What are you doing to prepare for your old age?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, imagine I am a bit older than the most of you at 53 (actually think I am too old to be on here!)

At 53 I am now thinking that I need to start preparing for my old age, so have changed slightly what I do:

Excercise - 10 minute yoga in the morning for mobility (just from You tube), walk 30 minutes a day, up hill and fast. Need to do something for my upper body strength so I can get myself out of a chair and a bath, but not keen on weights, what else can I do?

Food - I will always be a meat eater, but will add more veg and keep with the salad during the winter months. Always eat plenty of fruit. I dont take supplements as I eat a balanced diet.

Water - drink gallons a day

Drink - never a big drinker, only a couple on a Friday or Saturday but now have decided just to drink when out or at parties.

Read and chill out more.

What else can I add in to ensure that I can keep moving and have a life and not an existance?

Many thanks

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You are only 53....! You have 25+ years ahead of you before you hit “old age” - just live your life, eat well, regular exercise, hobbies that you enjoy and spend time doing things you love.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You are only 53....! You have 25+ years ahead of you before you hit “old age” - just live your life, eat well, regular exercise, hobbies that you enjoy and spend time doing things you love.
Exactly! Age is just a number, you're as young as you feel. Blimey, I'm planning on working until they carry me out in a box, I'm not planning on anything for old age just yet and I'm older than OP 🤣 I shall continue to grow older as disgracefully as possible while I'm at it too!

Reactions: 3
I love this! I work with old people and everyday I tell myself the things I will/won’t do to be an ideal old person 😂 one thing especially is it is SO important to take care of your feet!!!! I’ll sound like a bore but the correct footwear and treatments will really help you out- having poor or sore feet which then requires you to rest them will mean you’re more likely to lose the ability to walk, it’s a bit of a vicious cycle really.

Reactions: 7
I love this! I work with old people and everyday I tell myself the things I will/won’t do to be an ideal old person 😂 one thing especially is it is SO important to take care of your feet!!!! I’ll sound like a bore but the correct footwear and treatments will really help you out- having poor or sore feet which then requires you to rest them will mean you’re more likely to lose the ability to walk, it’s a bit of a vicious cycle really.
I agree with this. I used to work as a care assistant in a residential home, some of the women had really defomed toes - bent completely out of shape, because they wore shoes with pointed toes when they were young.

Exactly! Age is just a number, you're as young as you feel. Blimey, I'm planning on working until they carry me out in a box, I'm not planning on anything for old age just yet and I'm older than OP 🤣 I shall continue to grow older as disgracefully as possible while I'm at it too!
I'm glad I'm not the only wrinkly on here! Seriously though, none of us are too old to use this forum, so far it has been somewhat educational, and that can't be bad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’ve been having Botox since I was 21. I’m now 30. Prevention is better than cure 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Feet - that's a good one. That older generation of women would have worn stilettos full time. As least we mixed it up a bit with trainers, women of that generation would rarely have worn them if at all.

It's so important to keep an open mind and learn new things as well.

Don't let technology get the better of you.

Off to do my morning yoga from You Tube

There's a good saying along the lines of 'invest in everything that separates you from the floor'.

Shoes, chairs and mattress should all be the best you can afford. I think lockdown has shown the importance of a good chair to work from! I've got some absolutely vile looking Reebok trainers that would leave Gok Wan recoiling in terror ( I'm actually embarrassed when I'm out in them and try to hide my feet 😂) but it feels like I have tiny clouds strapped to my feet when I walk in them!

Oh, and agree with everyone above- spinal health is so important. Gentle stretches and teaching yourself to roll down a vertebrae at a time is great.

And keeping each area of your brain engaged is so important. Things that involve you to think and do simultaneously are great- so reading music and playing an instrument is a fab way to keep that grey matter active!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Botox... I’m early 30’s and I started to notice lines lasting a few seconds on my forehead after frowning. Best thing I have done, I am a beauty junkie but nothing compares to the results of Botox.

Blimey, I must be the old lady of this forum at 64, but I still feel 34 😎. You'll be able to tell from my posts that I'm not allowing myself to grow old.

Anyway, I finished working three years ago to enjoy life as much as I can, go on holiday whenever possible and take one day at a time, meet up with friends and when we're away I find extra energy to walk and walk, exploring everywhere we go.

I enjoy housework, reading, crossword puzzles, knitting, cross stitch, dining out and gin!!!

I've never had botox and never would, but find that ROC is a great night cream that works like an iron minimising the wrinkles. No idea how it works, but love it.

Reactions: 6
Hi, imagine I am a bit older than the most of you at 53 (actually think I am too old to be on here!)

At 53 I am now thinking that I need to start preparing for my old age, so have changed slightly what I do:

Excercise - 10 minute yoga in the morning for mobility (just from You tube), walk 30 minutes a day, up hill and fast. Need to do something for my upper body strength so I can get myself out of a chair and a bath, but not keen on weights, what else can I do?

Food - I will always be a meat eater, but will add more veg and keep with the salad during the winter months. Always eat plenty of fruit. I dont take supplements as I eat a balanced diet.

Water - drink gallons a day

Drink - never a big drinker, only a couple on a Friday or Saturday but now have decided just to drink when out or at parties.

Read and chill out more.

What else can I add in to ensure that I can keep moving and have a life and not an existance?

Many thanks
I am 55 and I love it here. I’m not going anywhere. 🤣

I have drunk at least 6/8 glasses of water a day for the past 20 years and my skin is rather good for my age. I don’t wear make-up much either and have not worn foundation since I was early 30’s.

Exercise is mostly walking or gardening, which I am happy with for now. I would like to get back to doing horse riding. Finding riding schools is not easy though, so that may have to wait a bit longer.

I no longer drink much in the way of alcohol, but the exception is the odd cocktail or two, especially when on holiday, or away.