Wedding outfit - day guest

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Is it OK to wear a black dress to an all-day wedding? It's not completely black, it has floral embroidery on it. I told my mum and she wasn't sure, she thought something lighter might be better.

I'm now really stressing as it's next Fri so no time really to get anything else. My weight has massively ballooned in the past year and I feel so frumpy. I guess I'm just feeling very self conscious 😕 😔

This post started out for advice but ended up as a vent haha 😊

If it’s floral then I think so. Plain black might look like you’re trying to make a statement 😄 can you pair it with a colourful bag or shoes, maybe that match the colour of the bag. I think that would be fine.

Reactions: 3
I had a few guests at my wedding last year who wore black in various styles, it didnt bother us at all I would agree with other posters wear with a bright cardigan or shoes and a bag if u feel like a bit of colour honestly I wouldn't worry

Reactions: 1
I think black with floral looks super smart and definitely wedding appropriate and I agree add a bright accessory(ies)and you'll be perfect. Upload a pic of your dress so we can see it?

Reactions: 2
Plain black, I’d say no but if it’s got floral embroidery then definitely. I’d probably find shoes/bag that match one of the key colours to bring it out a bit and take the focus away from the blackness 😊

Sounds lovely!! Can you post a pic?? Would love to see 😊 and a matching clutch and maybe fascinator in a colour of the embroidered flowers x

I’d say no if it was plain black but if it’s floral I’d imagine it would be fine

I've worn black to a wedding before... I was very unconfident about my body shape at the time and this particular dress hid a multitude of sins (or so I thought). I accessorised with lots of colour and felt fabulous! I think it's what you do with it!

In reality, looking back after a couple of lockdowns... I wish I was still that "fat" 🙄🙄

Thank you everyone 💓 I'm feeling much better. I'm going to match it with some pink shoes I have that are close to the pink in the flowers. Thanks again 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wore black to a wedding and accessorised it with red shoes and bag and a red flower on the dress itself as it was plain.... it was a winter wedding though...

what you have decided to do sounds fab..... black and floral dress with pink shoes sounds lovely..... Have a great time x x

I wore a plain black cap sleeve dress to a wedding a few years ago. I even got a compliment from the bride. I think its white/cream/ivory shades that are controversial.

Reactions: 6
I think it would be fine, I've worn a black silky embroidered strappy dress to a wedding before, I just paired it with bright shoes, bag and necklace.

I honestly couldn't tell you what anyone wore to my wedding apart from the bridal party!

ffmac- have a great day in your gorgeous outfit. It did my heart good seeing all the lovely helpful comment ❤❤❤.

I've worn black to a wedding before, I do wear a lot of black anyway.

I think it always looks better to wear what you feel confident/ comfortable in , and things that are more your personal style, than trying to be too formal/ generic wedding guest type outfit

I’m a bit late to the party but like everyone said, I think this sounds lovely! As long as it’s not a long white dress and a veil, I wouldn’t worry! 😂

Overall though, I think it’s better to wear something you’re comfortable in, rather than something you think is more ‘appropriate’ because you’ll feel uncomfortable, your body language will show that and your posture etc will be much better when you feel comfortable.

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Is it OK to wear a black dress to an all-day wedding? It's not completely black, it has floral embroidery on it. I told my mum and she wasn't sure, she thought something lighter might be better.

I'm now really stressing as it's next Fri so no time really to get anything else. My weight has massively ballooned in the past year and I feel so frumpy. I guess I'm just feeling very self conscious 😕 😔

This post started out for advice but ended up as a vent haha 😊
I think go with what your comfortable in as you’ll be wearing it from morning until night.

Men wear dark suits, usually black, navy or grey so why shouldn’t you wear a dress with black on?!

My bridesmaids wore black for my wedding!

I usually wear navy if im a guest but I've worn black too - nothing wrong with that especially if you're putting it with some brighter shoes

The most important thing is that you're comfortable (and not wearing white!!) so I'd say completely fine 🙂