Viewing/buying a property

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I'm anticipating selling my 3 bed semi in March/April. What makes a property more appealing to you? Or what would put you off putting an offer in?! Any general tips appreciated.

You want to be able to see yourself living there, so in terms of decor I think it should be relatively plain (white walls, nice furnishings but not to garish if you know what I mean?). Tidy and clean, including the outside area.
A purpose for every room - so rather than a spare room that’s a bit of a dumping ground, give it a purpose (spare bedroom, office etc).
and this is just personal preference but whenever I’ve viewed a house I’ve always felt really awkward when the owners are there. I know it’s not always possible to be out of the house when someone’s viewing but if it is possible I think you need to be (not sure what the protocol is with covid at the moment anyway)

Reactions: 1
I find it really hard to see past people’s stuff, whilst I’m fully aware that it won’t be there when I move in, I just can’t see past it. So as minimal as you can whilst still living of course.

Reactions: 2
Thankyou both! I have sold before but still keen to have your points of view and advice😊 Think it might be either virtual viewings or we'd have to leave whilst ppl look round! I have no problem with that.

Put all personal stuff out of sight. Dress the rooms like it’s a show house. Stick all clutter in a cupboard. Don’t have any stuff in the bathroom like shampoo bottles around the bath or kids toys etc

Is setting the dining table etc too contrived? Do we spend on hanging baskets etc.. I think yes but I tend to be over the top...I want to sell but really don't want to waste money. Fresh flowers around inside?

Is setting the dining table etc too contrived? Do we spend on hanging baskets etc.. I think yes but I tend to be over the top...I want to sell but really don't want to waste money.
I wouldn’t set the table but I’d buy a nice bunch of flowers and have them on the table? Wouldn’t buy hanging baskets etc.

Flower is a nice idea, you can easily get tulips for £3 now at Tesco, is pretty and not OTD. Definitely not setting the table. Fun fact, my sis is a little prick lol, she judged her sellers by the books that they're reading - I think your personal possessions will somehow tell a buyer what kind of a person you are in a way.

Also good to understand your buyer, if they are a young family, I would want to showcase where I store my kids so the can envision it - basically showcasing that this will be a happy family home; if young professional, I would highlight the area that we work since we're all wfh now - make sure it is airy and bright. I find it hard to look past others' stuff too

Sell the lifestyle as much as the house. People will see your stuff so make it aspirational. If it means spending a couple of hundred quid on some matchy cushions, getting the sofa cleaned and fancy hand wash etc do it.
It doesn't have to be impersonal but pack most things away and just show off the good life. Things that say 'the person that lives here has their tit together, they live a nice lifestyle' - Food or travel books or magazines, organic bathroom products, white company hand wash, white fluffy towels if you have them out, fresh fruit. Not 'in your face' but little indicators.
The reality might be a holiday is unaffordable and you don't have time to cook, head and shoulders is your preferred brand, the organic stuff is shite and you need dark, patterned towels because the kids wreck anything white but you're selling the dream.
Also, it can never be too clean and make sure it smells really clean. De clutter any coat and shoe racks too, particularly if it's the first thing you see.