What diets have worked for you?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've got a bit of weight to loose just cause I've got a small frame so I'm a 26 BMI when really I should be more like 22. I eat healthy just too much really. Only need to loose a few kg but worry about getting a saggy face that looks like you're melting.

I've tried intermittent fasting but I just cant do it!! I heard that eating 600 Cal's one day a week then eating breakfast the next day then working out speeds up metabolism but 600 Cal's a day is not what I can do!!

Instead what I'm trying is a veggie and fruit juice for breakfast a couple of days a week. Semi sweet and mostly veg with greens. 1 litre is enough to last me until lunch. Lost 1/3rd of what I need to in a month. duck knows if it will be long term win!!

What have you tried? What works and what failed you??

Glad you posted this as I am starting a diet today
Don’t cut calories drastically it won’t work
Make sure every meal has at least 1/3 veg or fruit- don’t add it on though, swap it for things like carbs
Drink lots of water
Lean meat, reduced fat swaps, frylight
Don’t eat takeaways or ready meals
Juicing won’t help you lose weight

Reactions: 1
All diets work, I've done every diet under the sun and I've lost weight on them all. The issue is how you go on to maintain it. The way to lose weight is to be in calorie deficit. Download an app such as my fitness pal and track your calories and you'll lose weight.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Why won't juicing help loose weight? It's giving your body lots of vitamins and at about 150 cals it's less than breakfast. It's only for breakfast when I have time.

I'm also trying to stop snacking after dinner and leave a reasonable window. No more snacks at 10pm them breakfast at 7am

Why won't juicing help loose weight? It's giving your body lots of vitamins and at about 150 cals it's less than breakfast. It's only for breakfast when I have time.

I'm also trying to stop snacking after dinner and leave a reasonable window. No more snacks at 10pm them breakfast at 7am

It will help you lose weight as you will be in a deficit but if all you had was juices chances are you will be miserable and it will be really difficult to stick to it.

It’s about finding what works for you but ultimately it’s about eating less and moving more

Juicing works, it’s just not maintainable unless you make the commitment to continue juicing several days a week and substituting several meals with juices. It needs to be long lasting commitment otherwise these diets are just a fad really.

Low carb has always worked well for me and very quickly. I try to restrict carbs Monday to Friday and eat whatever I want at weekends carb wise. It doesn’t feel restrictive as high protein and veg is filling. There are so many carb substitutes these days too or low carb options x

Reactions: 4
Juicing works, it’s just not maintainable unless you make the commitment to continue juicing several days a week and substituting several meals with juices. It needs to be long lasting commitment otherwise these diets are just a fad really.

Low carb has always worked well for me and very quickly. I try to restrict carbs Monday to Friday and eat whatever I want at weekends carb wise. It doesn’t feel restrictive as high protein and veg is filling. There are so many carb substitutes these days too or low carb options x
Thank you. Actually I quite like this juicing thing. I've been doing it for a month and it makes me feel good. I don't make it difficult and that I have to do it everyday. But a couple of times a week for breakfast is really working. I can see me doing it long term.

I've been swapping white carbs for quinoa and sweet potato. Only have them rarely as a treat now and I used to love buttered toast, but it just doesn't make you feel good. Rye bread as a treat instead now. I haven't stopped eating saturated fat as lots are saying it's bullshit that it's bad for you and just bad science, like cholesterol.

It will help you lose weight as you will be in a deficit but if all you had was juices chances are you will be miserable and it will be really difficult to stick to it.

It’s about finding what works for you but ultimately it’s about eating less and moving more
Jucing is just for breakfast a couple of times a week, not all the time. That would be crazy!

Reactions: 2
There are so many different diets and different things work for different people, so you just need to see what works for you. The thing you need to figure out is what method makes it easiest for you to consume less calories than you burn. Intermittent fasting might work because it limits the window you eat in. Paleo/Keto/Atkins might work because you cut out food groups. IIFYM might work because you know the caloric value of what you’re eating by tracking everything etc. etc. etc.

If replacing some meals with juices is helping you consume less calories than you’re expending, keep doing it. The juice will help you get important micronutrients your body needs (although juicing will mean you get less fibre than eating the fruit/veg because all the fibre is left in the pulpy bits you throw away - I think...)

Edited to add, you could also think about whether it’s possible for you to increase the calories you burn. That doesn’t necessarily mean going to the gym or doing home workouts, but increasing your NEAT. If you google TDEE it’ll explain the different components (BMR, NEAT, TEF, EAT)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Just count your calories and up your exercise. Simply being mindful of what you are eating is going to keep you in check. If you eat a bit more one day do a bit extra exercise the next day.

I couldn't bring myself to go to weight loss clubs because my mother was weight obsessed and used to weigh us kids in the kitchen every Sunday morning, I'm sure I have PTSD from the trauma of it!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I've got a bit of weight to loose just cause I've got a small frame so I'm a 26 BMI when really I should be more like 22. I eat healthy just too much really. Only need to loose a few kg but worry about getting a saggy face that looks like you're melting.

I've tried intermittent fasting but I just cant do it!! I heard that eating 600 Cal's one day a week then eating breakfast the next day then working out speeds up metabolism but 600 Cal's a day is not what I can do!!

Instead what I'm trying is a veggie and fruit juice for breakfast a couple of days a week. Semi sweet and mostly veg with greens. 1 litre is enough to last me until lunch. Lost 1/3rd of what I need to in a month. duck knows if it will be long term win!!

What have you tried? What works and what failed you??
My fitness pal. It works. I went from BMI of 25.5 down to 22 and it’s not very difficult, ie you don’t have to cut food groups out, although you soon learn to choose healthier options so you’re not running out of calories and starving because you’ve used all your allowance on junk. Good luck!

All diets work as they create a calorie deficit. Whatever you decide to do needs to be sustainable in the long term. I have a tricky relationship with food and I need to be really careful I don’t fall down the hole of counting, weighing, “earning” calories etc etc... My advice would be to be more mindful of what you’re eating. Less unhealthy snacks, more fruit/veg, more water, move more xx Keep it as simple as possible xx Good luck! 🥰

I used My Fitness Pal for three years and lots three stone, in between swimming twice a week! It was great because it didn’t feel like I was missing out, and taught me to make healthier food choices. I’m not as skinny as I want to be but I’m getting there!

Reactions: 3
you really just need to eat healthier things that fill you up...... have you lost weight doing any of the smoothy things? as all the stuff that is persieved as healthy really isnt. Sweet Potato is no different to normal potato. you need to look at all the extras, the oils you are cooking in, the premade food the ketchup and mayo.

you dont need to cut carbs just be aware. for example like a table spoon of olive oil is like the same calories as a chicken breast. So theres me glugging away on my healthy salad haha

Fruit smooties will be full of sugar, albeit natural but not filling.

If you make sure you have balanced meals that fill you, you are unlikely to snack make sue you drink loads of water.

the ONLY way to loose weight is to burn some of it off, do you exercise

Cals in < cals out.
It's the simple.
No silly juicing, shakes, pills or fasting.
Meal prep for at work (do mine on sunday night/monday morning).
Simple swaps. Full fat to reduced fats.
Cut back on sugar. Sweeteners in tea/coffee. If you drink fizzy pop swap to diet.
Have snacks like pom bears, reduced fat baby bells, fruit and crab sticks.
Also fry light, light mayo, fat free natural yogurt and mint sauce mixed in Mack's and amazing dip/salad dressing!
That works for me.
Also if I fancy something sugary I have a diet coke.
No smoothies, might as well eat the fruit whole.
Also a small full spoonful of nutella and milk in the microwave makes amazing dip for fruit.
I always have one great meal a week. Normally on a weekend.
Good luck x

Cals in < cals out.
It's the simple.
No silly juicing, shakes, pills or fasting.
Meal prep for at work (do mine on sunday night/monday morning).
Simple swaps. Full fat to reduced fats.
Cut back on sugar. Sweeteners in tea/coffee. If you drink fizzy pop swap to diet.
Have snacks like pom bears, reduced fat baby bells, fruit and crab sticks.
Also fry light, light mayo, fat free natural yogurt and mint sauce mixed in Mack's and amazing dip/salad dressing!
That works for me.
Also if I fancy something sugary I have a diet coke.
No smoothies, might as well eat the fruit whole.
Also a small full spoonful of nutella and milk in the microwave makes amazing dip for fruit.
I always have one great meal a week. Normally on a weekend.
Good luck x
Wow you eat a LOT of processed food

Alright gillian mckeith. Not like its any of your business I can assure you I dont.

• Haha
Reactions: 4