Wedding planning #2 sponsored by our opinionated MILs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

I found this video useful for planning hen parties and for games etc 🙂

Right, my partner and I, we don't want a honeymoon fund, we don't want to run around John lewis and scan things we don't really need, there is a project we want to do in the house and everything we need for it can come from the range or b&q, would it be cheeky if people ask us what we want for gifts to just ask for gift vouchers for b&q or the range instead?
My parents have paid for our honeymoon as our wedding gift and we don’t need anything but people keep insisting so we’ve just said if you must, cash for the honeymoon. They don’t need to know it’s paid for already.

Reactions: 2
Hi all , keen for some advice from you wedding planning gurus if I can !

My husband and I got married in October 2020 with only our parents and our son present due to lockdown restrictions . I was fine with this , in fact I was already having bridesmaid drama and we hadn’t even done much planning yet (one of these girls is now no longer my friend !!) . However , we live in my husband’s hometown and he has lots of friends and family around him and was a bit saddened to reduce the wedding . We still have our wedding fund (around £10k) sitting in a savings account and this week he has broached the idea of having a “blessing” of our marriage on our 3 year anniversary and then the reception we were planning before the lockdowns came .

I’m really on the fence about it , as much as I’d like my sister, close friends and his family to celebrate our wedding as they didn’t get the chance when we really tied the knot , part of me just can’t be arsed … it’s a lot of money (we have just moved house and I’d rather have a new kitchen tbh !) , he would do none of the planning so it would all fall on me . Have any of you been to these sort of Covid wedding celebrations post the lockdown ? Do you think they’re necessary or just a bit of a waste of money ?

My husband and I got married in October 2020 with only our parents and our son present due to lockdown restrictions . I was fine with this , in fact I was already having bridesmaid drama and we hadn’t even done much planning yet (one of these girls is now no longer my friend !!) . However , we live in my husband’s hometown and he has lots of friends and family around him and was a bit saddened to reduce the wedding . We still have our wedding fund (around £10k) sitting in a savings account and this week he has broached the idea of having a “blessing” of our marriage on our 3 year anniversary and then the reception we were planning before the lockdowns came .

I’m really on the fence about it , as much as I’d like my sister, close friends and his family to celebrate our wedding as they didn’t get the chance when we really tied the knot , part of me just can’t be arsed … it’s a lot of money (we have just moved house and I’d rather have a new kitchen tbh !) , he would do none of the planning so it would all fall on me . Have any of you been to these sort of Covid wedding celebrations post the lockdown ? Do you think they’re necessary or just a bit of a waste of money ?
We’re actually going to a wedding today, they are already married like you they got married in lockdown with just a couple of people, it’s cost them 20k😵 if it’s something you both really want then I would say go for it, but if you’re not so keen can you do it on a budget in a village hall or something like that?

• Wow
Reactions: 1

Could you maybe meet in the middle and do half of that? So instead of a blessing and a reception, just have a reception party instead. Then you could make that as formal/informal expensive/inexpensive as you wanted.

I think I’d be with you on this one, I don’t think I could be bothered and I’d rather spend the money on something else now that you’re already married anyway.

My brother and SIL got married in July 2020 and they could have only the church part with 30 people (including them, the vicar, photographer etc), they had to cancel their hotel reception as well.

Anyway they’ve not bothered rebooking anything, they can’t be bothered with it now.

Reactions: 3

not a wedding but we had my mum's 50th bday party in a local golf club - marquee and catered for about 150 people iirc and it came under 2k with a dj, photobooth and decor etc. just don't feel like you have to spend the whole budget and i'd say scrap the blessing. then with it being a party and not the actual wedding, i think you'll remember them both for different reasons!

I got married during covid with the restrictions, I was having the one year anniversary celebration with everyone once covid was over
But we cancelled it and didn’t bother as we had such a perfect day with how the wedding went , didn’t see the point of rehashing it a year later spending unnecessary money

I got married during covid with the restrictions, I was having the one year anniversary celebration with everyone once covid was over
But we cancelled it and didn’t bother as we had such a perfect day with how the wedding went , didn’t see the point of rehashing it a year later spending unnecessary money
This is exactly how I feel .. literally all I’d change about my wedding day is having my sister there but she was shielding and we were restricted on numbers , she joined via FaceTime along with my husband’s brother and our niece .

I think I will compromise and say let’s not have a full on wedding but we can have a big anniversary party in 2023 , book a hall and maybe have a buffet and some dancing . I think that sounds like a good option ! No way in hell I’m wearing my wedding dress though 🤣 I’ve put 2 stone on since then , I can’t imagine it fits !

thanks all for your lovely advice 💕

Has anyone tried Paradox London shoes? I want I love block heel sandal with embellishments, I got some plain ones from Rainbow Club and some shoe clips but they don’t look quite right.

Does the groom need to wear a waistcoat? Would they blend in with other wedding attendees if they didn’t?

Not going down the traditional route but trying to decide if a waistcoat is the cherry on top of a nice suit?!

Does the groom need to wear a waistcoat? Would they blend in with other wedding attendees if they didn’t?

Not going down the traditional route but trying to decide if a waistcoat is the cherry on top of a nice suit?!
I don’t think they have to you can wear what you want! Mr Fudge is wearing one though just because it came with his suit 😆

Mine is, but mainly so he still looks smart as he’ll be removing his suit jacket asap (destination wedding). I defo think it’s optional/personal preference 😊

I’m a bit pissed off, one of my bridesmaids messaged everyone to see if they would chip in to pay for my brunch for the hen (an extra £6.50 each) and my maid of honour is the only one that said no! I didn’t expect anyone to pay anything for me but the fact everyone else has said yes and she’s said no, in fact she didn’t even reply to my bridesmaid she just told me she wasn’t going to pay £6.50 extra! Baring in mind I’ve paid for her dress, make up and hair for the wedding she hasn’t had to pay a penny, I said if you can’t afford to come don’t feel like you have to I don’t want people to be out of pocket but she’s insisting she’s coming! I know money is tight at the moment for everyone but bloody hell £6.50 come on

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
I’d get your kitchen done. And have a new kitchen new marriage party. Bbq or buffet at home. Everyone will be there to celebyTr and the coat will be minimal.
I’m a bit pissed off, one of my bridesmaids messaged everyone to see if they would chip in to pay for my brunch for the hen (an extra £6.50 each) and my maid of honour is the only one that said no! I didn’t expect anyone to pay anything for me but the fact everyone else has said yes and she’s said no, in fact she didn’t even reply to my bridesmaid she just told me she wasn’t going to pay £6.50 extra! Baring in mind I’ve paid for her dress, make up and hair for the wedding she hasn’t had to pay a penny, I said if you can’t afford to come don’t feel like you have to I don’t want people to be out of pocket but she’s insisting she’s coming! I know money is tight at the moment for everyone but bloody hell £6.50 come on
Wow. That’s so upsetting. So sorry. X

• Heart
Can you let me know if I’m being a bit pathetic? I’ve got my ‘hen do’ coming up and I’m planning my outfits in our group chat and the bridesmaids have let me know they’ve bought some things for me to wear. I’m usually really laid back and up for a laugh so not bothered about anything embarrassing but, they’ve bought me something with ‘wifey’ on it to wear in the airport. Personally, I just hate the term it makes me cringe (each to their own) would it look bad if I asked them to return it? Should I just wear it for them?

Can you let me know if I’m being a bit pathetic? I’ve got my ‘hen do’ coming up and I’m planning my outfits in our group chat and the bridesmaids have let me know they’ve bought some things for me to wear. I’m usually really laid back and up for a laugh so not bothered about anything embarrassing but, they’ve bought me something with ‘wifey’ on it to wear in the airport. Personally, I just hate the term it makes me cringe (each to their own) would it look bad if I asked them to return it? Should I just wear it for them?
I’d just go with it. If they’ve bought it they’ve gone to an effort. I also hate the term but it’s just a Word
My view is it’s not worth making a big thing about. Have a fab time x

Reactions: 4
I’d just go with it. If they’ve bought it they’ve gone to an effort. I also hate the term but it’s just a Word
My view is it’s not worth making a big thing about. Have a fab time x
Thank you, I’ll grin and bear it x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.