Wedding invite

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A gay couple i know is getting married next year. All over social media one of them is posting alot of anti boris Johnson stuff.

The thing is they have posted saying that anyone who voted for him and put him in control of their life should not come to their wedding as he is homophobic,racist etc and to basically go f themselves.

Its all kicking off and unfortunately they are very close to me and family member are now distraught by the comments.

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do?. Its a tricky issue but I don't think you can vet peoples voting sides for your wedding. I think they think they know who voted what and are making assumptions as my gran has heard about it and says she will not go because she voted for boris Nd they have basically told her to f herself!. She is beside herself and very upset.

They have friends and family who have voted in different ways so now a few family members have said tey will still go and others won't. I know ita not my place to sort it but I don't know whats right in this situation!

Any advice on what I can do?

Reactions: 5
A gay couple i know is getting married next year. All over social media one of them is posting alot of anti boris Johnson stuff.

The thing is they have posted saying that anyone who voted for him and put him in control of their life should not come to their wedding as he is homophobic,racist etc and to basically go f themselves.

Its all kicking off and unfortunately they are very close to me and family member are now distraught by the comments.

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do?. Its a tricky issue but I don't think you can vet peoples voting sides for your wedding. I think they think they know who voted what and are making assumptions as my gran has heard about it and says she will not go because she voted for boris Nd they have basically told her to f herself!. She is beside herself and very upset.

They have friends and family who have voted in different ways so now a few family members have said tey will still go and others won't. I know ita not my place to sort it but I don't know whats right in this situation!

It is their wedding. If they are wanting to be this way, then let them. You won't change how they feel by interfering. It seems like they are being quite childish. People vote for a candidate for a variety of reasons... I am not in the UK but North America, as much as I hate Trump and it will be hard for some to fathom, not all of his voters are racists/homophobic, etc. In the same way not everyone that voted for Boris is. Some people, especially older, have a party they always vote for and that is that.

Reactions: 4
It is their wedding. If they are wanting to be this way, then let them. You won't change how they feel by interfering. It seems like they are being quite childish. People vote for a candidate for a variety of reasons... I am not in the UK but North America, as much as I hate Trump and it will be hard for some to fathom, not all of his voters are racists/homophobic, etc. In the same way not everyone that voted for Boris is. Some people, especially older, have a party they always vote for and that is that.
Thanks for replying! To be honest one of them always thinks everything is about him and he's taken someone voting for boris as a personal attack on him. Its not like that at all. My gran says she voted for him because she was scared for brexit and she thought he was the only one that supported it. She actually voted to remain but they have made such assumptions about her. She adores them both and is quite heartbroken šŸ˜”

Reactions: 2
Oh for duck sake.
since when are basic toddlers allowed to get married? So childish.

stay the duck out of it and watch it combust from the sidelines. I hope nobody turns up and they have an awful day. šŸ˜

She is beside herself and very upset.
I donā€™t blame her. Iā€™d be pissed for her.

Reactions: 18
At this point, I don't think there's anything you can do. Hopefully time will mend things and it's brushed under the rug before the wedding.

Unfortunately lots of people seem to adopt this 'wrongthink' approach. I've unfriended a few people who post things like 'I believe in x, y and z, if you don't then we're not friends!'. It's not necessarily that I disagree with x, y or z but their mentality that gets my back up!

Humans are complex creatures and we all have our own opinions. If your only friends are those who agree with everything you do then your conversations must be boring as duck. šŸ˜‚ I love nothing more than a good debate!

Reactions: 10
I really despise people like this who make you an outcast and degrade you based on who you vote for. Itā€™s called a *democracy* and *freedom of speech* for a reason. We all have the right to vote for who we like, for whatever reasons.

I feel like there is a LOT of hatred around people who vote for the conservatives and this abuse is quite prevalent online and with the younger Labour supporters.

Your friends attitudes towards this and your gran is actually disgusting. I would say donā€™t go and they can enjoy the day totally alone :) how pathetic to dictate who comes to your wedding based on who they vote for. How would they even check? Anyone could just lie and turn up as a secret Boris supporter. Totally weird

I would say donā€™t go and they can enjoy the day totally alone
Iā€™d hold out for the invite to the ā€œsingle again and ready to mingleā€ divorce party,
and have a knees up with granny until I hear it drop through my letter box. šŸ˜

itā€™s just no way for adults to treat basic strangers online let alone their nearest and dearest!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
They sound like a right pair of cunts to be honest.

And I'm saying this as someone who has never voted Conservative in my life and never would.

Reactions: 15
Although they seem to be behaving a bit extra maybe just leave them to it.It is their big day after allšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
In the uk , the vote is by secret ballot . Nobody has any right to know who someone voted for .

Reactions: 9
It is their big day after allšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Damn I hate that phrase.... I donā€™t know that a set menu and the possibility of a party favor is an excuse to be a bleeping twit.
And controversial, theyā€™re gay!!!
How many decades have gay men faced judgment as gay men in a relationship, getting married, holding hands in public.
And theyā€™re now judging people because of politics!
I say take granny to spoons for an early bird.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
What an embarrassing way for them to act. I think people get very wrapped up in their big day and this is a bridezilla type meltdown. You canā€™t do anything much. If you want to stay out of it but stay on good terms, decline the invite and send a nice gift/ cash and wait for this to blow over.

Reactions: 5
Voting is a private thing in the UK and everyone has the right not to disclose their choice. My FIL has behaved the same this week, said all leave voters (my husband and I) shouldnā€™t get the vaccine and should be left to die. My husband and him have had words and are no longer talking.

Itā€™s not right what they are doing, but itā€™s their wedding and their mess. I would leave it, and let them alienate half their wedding party. Are you planning on going?

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Damn I hate that phrase.... I donā€™t know that a set menu and the possibility of a party favor is an excuse to be a bleeping twit.
And controversial, theyā€™re gay!!!
How many decades have gay men faced judgment as gay men in a relationship, getting married, holding hands in public.
And theyā€™re now judging people because of politics!
I say take granny to spoons for an early bird.

Yep. Difficult to believe people can be that intolerant.

I like that idea, taking granny to Spoons on wedding day!

Love it when people live in a democratic society but canā€™t handle how democracy works and respect peopleā€™s views.

they are very close to me
can you out right tell them theyā€™re being dicks? I missed this last night and assumed they were all just family members, but if youā€™re close with someone you should be able to tell it to them straight.
Have you broached it at all with them?

Honestly, what is wrong with people? If we all only associated with people who have the exact same political views as us, weā€™d all be very lonely people. Me and my husband donā€™t even have the exact same political views - thereā€™s plenty we do agree on but definitely not everything, and we have often voted for different parties in elections over the years.

These two guys are being dicks but thereā€˜s nothing you can do about it apart from respect everyones decision on wether they want to attend the wedding or not, and not get involved. Itā€™s their mess, itā€™s not up to you to clear it up.

Can you not just tell them theyre a pair of absolute idiots? Because, you know, they sound it! Freedom of speech an freedom to vote for who we chose is one of the great things about this country an if they are really offended by someone voting for BoJo to the extent they aren't invited to their big day then that says a lot about them in my opinion! Let them have the day they want but tbh I hope it's tit for them for the upset they are causing people they are close to. An awful immature way to behave!