Weight loss surgery - supporting a loved one

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going to be the primary carer for a loved one who is having a sleeve gastrectomy in the near future.

I'll be staying with them at hospital following the procedure then bringing them home. We're going abroad so will have wheelchair assistance at the airport coming home.

Aside from the usual advocating for them, helping to and from the loo, retaining info from consultants if they're out of it, ensuring they're warm and comfortable and that their pain is managed, does anyone have any specific advice who has acted as a carer in this way? Or has anyone had the surgery who can advise on their experience and what sort of help they needed etc?

N.B. I'm not looking to start a debate on weight loss surgery by posting this thread.

Thank you!

I had a gastric bypass about 18 months ago and to be honest I had very little pain. After surgery I was up within 24hours and physio had me walking the stairs within 2 days. I had mine locally so can't advise about travel but a pillow between the seatbelt and my tummy was an essential for the drive home. It's very important that the patient doesn't overdo it activity wise but it's also important to take small regular walks. I decided to hoover the living room a week after my surgery and definitely pulled something internally. That was more painful than the surgery!! I found myself to be very tired on and off after surgery so would drift off to sleep quite regularly so that's to be expected. Best of luck to your family member. They're lucky to have your support. Best thing I ever did for myself was having the surgery. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had a gastric bypass about 18 months ago and to be honest I had very little pain. After surgery I was up within 24hours and physio had me walking the stairs within 2 days. I had mine locally so can't advise about travel but a pillow between the seatbelt and my tummy was an essential for the drive home. It's very important that the patient doesn't overdo it activity wise but it's also important to take small regular walks. I decided to hoover the living room a week after my surgery and definitely pulled something internally. That was more painful than the surgery!! I found myself to be very tired on and off after surgery so would drift off to sleep quite regularly so that's to be expected. Best of luck to your family member. They're lucky to have your support. Best thing I ever did for myself was having the surgery. ❤
Thank you so much for your reply and the advice. I'm really glad to hear you had a good experience and that you're happy with the result! 😊