Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tried the KFC vegan burger today - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also recommend Linda McCartney Hoisin Duck meal kit. I used to love crispy duck pancakes and this is soooo close to the 'real thing'.

Reactions: 6
I like these and have just ordered some more. I have them with American mustard in a roll.View attachment 557410
If you have a Kosher section in your supermarket, try the rest of the Tivall stuff! I was raised on these sausages, the burgers, schnitzels and nuggets😂 I think a lot of the stuff has eggs in though so be careful if you're vegan x

Reactions: 3
My beloved naked glory mince has been discontinued - what are the best fridge vegan minces (not quorn please) for a good spag bol. Preferably not something that disintegrates and needs to be bulked out loads please!! I liked the aldi one but I think it was only a veganuary thing.

My beloved naked glory mince has been discontinued - what are the best fridge vegan minces (not quorn please) for a good spag bol. Preferably not something that disintegrates and needs to be bulked out loads please!! I liked the aldi one but I think it was only a veganuary thing.
Have you tried this before?

• Wow
Oh my god since when did this exist?? I'll defo be trying that because the sausages are a holy grail product at this point :love: :love:
Oh yay I’m glad you like my suggestion! I think it’s fairly new and came out when the meat-less balls 🤣 did! I really like it and won’t use anything else now! It has so much flavour and is really filling! Xxx

• Heart
That's a shame about the naked glory one being discontinued! The best mince I've tried is Naturli, Meatless Farm is a close second!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I got a pack of this the other day from Asda and it’s delicious, I think squeaky bean are bang on the money for butties and wrap fillers!
EF615D21-0CA7-4F7E-94D3-BC992B825188.jpeg

Reactions: 5
If you have a Kosher section in your supermarket, try the rest of the Tivall stuff! I was raised on these sausages, the burgers, schnitzels and nuggets😂 I think a lot of the stuff has eggs in though so be careful if you're vegan x
My order came and it was these! I guess they are the same, but smaller. 😆
85EE0D41-EE4B-4541-867D-CF9A13D972F9.jpeg

Reactions: 2
Are they garlicky?
I’m not really sure what seasonings they use but it isn’t spicy, more like an overpowering smoky, salty, and yeah probably garlicky taste. They do carry quite a lot of flavour but it’s not your usual herby flavour like the sausages you’d have with mash or in a butty. I think they’re trying to imitate a beef hotdog.

Reactions: 1
The Vivera one is great ☺

That's a shame about the naked glory one being discontinued! The best mince I've tried is Naturli, Meatless Farm is a close second!
I didn't love Naturli's mince but the "no chick", I think they were called, chicken chunks were great! I was gutted when couldn't find them any more. Also the sausages/hot dogs. They were so tasty. Does anyone know why the Naturli meat replacements disappeared from Sainsbury's? They still sell the Naturli butter, both block and spreadable so I don't understand why stop the other products. Unless it's just my Sainsbury's? 😭😭😭

I got a pack of this the other day from Asda and it’s delicious, I think squeaky bean are bang on the money for butties and wrap fillers!
View attachment 565752
I recently tried these:
1620564501133.png

The texture was very chicken like, very moist but it had a bit of that sweet/bitter aftertaste some meat replacements do. I fried them up in a pan and had in a pita bread with salad and garlic sauce so I couldn't taste the slightly stranger aftertaste but be warned! ;)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
I forgot who was asking about spreads/sandwich fillers but this is what I make:

- chickpea mayo (like egg mayo) - cook your own chickpeas or use tinned ones, you don't want to blend them so they're mushy but rather have chunks so it's better to squash them with the back of a fork or potato masher. Add mayonnaise until you reach desired consistency. Season with salt an pepper, can also add a bit turmeric for flavour and deeper yellow colour, paprika/smoked paprika, chopped chives or salad onion (green onion). I like to sprinkle mine with Nigella seeds but I do it when I make the sandwich rather than in advance (I just am not sure how Nigella seeds behave in something like this, I worry they'd overpower it or stain it black), or salad cress (so you have like an egg and cress sandwich).
You can also add a bit of the "black salt". It gives it an eggy taste. I personally cannot stand it but my two vegan besties love it.
- tofu "cottage cheese" - blend one block of plain, "natural", firm tofu with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of plant milk of choice, 2 tablespoons of mild oil (I like sunflower but a mild olive oil works too), season with salt and pepper. Can also add a spoonful of sauerkraut juice if you ever buy sauerkraut. It just adds extra acidity and takes away the "bean-y" taste tofu sometimes has. Add chopped chives/green onion or favourite herbs. I like dill and parsley, either on their own or mixed. When I say blend, I actually mean pulse - so there is texture in it, like it would be in a cottage cheese. You might also want to press the tofu before blending/pulsing. The one I buy, doesn't really require that step but it's worth noting that some of them do.
- smoked tofu spread - it's honestly like a smoked fish pate. 1x block of smoked tofu, blend with 1-2 tablespoons of mayo, couple of teaspoons of mild oil, a teaspoon of lemon juice or apple vinegar, a teaspoon of mustard (Dijon is nice here but anything aside from wholegrain will do), a teaspoon of soy sauce. You can add a sheet of nori seaweed for extra sea/"fishy" flavour. Season with salt and pepper.
This one is lovely on a crusty baguette or fresh bread. It's good to keep this one in the fridge overnight for the flavours can combine.
The same recipe works for flavoured tofus - I buy a lot of the Taifun Tofu and there is a basil one, there are those wild garlic "filets", there is a Mediterranean one called "Rosso" with tomatoes and olives, and they all work in the above recipe. You might want to add onions if you use a flavoured tofu instead of smoked. Chop very finely 1 shallot of half a small onion. You might want to marinate the chopped onions in a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to take the edge off (so it doesn't taste like a completely raw onion, if that makes sense).

I know these are a bit extra but I just love cooking and cook from scratch a lot and love adding lots of interesting toppings to my food. Feel free to ask questions. Also you don't have to be super precise as to how much lemon juice/mayo/soy sauce etc to use - just add a little at a time, mix it in, taste, and add more if needed.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I typed vegan into the Iceland search box and came up with quite a few things. These are some of them. The No Bull mince was highly rated.
518F16D6-FF09-4A0C-8BD4-31BEE65330C4.jpeg
4AD608AA-84F2-4E33-B5F1-84A55B67C712.jpeg
E72502D6-EE38-4BFA-ADBD-C464C9E922BD.jpeg
970E07C1-0E00-406E-9922-B1A80CE98C9D.jpeg
1D521BEB-3636-4D0B-97BF-786C942177DB.jpeg
FD18ACBA-F511-4FB1-91BB-3BBD2493A9BC.jpeg
B45946B7-860C-448E-B390-7770BB92193A.jpeg
A342AA1B-D88C-4754-B628-1EBD8C2AE5D7.jpeg

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.