Weight Loss Surgery

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all šŸ˜Š

Iā€™m at the stage in life where Iā€™m seriously contemplating surgery to lose weight. Iā€™m currently 12 stone overweight and am petrified that one day I just wonā€™t wake up with being this fat; with this in mind Iā€™ve arrived at this decision from a pure health angle rather than a more vanity-based one. Iā€™ve yoyoed back and forth for as many years as I can remember with little success and thatā€™s dwindled to zero success this year, followed by gaining 2.5 - 3 stone during lockdown.
Iā€™m going to fund the surgery myself and cost isnā€™t an issue (sorry if that sounds crass but Iā€™m trying to give as much info as possible to hopefully get as many responses to weigh up as I can).

So my questions to everyone are:
Have any of you had surgery for weight loss purposes? What did you have? Cost? Which provider did you go with?
Please donā€™t hold back, especially if youā€™ve had negative experiences. I want to know as much as possible from people whoā€™ve been through it or know folk whoā€™ve had some kind of weight loss surgery. I only know two people whoā€™ve been through it and both of their experiences have been glowingly positive and thatā€™s not a bad thing in itself but if there have been any downsides Iā€™d like to take them on board as well.

Thanks for reading x

Reactions: 1
Hey all šŸ˜Š

Iā€™m at the stage in life where Iā€™m seriously contemplating surgery to lose weight. Iā€™m currently 12 stone overweight and am petrified that one day I just wonā€™t wake up with being this fat; with this in mind Iā€™ve arrived at this decision from a pure health angle rather than a more vanity-based one. Iā€™ve yoyoed back and forth for as many years as I can remember with little success and thatā€™s dwindled to zero success this year, followed by gaining 2.5 - 3 stone during lockdown.
Iā€™m going to fund the surgery myself and cost isnā€™t an issue (sorry if that sounds crass but Iā€™m trying to give as much info as possible to hopefully get as many responses to weigh up as I can).

So my questions to everyone are:
Have any of you had surgery for weight loss purposes? What did you have? Cost? Which provider did you go with?
Please donā€™t hold back, especially if youā€™ve had negative experiences. I want to know as much as possible from people whoā€™ve been through it or know folk whoā€™ve had some kind of weight loss surgery. I only know two people whoā€™ve been through it and both of their experiences have been glowingly positive and thatā€™s not a bad thing in itself but if there have been any downsides Iā€™d like to take them on board as well.

Thanks for reading x
I had weight loss surgery 10 years ago and it was one of the best and worst things I've done in my life. I lost 11 stone over the course of 18 months as a result of a gastric band and yes it does work but the emotional side of it has screwed me up so much. Im an emotional eater that binges and my crutch was removed overnight and I continued to binge and vomit so it effectively rendered me bulimic without the actual bulimia if that makes sense. At night I have to make myself sick because I reflux in my sleep and have inhaled my vomit a lot and have had pneumonia as a result. I ended up getting it loosened because I developed malnutrition and such bad anaemia that if someone touched me I would bruise. My thick head of hair is now thin and whispy and owing to the loosening of the band to enable me to eat more and maintain health i have gained 4 stone. It is a constant emotional mess up and I still am binging and purging 10 years on but I'm too scared to remove it because I know ill regain it all but at the same time I feel pain with everything I eat. However I wouldn't have been able to lose the weight through diet alone and in spite of the 4 stone re-gain im happier with how I look.

The whys, where and how much... i had joined weight watchers for the 10th time and vowed I would get surgery if this time failed. It cost 6k 10 years ago and I went to Dr Mark Foquet in Belgium. They were pretty good, i think he did Vanessa Feltz too haha. Plesse ask anything, I'm an open book. Good luck and don't rush into it. Sending loads of love xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi, i had a gastric sleeve back in January so very new to it and still in the honeymoon phase I guess. Since then I've lost 6 stone and have a BMI of 23. I have 10bs to go until my goal.

I went privately and it cost 10k, with the National Obesity Surgery. I went with them as they offer lots of support.

The surgery itself was fine, although one of my stiches was just above my belly button and so right in the flab crease. This was soo painful when I came round from surgery, and my first words to my poor bf was "I regret this, I wish I hadn't done it!"
Due to the positioning it kept rubbing and opening up, which was fairly painful even when covered up with the correct plasters etc. There was literally nothing that could be done until the weight had been lost and I no longer had that flab crease. Up until recently, it was still giving me gip. Sorry if this is yucky, but after I reached and stretched for something a load of pus came out. But it was clear and didn't smell, so no infection. Touch wood it is now behaving itself and have no issues. Other people have had no issues at all with their incisions, so I may have just been the unlucky one.

After the surgery you have to inject yourself daily to help thin the blood i think it was. They sting a little bit but were fine. Something to think about if you don't do needles!

Yes the hair loss...that was a bit distressing. Handfuls would be coming out, even though I was taking my vitamins and eating lots of protein. But at around month 5 it suddenly stops.

For a good few months after the surgery, after I ate or drank anything I would feel sick. Was never actually sick but had to go to a bathroom and spit until it passed.....glamorous!!

I can't drink plain water as that still makes me want to vomit, however if I add squash its fine. Apparently this is quite common! You would think plain water would be fine, but no!!

Committed to a lifetime of medication - daily vitamins, calcium and iron. Plus injections every 3 months for b12. The 2 weeks before my injection is due I am absolutely exhausted, could easily sleep at my desk at 3pm.

And this may be too much info, but hey ho! Due to the iron tablets you are taking, your poo takes on a greenish colour and you can be quite constipated regularly- not ideal when you are visiting somewhere.

I get food envy due to how much restriction you have. i do sometimes fill my side plate up far too much and then have to put half of it back. Eyes still bigger than my stomach and sometimes it feels quite disappointing uou can't eat more, especially when you have had a tit day. Really need to look at the whole emotional eating.

Your food choices have to be based around protein. Because you eat so little, when you cook you have leftovers for the next few days, which isn't ideal if you get bored of having the same meal. But on the plus side, you cook less and have to meal plan less.

Eating out is tough. It is fine with my partner as he is aware of my surgery. I havent told anyone else, so I really hate going out for a meal and leaving lots of food even if I order a starter. I feel dreadful about wasting the meal they have bought, so have to give it to him to eat. On the plus side 1 restraunt meal can do you for another 3/4 meals at home so you are a cheap date!

No eating and drinking at the same time. Sounds like it should be easy, i find it difficult!

Loose and excess skin is an issue. Still have self esteem issues due to this. Looks fine in clothes, out of them not so good! I'm looking into a tummy tuck, arm lift and thigh lift which of course is more money and surgery. Oh and shopping for new clothes! More money!!

But taking everything into consideration I am glad I got it done. I was fed up of the binging and then going on a shake diet, binging, shake diet etc. I feel so much better in myself, both mentally and physically. (Barring the loose baggy skin). I exercise daily and make good food choices most of the time. I do eat chocolate, ice cream etc. But 2 or 3 times a week and a tiny portion to satisfy.

I realise I am still very early days when it is the easiest time to lose the weight. The tough times will be the maintenance.

Sorry that is an absolute essay! Any other questions, let me know! Xx

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi, i had a gastric sleeve back in January so very new to it and still in the honeymoon phase I guess. Since then I've lost 6 stone and have a BMI of 23. I have 10bs to go until my goal.

I went privately and it cost 10k, with the National Obesity Surgery. I went with them as they offer lots of support.

The surgery itself was fine, although one of my stiches was just above my belly button and so right in the flab crease. This was soo painful when I came round from surgery, and my first words to my poor bf was "I regret this, I wish I hadn't done it!"
Due to the positioning it kept rubbing and opening up, which was fairly painful even when covered up with the correct plasters etc. There was literally nothing that could be done until the weight had been lost and I no longer had that flab crease. Up until recently, it was still giving me gip. Sorry if this is yucky, but after I reached and stretched for something a load of pus came out. But it was clear and didn't smell, so no infection. Touch wood it is now behaving itself and have no issues. Other people have had no issues at all with their incisions, so I may have just been the unlucky one.

After the surgery you have to inject yourself daily to help thin the blood i think it was. They sting a little bit but were fine. Something to think about if you don't do needles!

Yes the hair loss...that was a bit distressing. Handfuls would be coming out, even though I was taking my vitamins and eating lots of protein. But at around month 5 it suddenly stops.

For a good few months after the surgery, after I ate or drank anything I would feel sick. Was never actually sick but had to go to a bathroom and spit until it passed.....glamorous!!

I can't drink plain water as that still makes me want to vomit, however if I add squash its fine. Apparently this is quite common! You would think plain water would be fine, but no!!

Committed to a lifetime of medication - daily vitamins, calcium and iron. Plus injections every 3 months for b12. The 2 weeks before my injection is due I am absolutely exhausted, could easily sleep at my desk at 3pm.

And this may be too much info, but hey ho! Due to the iron tablets you are taking, your poo takes on a greenish colour and you can be quite constipated regularly- not ideal when you are visiting somewhere.

I get food envy due to how much restriction you have. i do sometimes fill my side plate up far too much and then have to put half of it back. Eyes still bigger than my stomach and sometimes it feels quite disappointing uou can't eat more, especially when you have had a tit day. Really need to look at the whole emotional eating.

Your food choices have to be based around protein. Because you eat so little, when you cook you have leftovers for the next few days, which isn't ideal if you get bored of having the same meal. But on the plus side, you cook less and have to meal plan less.

Eating out is tough. It is fine with my partner as he is aware of my surgery. I havent told anyone else, so I really hate going out for a meal and leaving lots of food even if I order a starter. I feel dreadful about wasting the meal they have bought, so have to give it to him to eat. On the plus side 1 restraunt meal can do you for another 3/4 meals at home so you are a cheap date!

No eating and drinking at the same time. Sounds like it should be easy, i find it difficult!

Loose and excess skin is an issue. Still have self esteem issues due to this. Looks fine in clothes, out of them not so good! I'm looking into a tummy tuck, arm lift and thigh lift which of course is more money and surgery. Oh and shopping for new clothes! More money!!

But taking everything into consideration I am glad I got it done. I was fed up of the binging and then going on a shake diet, binging, shake diet etc. I feel so much better in myself, both mentally and physically. (Barring the loose baggy skin). I exercise daily and make good food choices most of the time. I do eat chocolate, ice cream etc. But 2 or 3 times a week and a tiny portion to satisfy.

I realise I am still very early days when it is the easiest time to lose the weight. The tough times will be the maintenance.

Sorry that is an absolute essay! Any other questions, let me know! Xx
My hubby and parents are the only ones who know I've had it so I totally get the eating out thing, it's such a pain. Christmas Dinner is a lot of fun.... šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

• Heart
Oh no, I hadn't even though of that! any tips?!
I claim ive spent the morning eating junk, dish a small dinner as result and arrange a tactical trip to 'the other room' for something (my parents freezer and drinks fridge is in the shed outside) I run to get a can of fizzy out and have a bag waiting to puke in. Also, take loads of teeny mouthfuls and make a big thing of doing this, it gives the illusion that you are stuffing your face. If you suffer a spasm, just say you swallowed air . It's so tricky xx

@Thechubbymoaner @Sorry..

Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully! I appreciate you both giving so much information and explaining things really clearly.

Emotional eating is something Iā€™m really going to have to focus on because food is without a doubt my crutch, whether for positive celebrations or for comfort on bad days itā€™s all dealt with by food and drink so Iā€™ll definitely look into managing that as of now!
The hair thinning is a personal concern I must admit. In the most vain way possible, sorry to say. I had massive hair loss after having my little one in 2018 and itā€™s only just settling back to normal so Iā€™m glad you both brought that up as itā€™s nothing I ever wouldā€™ve considered, though good to know itā€™s not necessarily a permanent change.
Thank you both also for mentioning how much of an emotional change you both went through. Again, not something Iā€™d fully considered further than ā€˜doing this will make me happyā€™ but honestly I know itā€™s going to be a massive overhaul of mind as well as body. Iā€™ve always been fat, Iā€™ve never known a size 12 (not since I was about 14!), my humour is making fun of my own size, I know people see me in the street and will immediately form a thought based on my weight, I donā€™t particularly enjoy leaving the house because Iā€™m frankly embarrassed and itā€™s just exhausting to exist some days at this size. While I know that losing the weight will be positive in the long term from a health perspective I have often considered if I will change for the better emotionally too; I worry that I wonā€™t fully shed the inner monologue of being the overweight girl Iā€™ve been forever if that makes any sense at all?

I do have another question, a boring one about work. Iā€™m literally sat at a desk doing computer work all day, sometimes Iā€™ll have to grab some paper to print a few bits out but thatā€™s the extent of it. However, as my partner works nights Iā€™m responsible for dropping toddler to daycare, driving errands, doing the food shopping etc. May I please know what your jobs involve and how long you had to stay off for? And how long you needed taking care of at home post-op (if at all)? My boss is easygoing in fairness and my partner can take leave at pretty short notice if necessary itā€™s just to get things in line in my own mind by means of early planning.

I hope youā€™ve both had good Mondays and wow Iā€™ve rambled again, Iā€™m sorry, but thank you both once more so so much for responding and being so open and helpful. I appreciate it so much and youā€™ve both really helped me to see more sides and consider things Iā€™d not thought of before x

• Heart
@Thechubbymoaner @Sorry..

Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully! I appreciate you both giving so much information and explaining things really clearly.

Emotional eating is something Iā€™m really going to have to focus on because food is without a doubt my crutch, whether for positive celebrations or for comfort on bad days itā€™s all dealt with by food and drink so Iā€™ll definitely look into managing that as of now!
The hair thinning is a personal concern I must admit. In the most vain way possible, sorry to say. I had massive hair loss after having my little one in 2018 and itā€™s only just settling back to normal so Iā€™m glad you both brought that up as itā€™s nothing I ever wouldā€™ve considered, though good to know itā€™s not necessarily a permanent change.
Thank you both also for mentioning how much of an emotional change you both went through. Again, not something Iā€™d fully considered further than ā€˜doing this will make me happyā€™ but honestly I know itā€™s going to be a massive overhaul of mind as well as body. Iā€™ve always been fat, Iā€™ve never known a size 12 (not since I was about 14!), my humour is making fun of my own size, I know people see me in the street and will immediately form a thought based on my weight, I donā€™t particularly enjoy leaving the house because Iā€™m frankly embarrassed and itā€™s just exhausting to exist some days at this size. While I know that losing the weight will be positive in the long term from a health perspective I have often considered if I will change for the better emotionally too; I worry that I wonā€™t fully shed the inner monologue of being the overweight girl Iā€™ve been forever if that makes any sense at all?

I do have another question, a boring one about work. Iā€™m literally sat at a desk doing computer work all day, sometimes Iā€™ll have to grab some paper to print a few bits out but thatā€™s the extent of it. However, as my partner works nights Iā€™m responsible for dropping toddler to daycare, driving errands, doing the food shopping etc. May I please know what your jobs involve and how long you had to stay off for? And how long you needed taking care of at home post-op (if at all)? My boss is easygoing in fairness and my partner can take leave at pretty short notice if necessary itā€™s just to get things in line in my own mind by means of early planning.

I hope youā€™ve both had good Mondays and wow Iā€™ve rambled again, Iā€™m sorry, but thank you both once more so so much for responding and being so open and helpful. I appreciate it so much and youā€™ve both really helped me to see more sides and consider things Iā€™d not thought of before x
Hello lovely, you are so so welcome. Please ramble away, ask anything and say as you wish and don't apologise, it's a massive thing that you are thinking of doing and its totally lifechanging. Hair loss is something I do suffer periodically so I think its not helped by the surgery but its not the sole cause of it, and I think if you keep up to scratch with your supplements you'll be ok.

I totally understand how you feel about having always been big. 10 years on and I'm still of the mindset that I'm the big girl. I remember seeing my reflection in a shop window and thinking there was something weird going on and couldn't believe it was me. The same in photos, not recognising myself in photos. One family member asked if my mum had had another child in secret and they got reunited as they couldn't believe it was me. The fat girl feel I think will always be there but it's something I need to work on.

Work wise, I was doing a PhD at the time and I had the surgery on a Thursday, flew back Friday and was back in the office on Monday. It was very sedentary lab based work and nothing bad, no heavy lifting or anything and kept it easy going. A few weeks later I was out on the town again.

One thing I forgot is with the band...so weird. If we are experiencing thundery weather it affects my tummy and I find the restriction is more intense. The same happens on a plane. Really weird.

I know I've painted a very negative picture of all this but after I posted yesterday and reflected on it, if I knew then what I know now would I have gone ahead with it... absolutely!

Please ask anything you wish, and please don't hold back, anything at all to help xxx

• Heart
Hello! I had a gastric bypass in 2018. I had it done privately, with the bariatric group. Their support has been pretty poor tbh, I really got the feeling they are a business and not that worried about results as long as they get their money!
That said, the surgery changed my life. Iā€™ve lost 9 stone and more importantly, kept that weight off. That was the thing that I couldnā€™t do, Iā€™d lose a few stone then lose my mojo and gain it, plus more, back. This tool has totally changed my relationship with food, I am actually amazed how much it has helped my ā€œhead hungerā€
As I have a bypass, I do get dumping if I eat too much sugar or I have found, If I drink too fast after eating. I donā€™t have a sweet tooth so donā€™t often get it as I donā€™t eat a lot of chocolate or sweets but I do have to be carful with ā€œhiddenā€ sugars in yoghurts or even fruit at timeā€™s. Also randomly, Iā€™ve found that full fat cheese can cause dumping for me, discovered after a meal out and a mad dash for the toilet which was fun-not! It is trial and error, even at 2 years out.
I had this surgery because I needed help and I was exhausted with trying to lose weight, my unhappiness dominated my life but I just couldnā€™t break the cycle and my food addiction. This surgery has given me the tool to do that.
I had 4 weeks off work (an office job as well) I have a child and husband who works shifts so we ended up staying with my parents for a few weeks so I could get help. I think 4 weeks was more than enough time, I was told that was the time I was being signed off for by a doctor without any questions so I just went with it! My friend who had the same operation as me was back at work after 2 weeks as she wasnā€™t signed off so it does differ.
Sorry, Iā€™ve done an essay now too!
Oh and I thought I had escaped hair loss as I didnā€™t get it post partum and I got to 6 months post op without any...but boy then it hit. I have very thick hair and it wasnā€™t noticeable but it is hard. But I would 1000% take it for the benefits Iā€™ve gained! And finally, I do have loose skin but it doesnā€™t bother me! Iā€™d like my boobs done but Iā€™m not that fussed!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Not at all! Its such a big life changing operation, so there is loads to think about.

The emotional eating is such a witch. It may be worth speaking to a therapist about that side of things if you are really concerned about it? As fantastic as the WLS surgery is, it isn't a magic wand and is a tool to help with the weight loss.

I must admit I did shed a few tears about the amount of hair in the brush, plughole etc. (Vanity!) But it was also a brilliant reminder of how vital it is to eat correctly. I used to think if I'm eating what I should be, and my hair is falling out, how much would I be losing if I was eating rubbish?!

The overweight fat girl monologue is still an issue for me. I lived in leggings and mens jumpers from Supermarkets. I always felt that because I was fat, I shouldn't be allowed to wear what I call "normal clothes". I finally went shopping recently, and bought "normal clothes!" But I find myself still in leggings and baggy tops as I still don't feel like i should be wearing them, and if I should it should be for "going out" rather than just everyday wear. Which is messed up thinking and has the bf rolling his eyes and muttering about spending the weekend shopping and not seeing any of it. From reading about other people experiences, it takes time for your mind to catch up with your body. Which is odd as you look at your body every day and can see it changing. The mind is a funny thing. I still suffer from self esteem issues, and see problem areas, (baggy skin) so I think sometimes the negative thoughts don't go away and simply move to another issue. So yes you will change emotionally but unlikely you will suddenly overnight be 100% happy with yourself. But you will be happier! I promise! Its not all doom and gloom, just thinks its important to get an honest perspective.

Oh the recovery! What a joy! You stay in for one night at the hospital, unless any issues.
I took 2 weeks off work as you are knackered after the surgery, amd can't drive for about 10 days. I went to lie down in my bed that second night....big mistake. I was very sore and it was agony to get myself upright. I felt, and probably looked like a beached whale. I spent a week in a recliner downstairs which was bliss. It was still painful to get out of my bed though, but I think it was more down to the incision I mentioned above. You won't be able to lift anything heavy for aboit 6-8 weeks, so you won't be able to pick your toddler up, or carry heavy shopping. You also need to walk as soon as you can. I did 10 mins at a time, and was hunched over, and overtaken by old ladies. But it helps with flushing the anaesthetic out and reducing the risk of DVT. I also did a desk job, with minimal walking, driving to work and was fine after the 2 weeks.

Happy to help, there is so much to consider and weigh up. X ask away!

Not at all! Its such a big life changing operation, so there is loads to think about.

The emotional eating is such a witch. It may be worth speaking to a therapist about that side of things if you are really concerned about it? As fantastic as the WLS surgery is, it isn't a magic wand and is a tool to help with the weight loss.

I must admit I did shed a few tears about the amount of hair in the brush, plughole etc. (Vanity!) But it was also a brilliant reminder of how vital it is to eat correctly. I used to think if I'm eating what I should be, and my hair is falling out, how much would I be losing if I was eating rubbish?!

The overweight fat girl monologue is still an issue for me. I lived in leggings and mens jumpers from Supermarkets. I always felt that because I was fat, I shouldn't be allowed to wear what I call "normal clothes". I finally went shopping recently, and bought "normal clothes!" But I find myself still in leggings and baggy tops as I still don't feel like i should be wearing them, and if I should it should be for "going out" rather than just everyday wear. Which is messed up thinking and has the bf rolling his eyes and muttering about spending the weekend shopping and not seeing any of it. From reading about other people experiences, it takes time for your mind to catch up with your body. Which is odd as you look at your body every day and can see it changing. The mind is a funny thing. I still suffer from self esteem issues, and see problem areas, (baggy skin) so I think sometimes the negative thoughts don't go away and simply move to another issue. So yes you will change emotionally but unlikely you will suddenly overnight be 100% happy with yourself. But you will be happier! I promise! Its not all doom and gloom, just thinks its important to get an honest perspective.

Oh the recovery! What a joy! You stay in for one night at the hospital, unless any issues.
I took 2 weeks off work as you are knackered after the surgery, amd can't drive for about 10 days. I went to lie down in my bed that second night....big mistake. I was very sore and it was agony to get myself upright. I felt, and probably looked like a beached whale. I spent a week in a recliner downstairs which was bliss. It was still painful to get out of my bed though, but I think it was more down to the incision I mentioned above. You won't be able to lift anything heavy for aboit 6-8 weeks, so you won't be able to pick your toddler up, or carry heavy shopping. You also need to walk as soon as you can. I did 10 mins at a time, and was hunched over, and overtaken by old ladies. But it helps with flushing the anaesthetic out and reducing the risk of DVT. I also did a desk job, with minimal walking, driving to work and was fine after the 2 weeks.

Happy to help, there is so much to consider and weigh up. X ask away!
I was going to say the same and forgot about having some therapy about the emotional eating, such a good idea!

• Heart
Hoping to bump this thread a bit, seems like more and more people are going down the weight loss surgery route and getting amazing results! It is very appealing to me to be able to get full after a small portion, so hard constantly thinking about food and feeling like you can eat so much to feel full.

Hoping to bump this thread a bit, seems like more and more people are going down the weight loss surgery route and getting amazing results! It is very appealing to me to be able to get full after a small portion, so hard constantly thinking about food and feeling like you can eat so much to feel full.
Honestly I think it's down to the person themselves an the work they put into it, I know of two that got surgery an had the gastric band fitted an both are bigger now than they ever were, they can eat small but they are still eating all the wrong foods an just eating more during the day as well as doing nothing

Honestly I think it's down to the person themselves an the work they put into it, I know of two that got surgery an had the gastric band fitted an both are bigger now than they ever were, they can eat small but they are still eating all the wrong foods an just eating more during the day as well as doing nothing
I work in this particular area for the nhs and WLS only works if the individual has dealt with the emotional side as to why the weight gain occurred in the first place
It could be childhood issues , binging , family issues , whatever it is , they have to have made peace with it or find some coping solution to go forward otherwise they will undo all the surgery
Also itā€™s not all Rainbow and puppies as what people make it out to be , I see a lot of the go wrong side to it wether itā€™s constant vomiting from it , becoming extremely skinny as the nutrient absorption has gone wrong , ulcers and pain along the anastomosis site

Reactions: 2
I work in this particular area for the nhs and WLS only works if the individual has dealt with the emotional side as to why the weight gain occurred in the first place
It could be childhood issues , binging , family issues , whatever it is , they have to have made peace with it or find some coping solution to go forward otherwise they will undo all the surgery
Also itā€™s not all Rainbow and puppies as what people make it out to be , I see a lot of the go wrong side to it wether itā€™s constant vomiting from it , becoming extremely skinny as the nutrient absorption has gone wrong , ulcers and pain along the anastomosis site
Exactly, I think it's so important you get the right kind of counselling with it, it's a huge chance mentally an physically an getting the right support can make a huge difference in how you will cope with it

Sometimes I think some people feel like it's some magic wand that instantly will make them slim, but if you don't get to the root of the problem as well as help yourself out then it won't do anything, it's only a stepping stone in helping you, not a instant cure

• Heart
Exactly, I think it's so important you get the right kind of counselling with it, it's a huge chance mentally an physically an getting the right support can make a huge difference in how you will cope with it

Sometimes I think some people feel like it's some magic wand that instantly will make them slim, but if you don't get to the root of the problem as well as help yourself out then it won't do anything, it's only a stepping stone in helping you, not a instant cure
I seriously considered WLS a few years ago as I saw it as the 'easy option' for weight loss. I just didn't know enough about it. Then I watched some YouTube videos of women who had had gastric sleeves and they were talking about how much medication they had to take and that they'd be on that medication for life most likely, as well as all the side effects they were suffering, e.g. severe acid reflux, nausea, etc. Some of them were also dealing with regain too.

But at the same time, there were some incredible success stories of people who had completely turned their lives around. It was a really helpful way of seeing real life benefits and drawbacks of WLS. I just don't think WLS is for me personally, but best of luck to anyone here going ahead with it.

I seriously considered WLS a few years ago as I saw it as the 'easy option' for weight loss. I just didn't know enough about it. Then I watched some YouTube videos of women who had had gastric sleeves and they were talking about how much medication they had to take and that they'd be on that medication for life most likely, as well as all the side effects they were suffering, e.g. severe acid reflux, nausea, etc. Some of them were also dealing with regain too.

But at the same time, there were some incredible success stories of people who had completely turned their lives around. It was a really helpful way of seeing real life benefits and drawbacks of WLS. I just don't think WLS is for me personally, but best of luck to anyone here going ahead with it.
Don't get me wrong, I've definitely seen some people have massive success with it, but I do know they still have to work towards making it work an that's where I see some fail, they don't realise you still need to actually diet an workout when you have it, but honestly good for those that's managed to make it work for them when it's definitely not a easy thing