my (.)(.)’s tooooo much and starting to be way more selective about who I follow/allow to follow me 😕

Oh, and these 19yr olds who are contoured/coloured/fake as duck setting themselves up as having perfect lives 😂 Chlos_world for example; fake hair, eyelashes, tons of make up and every picture is an affiliate to another mini shirt dress, intermingled with ‘off plan’ and ‘I’m so fat’ videos - plus another ‘ask me anything’ - tempting to write ‘why are such a twit?’ 😂
plus another ‘ask me anything’ - tempting to write ‘why are such a twit?’ 😂

DEAD 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 2
I agree with everything you’ve just said ☝👏🏼

I’ve unfollowed so many ‘influencers’ recently, I’m sick of seeing soda streams and sharks and every single thing swan sell...sending someone a free coffee maker isn’t going to make me want to buy one it’s going to piss me off

Even the ones that don’t usually push brands are doing it in a sneakier roundabout way

Loved secret cleaner this week showing the VOC in brands...made me look at what I was using then the next minute it’s buy this its so safe 🤦🏻‍♀️

Im definitely falling out of love with instagram lately
Those stories thesecretcleaner did last week were very misleading.
I have the exact same air purifier as she has and I spoke to Dyson themselves who said that if I did the same test as her (which I did) I'd get a totally different reading (which I did)...
There will always be particles in the air which can vary and of course these interfere with the readings.
So something that might give off a high reading in her home might be lower in mine (which it was)...
Something as simple as having a window slightly open would bring in more pollutants as would having previously cooked a meal in the same room as the test is being done in.
It's not just as simple as spraying and taking a result... there can be many variables.
I did comment on her grid post as did many, many others but she's now removed the 100's of comments! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 4
God could not agree more! Totally ruined Instagram. I loved some of the influencers before they became influencers 🙄 Before the endless free stuff and fake recommendations to us normos! Once they started getting free holidays dished out left, right and centre, I really got narked. WTF?! It’s always those that clearly have the means to afford it and also those that have multiple holidays. Yep I’m jealous but also fed up at how stupid they, and these companies, think we are. I’ve unfollowed the majority now. Shame as it used to be fun once!

It’s unbearable now. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a sponsored post, has been gifted something, is advertising something nowadays.

The posts I’m most tired of and unfollowed entirely are those IG girls who post unrealistic, stupid set ups of their extravengent baths where they’ve got pizza, a cupcake, 3 books and a candle on their bath tray saying ‘just a cosy night in’. Or they sit on their bed with magazines, a cup of coffee in matching pyjama sets on a ‘regular Sunday morning’. I just feel sorry for them because the effort they must go to to take every single photo must mean their lives are dictated by that.

Then they post things like ‘woke up with a cold and am having a day sat on the sofa watching telly SO HERES A PIC OF ME THREE WEEKS AGO IN IBIZA’ like how about you post a pic from your sofa? THAT’S real life?
Emtalks/ Sheldon does this all the time.

In the frow has been doing campaigns with Bentley and I am like WTF. I don't even know why she advertises them. I am sure that Bentley do not see an increase in sales because of her.

Unfollow people

Those of us that get fed up with it need to vote with our fingers and unfollow Hate watching is still counted as interaction and feeds the algorithm

Unfollow and have an ad free timeline

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree with everything you have said, I'm sick of all the freebees that get given out, but it's so much cheaper for these companies to pay these so called 'influencers' than it is to advertise elsewhere 😡

And the way the followers start with the 'oh you are amazing', 'you so deserve it' 'you look fantastic' when in fact they look hidious etc etc, it really winds me up.

I've un followed alot lately, as soon as they start with the #ad #gifted I'm gone.

Reactions: 3
Yep total piss take! Trying to sell us a life we can't afford, that they're given!! Piss off Susan I don't want a bloody thing you're paid to flog me.

Reactions: 1
Agree one million percent! Instagram used to be so much fun, now it's just full of really fake people advertising (or #pressdiscount grr) really useless tit. I used to feel so motivated by some things on instagram, now I spend my time just unfollowing people who spam me with #ad.... As for the companies who send all this free stuff, they're no longer on my shopping list! No way am I buying something you gave away for free to some idiot who can barely string a coherent sentence together!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Emtalks/ Sheldon does this all the time.

In the frow has been doing campaigns with Bentley and I am like WTF. I don't even know why she advertises them. I am sure that Bentley do not see an increase in sales because of her.
Em Sheldon reaaaally grates on me. She comments on EVERYONES photos too, practically up their arse.

Reactions: 3