What do you do when you see your idol on the tube?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got onto the tube and someone very famous from a very influential band is sat opposite me. I want to thank him for all the fantastic songs he wrote that got me through those tricky teenage years. I still love his music. But what I actually did was typical tube etiquette and read the adverts in stoney silence. Didn't even attempt to make eye contact! No-one else was saying anything to him, FWIW.

Now wondering what I should have done. Was I right to play it cool and let him go about his business or should I have said something?

Reactions: 1
Quick question, was it Jarvis Cocker? Because that exact thing happened me with him and I just silently imploded 😂

Got onto the tube and someone very famous from a very influential band is sat opposite me. I want to thank him for all the fantastic songs he wrote that got me through those tricky teenage years. I still love his music. But what I actually did was typical tube etiquette and read the adverts in stoney silence. Didn't even attempt to make eye contact! No-one else was saying anything to him, FWIW.

Now wondering what I should have done. Was I right to play it cool and let him go about his business or should I have said something?
I think you did the right thing probably. If you said something you might have caused more people to then bother him etc so I’m sure he’d have been glad you didn’t.

Reactions: 2
Quick question, was it Jarvis Cocker? Because that exact thing happened me with him and I just silently imploded 😂
Sadly, it wasn't Jarvis. I may have been unable to play it cool if it had been Jarvis, so hats off to you!

I think you did the right thing probably. If you said something you might have caused more people to then bother him etc so I’m sure he’d have been glad you didn’t.
Yeh, that's kind of what I thought. He wasn't doing a big starry thing with an entourage or anything. Or even giving off rock star vibes. I have seen slebs do this before - literally turn from everyday into superstar by turning on something inside. I guess that's the X factor.

Last edited:
Oh OK, I wasn't trying to be deliberately secretive. I was genuinely interested in what other people would do in a similar situation so I felt who it actually was was irrelevant, if you know what I mean, he just means a lot to me.

But since I cannot stand those threads where people lead you on for pages I will disclose that it was Glen Matlock from the Sex Pistols who wrote most of Never Mind The Bollocks. I bloody loved/still love that album.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Oh OK, I wasn't trying to be deliberately secretive. I was genuinely interested in what other people would do in a similar situation so I felt who it actually was was irrelevant, if you know what I mean, he just means a lot to me.

But since I cannot stand those threads where people lead you on for pages I will disclose that it was Glen Matlock from the Sex Pistols who wrote most of Never Mind The Bollocks. I bloody loved/still love that album.
Omg I would of said something!!! Not subtle me 😂😂

How did you not say anything?! You have more restraint that me 🤣

How did you not say anything?! You have more restraint that me 🤣
I honestly didn't know what to say, which is kinda why I started this thread.

"Oh hi, Glen, I know you've just popped out for a cheeky Nando's but I just wanted to say I think you're fab?"

Any suggestions in case this sort of thing happens again very welcome. I literally brushed past Richard O'Brien once (he was getting off and I was getting on the tube) but obvs that was OK as it was over in a split second. But I was sat opposite Glen for about 4 stops so plenty of time to have said something?!

I'd have been sitting there thinking "I know that face" but not been able to place him.
To be fair I have done that before but I recognised Glen Matlock straight away.

I honestly didn't know what to say, which is kinda why I started this thread.

"Oh hi, Glen, I know you've just popped out for a cheeky Nando's but I just wanted to say I think you're fab?"

Any suggestions in case this sort of thing happens again very welcome. I literally brushed past Richard O'Brien once (he was getting off and I was getting on the tube) but obvs that was OK as it was over in a split second. But I was sat opposite Glen for about 4 stops so plenty of time to have said something?!
It’s hard though isn’t it because you don’t know how they’ll react? I suppose if they use public transport they can’t be that far up their own arse. But who knows 😂 I saw Tony Robinson (Baldrick from Blackadder) once and crossed the road to say hello. My husband was absolutely horrified but I thought sod it! I gave him a huge smile and said ‘Good evening Mr Robinson’ and he smiled back and said ‘Good evening’. I could see he was quite amused. After all, they’re human like the rest of us

I follow a lot of famous people on Instagram and the thing that baffles me is that sometimes is that they instastory on a busyish place and you never see people react to them by shouting or doing a double take to see if it is actually them.

I follow a lot of famous people on Instagram and the thing that baffles me is that sometimes is that they instastory on a busyish place and you never see people react to them by shouting or doing a double take to see if it is actually them.
I think in certain areas people get used to seeing celebs. My dad used to see quite a few when he worked in London but didn’t give a toss 😂