Washing machine and clothes drying

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
. I'm going to replace my washing machine and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a washer dryer . I don't have space for a separate dryer anymore and this weather is the type of weather when a dryer would come in useful.

Also , what are people's experiences with heated airers. Are they any good?

I have a washer/dryer and don’t ever use the dryer. It just makes everything damp again but slightly warmer 🤣 it was a pretty expensive one too!

I have looked at heated airers a few times but never taken the plunge! I live on my own so only do one or two washes a week and it all dries in a day, I stick it next to a radiator if I want it to dry quicker. They do get good reviews online so I think for a family it would be a good idea.

Reactions: 1
With the combined washer dryer you can only dry half the wash, so have wet washing hanging round so run washer once dryer twice

Reactions: 2
. I'm going to replace my washing machine and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a washer dryer . I don't have space for a separate dryer anymore and this weather is the type of weather when a dryer would come in useful.

Also , what are people's experiences with heated airers. Are they any good?
My mum and mother in law both had washer dryers and said they were rubbish. Didn’t fully dry the washing and took an age.
I used to have a heated airer and I loved it, thought it was great. Definitely sped up drying time and didn’t use much electricity either so wasn’t expensive to run. I really rated mine.

I have a washer and dryer. I don’t often use the dryer for the reasons given by others - takes ages, gets very hot but washing remains damp even after a couple of hours.

That being said, my last washer and dryer died after 10 years (a miracle!) and I did make the decision to repurchase another one, “just in case”. So apparently I wasn't totally put off but typing this out I’ve realised I haven’t used the dryer for at least 2 years!

And that probably coincides with me purchasing a heated clothes airer (the Lakeland one) 2 years ago.

I love my heated airer. It’s not a perfect replacement for a good dryer (but you said that’s not an option space wise anyway).

For me it’s most handy during colder months (most months in the uk!) and speeds up drying time (compared to a normal clothes horse).

My main issue was that clothes air drying in the winter were smelling of damp as it was taking 3 days for t shirts to dry - heated airer has eradicated that problem.

Right now I just use it unplugged, as it isn’t super duper quick and so in warmer monthsI don’t find it much use.

I live alone and so do not have a lot of washing - this means I can hang an item over two bars - this helps with circulation and speeds up drying time.

Underwear and tea towels are fine on one bar, but bigger items (t shirts) don’t dry well when packed closely together.

Although pricey I’m also glad i splashed out on the cover. Bunging on a sheet would achieve a similar effect but the official cover covers all sides and really keeps in the heat. Usually buying the cover with the airer works out a bit cheaper.

I’m slightly concerned about the extra condensation created as I’m in a small flat but it hasn’t been bad so far.

I have a washer and dryer. I don’t often use the dryer for the reasons given by others - takes ages, gets very hot but washing remains damp even after a couple of hours.

That being said, my last washer and dryer died after 10 years (a miracle!) and I did make the decision to repurchase another one, “just in case”. So apparently I wasn't totally put off but typing this out I’ve realised I haven’t used the dryer for at least 2 years!

And that probably coincides with me purchasing a heated clothes airer (the Lakeland one) 2 years ago.

I love my heated airer. It’s not a perfect replacement for a good dryer (but you said that’s not an option space wise anyway).

For me it’s most handy during colder months (most months in the uk!) and speeds up drying time (compared to a normal clothes horse).

My main issue was that clothes air drying in the winter were smelling of damp as it was taking 3 days for t shirts to dry - heated airer has eradicated that problem.

Right now I just use it unplugged, as it isn’t super duper quick and so in warmer monthsI don’t find it much use.

I live alone and so do not have a lot of washing - this means I can hang an item over two bars - this helps with circulation and speeds up drying time.

Underwear and tea towels are fine on one bar, but bigger items (t shirts) don’t dry well when packed closely together.

Although pricey I’m also glad i splashed out on the cover. Bunging on a sheet would achieve a similar effect but the official cover covers all sides and really keeps in the heat. Usually buying the cover with the airer works out a bit cheaper.

I’m slightly concerned about the extra condensation created as I’m in a small flat but it hasn’t been bad so far.
Having to quote my own post like an idiot because I’ve run out of time to edit.

Just realised I said I had a washer AND dryer throughout and I don’t!! I have a washer dryer (2 in 1). 🤦🏻‍♀️

Hope that makes more sense now as to why I left my mega long post!

I agree with everyone who said to get and electric airer. They are great, don’t cost much to run and any concerns about condensation can be solved using a cheap gel/ electric humidifier. Even better if you can put it on at night when the lower electricity tariffs kick in.

Reactions: 3
I own a heated airer and its great for drying sheets/ towels but would takes days to dry clothes. Although to be fair it was only a £35 minky one.

I have no idea what make mine is but I put a towel on it, washing, another towel and it dries a treat

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'll look for a heated airer.

I can go weeks without using my tumble dryer , I just tend to use it in the warmer months and I only use it for certain things.

I managed to get my towels and jeans dried outside today before it rained. I feel pleased with myself about that haha.

With the combined washer dryer you can only dry half the wash, so have wet washing hanging round so run washer once dryer twice
My dryer has a tiny capacity. It only drys a few items at a time. I only use it for certain things as I'm scared things might shrink.

I'm now ready to buy a heated airer. I've been considering the Drysoon ones from Lakeland. Probably the mini or the pod ( which is the cheapest) . I do enough washing to fill a big one , but not sure how often I'll need to use it through out the year, and there's the space issue .

I'm now ready to buy a heated airer. I've been considering the Drysoon ones from Lakeland. Probably the mini or the pod ( which is the cheapest) . I do enough washing to fill a big one , but not sure how often I'll need to use it through out the year, and there's the space issue .
Let us know how you get on, must confess in winter I put my clothes on mine before I get dressed

Depending on the price difference, try pick the one that suits your needs. It’s an investment but hopefully a buy once and done thing. I use mine all year round (don’t plug it in unless I need to) so the more traditional style suits my needs.

Where would you dry the stuff that doesn’t fit the pod? You mention space - you don’t want to end up with a heated airer and then normal airers all over the space! what is the footprint of the pod Vs mini like?

How do you plan to dry big towels and bedding?

Depending on the price difference, try pick the one that suits your needs. It’s an investment but hopefully a buy once and done thing. I use mine all year round (don’t plug it in unless I need to) so the more traditional style suits my needs.

Where would you dry the stuff that doesn’t fit the pod? You mention space - you don’t want to end up with a heated airer and then normal airers all over the space! what is the footprint of the pod Vs mini like?

How do you plan to dry big towels and bedding?
I've got a couple of normal airers but they are in different rooms from each other. I put my washing out on the line when the weather allows it . I find thinner things dry fairly quickly in the house when the the heating is on . I sometimes put things on the radiator too

I have a washer/dryer and I love it - I’m in the minority clearly 🤣 I’ve never had a separate dryer so perhaps that’s my issue!

What do you do with the half load of wet washing whilst the other half is drying?
we’ve got a 9kg washer/6kg drier so either I do a slightly smaller load (which is big enough with just 2 of us) and dry it all, or more often than not there are quite a few non tumble dry things in there so I just take them out and dry them on an airer. Means we don’t have pants/socks etcw drying in the background of my other half’s teams calls, and a lot less clothes air drying in the house reducing the the damp air floating around

I’ve never had an issue with things not being dry… yeah we spent a fair bit on it but IMO it was well worth it

I got the lakeland one reconditioned off their ebay a couple of years ago and I've never had a problem

We have a washer/dryer, the dryer part just makes everything damp, even if I put something in to warm it though, it comes out damp!
We have 3 airers on the landing and use a electric dehumidifier to stop mould and it helps dry the clothes quicker!